ZIMBABWE: Leopard, Buffalo Hunt With MJK Safaris

That is a great cat, congrats :D Cheers:

Reactions: JHT
Congratulations on your nice leopard. They are truly special trophies. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Wow, what a beautiful cat, congrats!!!!

Judicially done I might add!

“So what a man has got to do is take a little time off as he grows older, and devote the waste space to remembering the things he did that he maybe won’t never do again” – Robert Ruark​

Driving back to camp, Tinie explains the history of the cat. His name was Mr. T. He had been hunted over 30 times. He had only been seen on one other occasion. This was a full two years ago, coincidentally also by Tinie, and an older gentleman, who was given the greenlight but, yet, after 25 minutes, never fired. Four other PH’s have hunted him and of all the leopards in Makuti, he was the one Tinie wanted the most. As far as age goes, I’ve heard estimates as old as ten years.

I am obviously humbled. I am also a bit embarrassed as I’ve done nothing other than paid money and pulled a trigger.

Tinie messages one of the other PH’s who’ve hunted him and gives her the news. He also explains that when a big animal like leopard is taken that you take the rest of the day off. This is welcome news as a camp day seems just what the doctor ordered.

We drop the cat off at the skinning shed and head to breakfast. Afterwards, I’m back to the shed to supervise skinning and snap a few pics. It is hot but I rest in my tent and message my family and friends that my target animal is down.

Dinner that night is one of the biggest T-bones I have ever seen – a product of Tinie’s private stock reserved for such occasions.

The plan for the next seven days begins with buffalo; however, I could lay and egg the rest of the trip and still fly home happy. Everything from this point forward is lagniappe. My mood is one of disbelief and thanksgiving and although I wouldn’t be disappointed flying home without a buffalo, I certainly wouldn’t turn one down if the opportunity arose.

IMG_6667.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

“I am obviously humbled. I am also a bit embarrassed as I’ve done nothing other than paid money and pulled a trigger.”

Being prepared with your weapon and doing your job at crunch time is your part of the teams success.

It’s a strange feeling taking the life of a special animal.

Congrats on a nice leopard!

Big congratulations on the leopard! Looking forward to rest of the report.

Congrats on a wonderful trophy!

“Your papers should be like a woman’s dress – long enough to cover everything, but short enough to be interesting” – Baptist preacher and former high school history teacher Billy Harris​

We begin the next morning at the range. I would have bet the farm that my rifle was seven inches left but is dead on. Until now, vandalism was my only theory. I am more confused than before but will solve the mystery soon.

From there to Chimba where we see some kudu cows, a bushbuck female, and a beautiful impala ram; however, although I love impala, since I have one bigger we don’t pursue.

From Chimba, Tinie drives to Marongora where we see the waterbuck of my dreams, another bushbuck female, an elephant bull and zebra. The waterbuck is a bonafide shooter; however, is within 400 meters of water and is therefore illegal.

The next day we head to Sable Springs and climb the mountain that gave me trouble the first day. I am stronger now and we glass. After an hour, Tinie whistles and I make my way to him. He is unhappy and reports that a monster warthog was near but left as he was trying to get my attention. Hoping to make him feel better, I tell him I wouldn’t have shot the warthog anyway.

From the distance we see bushbuck, kudu cows, impala, and klipspringer but decide to drive to Marongora to see if the waterbuck has moved from the safety zone. Away from the dam and on legal ground, we see a second waterbuck male. He is 250 yards uphill and not as big as the one from the day before. Tinie sets up the sticks and asks could I make the shot. The leopard episode has stolen my confidence; however, and I reply, “I can try.” This is obviously not the answer Tinie wants so he grabs the sticks and begins walking back toward the cruiser. I follow although I feel like attempting to close the distance to within 200 was a viable option.

IMG_6688.jpeg

IMG_6679.jpeg

IMG_6673.jpeg

Congrats on the Leopard. Beautiful cat!

Rev. Billy Harris is a real character. I went with him hunting elk in Colorado,and last year he went to South Africa.

A hunter,preacher,story teller and teacher. Too bad there aren't more teachers like him.

“I'm back in the saddle again
Out where a friend is a friend” – Gene Autry​

We start day six by checking Sable Springs and, sure enough, two buffalo have watered. We follow the dugga boys. I have my “this is dangerous” moment but continue. The tracks are fresh and we see in the sand where both have urinated. Twice they go to the road but don’t cross. They are pretty much paralleling the road that also doubles as the boundary. I can tell they are near because Tinie and the trackers have slowed. Tinie is also glassing ahead.

We follow to the road once more and confirm by tracks on the other side that they have crossed. We pick up litter on the roadside, put in the bed of the cruiser and head back to camp for lunch.

After lunch we head toward Tower to check for dugga boy sign. Not far from the blacktop we hear tap, tap, tap on the roof. Tinie slows the cruiser, talks with the trackers, then turns to me and asks, “you wouldn’t want to shoot a 50-inch kudu would you?” Figuring I could send a message that I’m not tire-kicking and knowing that a little blood and guts might be good for company moral, I answer, “yeah, I’ll shoot a kudu.”

Tinie stops the cruiser, I load up and he and I double back on the road. It is not long before we spot him. He is approximately 55 yards away but standing behind a forked tree where his vitals are covered by a wall of green leaves. I am on the sticks but Tinie says to wait. “I can punch it through those green leaves,” I tell him. “No, wait,” he replies. “I can punch it through those green leaves,” I tell him again. “Well, if you can do it, do it,” he answers.

Tinie cries “smoked” at the shot. The kudu runs up the hill but is quickly out of gas. He turns and starts walking - too proud to die. He crumbles not far in front of us as we have already begun heading his way. “Freaking proper lung blood, aye,” Tinie exclaims as we cross his trail. I am filming the recovery. We approach the downed animal where Tinie stands on his toes on leans for a better view. “You couldn’t have hit him in a freaking better place,” he says more to himself than anyone.

The kudu is a turning point in our relationship and I go from client to friend at 2400 feet per second. On the way back to the skinning shed, I can only imagine that Tine is thinking something to the effect of, “wow, he actually has been on the butt end of a gun before.”

We drop the kudu off with the skinner and head back to Tower where we strike out on buffalo sign.

IMG_6695.jpeg

IMG_2830.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad92Q

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?