ZIMBABWE: Elephant & Leopard In Zimbabwe - Cancellation Hunt Report

Here you can see his length as he is fully in view. Due to reference points on the ground, we knew he was over 7' long.

STC_0233.JPG

Notice also the time of arrival...very important. He was very late to the bait and this indicated he had found it towards the end of his nightly rounds...probably not too far from his sleeping area during the day. Usually by 5am they are wrapping up their movement and are back close to their rock kopje to rest for the day.

One more photo to show the size, length and shoulders of this cat. We could also see that he had a dewlap under his chin, which is an indication of age and size.

STC_0234.JPG

These next 2 photos solidified our plan to work this cat. He is marking the bait as the alpha male. He's basically telling other cats, hyenas and little civet cats, etc that the boss is here and it's his meat. Literally piss off! Very dominant behavior. The PHs said we have him now!

STC_0237.JPG

STC_0236.JPG

Bait setups refined…

Now that the cat we are looking for is on camera and on bait, we have to prep to sit for him tonight. This is a fairly complex, detailed problem to solve. I found it to be fascinating. Essentially, there are 3 main components…the bait setup refined…the shooting blind…and the waiting or sleeping blind.

The bait is in place obviously but now we have to prep it a bit more to give us the realtime feedback we need to let us know when the cat has arrived without changing anything that would be off putting to the cat returning to feed. There have been many methods over the years like putting a fishing line on the bait and running it back to the shooting blind so you can feel the bait being pulled and eaten. That’s fine but we have better technology now.

A few words about technology…obviously there is NO substitute for being able to read sign around a bait site…but you should embrace technology that can help make you more successful. There are listening devices that can transmit to headphones back where you are sitting, well out of site of the bait…there are game cameras with timers…there are thermal imagers to make sure it’s a leopard on bait not a hyena…video cameras that can film the shot…mechanical rifle rests that lock your gun down and require little to no movement to shoot…rheostat controls to slowly bring up the shooting light, etc. Your PH is well aware of all of this and has a favorite combination of things to use. Everyone approaches this setup differently and there’s no real right or wrong way…but I do believe there are better ways to do things. I really liked how we solved this problem.

I will let PH Benny explain to you our approach to the problem…

Shooting blind…

The shooting blind needs to be built but you have already decided that location when you built the bait setup. You have also already cleared a shooting path between the bait and the blind BEFORE the cat hit the bait. You want as little disturbance around the bait as possible so nothing really changes from the cat’s perspective.

Some guys like pre-fab blinds but my PHs like to build from natural materials onsite. Either way, you’re going to camouflage the shooting blind with natural materials like dead grass, green branches, etc.

The shooting blind is where you will identify the animal on bait is a leopard…and this is ideally done without turning on the light. In our case, we used a thermal imager or night vision. You will have to ID it as a male…this can only be done by verifying the leopard has balls…you do NOT determine sex by size or anything else…you must be certain of this! This ID is confirmed by use of optics and in our case, we had a spotting scope wired into the shooting blind that required no movement. It was already zoomed in and focused on the bait.

The lighting setup is wired to the shooting blind with its battery source of power. The rifle and shooting rest is put into place and the shooting blind is built around that. Everything is built around the shooting position. In our case, this is a standing position…no seats, nothing to move or make sound. You want to be able to walk up to the rifle and be ready to shoot with no movement or sound.

We took great care to make sure the rifle scope was parallax free and in focus…also the reticle is not placed on the bait but offset where you have positioned the cat’s vital area to be in all of the baiting setup. Ideally, when the cat is ID’d and the light comes up, the reticle is on or very close to being exactly where it needs to be. You also determine the exact range from shooting blind to bait and you will check your rifle at that range precisely and adjust as needed back at camp before coming to the blind that night. When all of this is verified, you will have the rifle in the rest, chamber a round and take the rifle off safety so there is no possible sound that can happen…no fumbling of any mechanical device. Others do it their way but this was our approach.

We built numerous shooting blinds for various baits and their ranges varied from 60 yards at the closest to 110 yards at the furthest. It depended entirely on the terrain of that area. You want to make certain that in your approach to the shooting blind that you are never seen from the bait’s perspective…never sky lined. So we always built that into the terrain and it was usually at a higher position than the bait itself but at the top or beyond the top of a hill. Success is in the details.

All of these details were discussed, built and verified by multiple sets of eyes. Everyone checks everyone’s work. Nothing is decided independently and all is verified. No mistakes as at best, you will only get one shot at this.

Resting/sleeping blind…

The 3rd and final component is the resting or sleeping blind. I think this is a huge part of what makes my PHs successful on cats. You want this well back from the shooting blind. In our case, it was around 100 yards behind it. In some cases you might be even further depending on the terrain. If for some reason, the leopard walks past the shooting blind on the way into the bait, you do not want to be near it.

It's vitally important that you have cleared a walking path from the shooting blind back to the resting blind. It must be completely clear down to the dirt. No roots sticking up…nothing sharp or noisy….you will be walking down this in your socks or barefoot in the dark. For us, we were barefoot. Obviously you don’t want to step on a sharp rock or root and cut your foot. Clear that path!

