ZIMBABWE: My Recent Hunt With Dalton & York Safaris

Thanks for telling the Global Entry story. I leave tomorrow for Africa again and do NOT have this in place...TSA pre, yes but not Global Entry. Your wife's experience is a good inspiration for us to get this in place.

great report and thank you for sharing it with us. Sorry there was no cat in the salt but is sounds like you still had a great hunt. congrats!

Great report! Sounds like lots of action! Nice seeing a report where a CEB raptor is used on buff (416 taylor cool too). Looks like the back of the bullet drove through as designed, did you happen to get a look at internal damage from the petals?

Nice report congratulations. You are really lucky the accidental cow buffalo ended well. It could have easily turned into a long and possibly dangerous day.

I loaded some 100gr CEB bullets in my Contender carbine in 30/30 with a 21” barrel, and easily got 2700fps with them.
Nice, thanks for the feedback. Have you shot anything with them yet?

ACM, Unfortunately the day I shot the bull with the Raptor was our last hunting day. And we still had a leopard hunt that afternoon. So I wasn’t able to do the forensics I would have liked to.

But the bull died almost immediately. And the cow within 60 yards of the shot.

Seeing what the 100 grain raptors did on the Impala. I’m guessing by the shot placement that the heart was absolutely destroyed along with a huge portion of the lungs.

Last edited:
The bull would have been just out of the frame by the red dot. And made this far. We turned him as he is for pictures.
IMG_4808.jpeg

Great report! Sounds like lots of action! Nice seeing a report where a CEB raptor is used on buff (416 taylor cool too). Looks like the back of the bullet drove through as designed, did you happen to get a look at internal damage from the petals?
I shot a bull last year with a 458 Raptor and it did quite a bit of internal damage. I hit him mid shoulder and he dropped immediately. Even though I hit him lower than the spine, it still broke his spine. I imagine the 416 would do pretty much the same.

I shot a bull last year with a 458 Raptor and it did quite a bit of internal damage. I hit him mid shoulder and he dropped immediately. Even though I hit him lower than the spine, it still broke his spine. I imagine the 416 would do pretty much the same.
All I will use this deer season, my elk hunt, and Africa in 2025. I’m gonna give honest assessment and pictures of all

Congratulations on a great hunt in the Zambezi Valley! It sounds like a bang up safari with Dalton and York. Dalton was my appy PH when I hunted with Martin Pieters back in 2009 in the Omay and was an energetic and capable young man then. Glad to see he has matured into a fine PH! Sorry about the leopard but they are challenging anywhere, more so when one has to call off the hunt at twilight! Always a good reason to plan another trip...

And thanks for the heads up on going through Doha with scopes in your carry-on. I like Qatar and use them often but they are sticklers when it comes to flying with firearms. Global Entry is great to have but is only slightly worse than dealing with the DMV. Glad you have it approved finally.

Thanks Bwana, Dalton is a very driven PH. He is a true hunter and killer.

On the Global Entry

Yeah I was hesitant to give the government tacit approval to use facial recognition on the ID card. But my military retire ID already uses it. And so now I can be tracked in any public space and crowd. But since the military ID already had it without my choice. No further loss of freedom.

Jay great report

Thanks for telling the Global Entry story. I leave tomorrow for Africa again and do NOT have this in place...TSA pre, yes but not Global Entry. Your wife's experience is a good inspiration for us to get this in place.
I just filed my Gobal Entry submission given I go to Africa every year

I just filed my Gobal Entry submission given I go to Africa every year

I’m sitting in DFW airport headed back to Africa and thinking about getting the Global Entry.

Congrats for a great hunt :D Cheers:

And thanks for a very detailed report with lots of pics

Awesome write up! Great story writing well done sir! Sounds like an amazing time!!! I’ll be there next year at the end of July, early August for Tusked Cow Elephant, Buff, and plains game…
If I weren’t already excited enough your story has me wanting to just grab my gear and start walking that way now lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruthie0197

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]