The resting blind is pretty simple as you just want to have some natural cover and you are in the middle of it. The main thing is getting comfortable in this blind. You are probably going to spend a lot of time in it. Bring some snacks and water…toilet paper is essential…air mattress, pillow and blanket in case you are there all night…warm jacket/hat…etc. You are going to be laying there for hours while the PHs listen on their headphones to the microphones at the bait. You will probably fall asleep if you are there long enough. No one can stay vigilant from 4pm to 5am without nodding off. If anyone snores, wake them up! All 3 of us had to shake each other awake at times to keep it quiet.

Such a thorough and detailed report. Really enjoying even though I’ve successfully hunted leopard many times. Just a lot of ah-ha moments and oh yeh, I remember that now. Thanks for taking the time to put this all together. No small task and greatly appreciated. Wonderful resource for those curious about leopard hunting plans.

Thanks. I like documenting things to cement my own memories and learning but also wanted to share with others since that’s what this forum is all about.

a great read and amazing attention to detail from your PH. A sleeping blind really? That’s a smart tactic. Instead of stinking up the shooting blind, and surrounding area. A lot of extra work for PH

The sleeping blind was a brilliant move. It removes all sight, scent and sound from the shooting blind. If you sneeze back there, you can get away with it. You can talk quietly, etc and it's ok.

a great read and amazing attention to detail from your PH. A sleeping blind really? That’s a smart tactic. Instead of stinking up the shooting blind, and surrounding area. A lot of extra work for PH
You never know when that level of detail will pay off. I was laying still in that sleeping blind and with no warning, got a massive cramp in my leg. It was one of those very painful Charlie horse cramps. I was locked up for 2 hours and could barely move. You know how debilitating those can be! I was grateful for the sleeping blind and also for the fact that the cat did not choose that time to visit!

So, you do all the hard work of getting setup for the right leopard...all of the myriad of details to work through...like an interesting game of chess thinking ahead to what the animal might do...and then you sit...and sit...and wait. As the PHs said, we did our part and now he has to do his part. So we waited all night in the sleep blind...twice we heard eating through the headphones and went forward to find a brown hyena on the bait. Nothing else the first night.

We knew no mistakes had been made and we were in the right place. Also, we checked the other bait cameras and he didn't hit any other baits BUT the younger male came in again on the same ground bait. We talked briefly but stayed the course and remained focused on the bigger male.

We sat another night...no movement. We have one more night, so we sit again...nothing. We sit there looking at each other. One of the PHs says man...in 9 years that's only the 2nd time I haven't gotten the cat. I look at him and say, this was one of the best hunts I've ever had. The goal was to come and learn as much as I could about leopard hunting and I feel successful about that!

Hunting isn't about guarantees. It's about learning and experiencing things you would never see back home. I had tremendous luck on this hunt...a large ele (and we still need to discuss that ivory)...a monster eland...monster duiker...cool kudu and good shooting on bait animals...and we came up short on the cat. The best we could figure is he made a kill on the way to meet us at the bait and it broke his pattern. Somewhere he killed a cow or impala and didn't need to come back to us. Maybe another day or three...or maybe not. Cats are interesting...and random!

Here's something I didn't expect from this hunt...I know I love ele...and I like buffalo too...but I thought I would come to hunt a cat and feel like I was done with that itch. I don't think I am. I think the riddle of figuring out what a cat will do and getting there ahead of him is growing on me. I don't think I'm done with cats. I really loved hunting them and don't regret the decision we made to focus on the big alpha male instead of shooting the younger adult male. I came expecting a challenge and wasn't disappointed. What do you think?

More to come on that ivory and some thoughts on bullet performance on this hunt.

Leopard was my first and only animal I have taken from the Big 5. As you mentioned I thought I would cross that off my list. With all these last minute deals coming up this year it was difficult to hold my self from getting back out there. Loved everything about the hunt, but next time I am thinking of using hounds. Also working on booking my mountain lion hunt here in the states. Congratulations on your amazing hunt and thank you for sharing.

Super great writing, and what a close to home story. My first hunt to Africa was for leopard in Namibia and in all honesty, the only animal I really ever wanted from that continent (originally). Truly my "if I could hunt just one animal in my life" unobtainable goals, but a lucky auction winner as a kid got me there. 10 days and nothing on bait but honey badgers. Tried hounds that frankly were untrained, also tracking, but to no avail.

Headed back again next year for leopard and elephant as well (over 2 decades later). I'm sure I'll read this many times before I leave as the anticipation continues to build. Looking forward to more about the tusks and your bullet performance experience.

Truly enjoyed the read. - Next time, right...!?

Recovered bullets

I think recovered bullets are really interesting topics. I only recovered 2 bullets on this trip to Africa. I think there were 17 animals shot including from small to big...duiker, impala, kudu, zebra, eland and elephant. The vast majority (12) were impala for baiting leopard. The 2 bullets used this hunt were the Norma Oryx bullet, 156 grain 7mm caliber and the North Fork cupped point solid, 400 grain .416 caliber.

I recovered the single 7mm bullet from an impala shot that entered left back leg and was against the skin on the off side front shoulder. Every other shot on 14 animals up to kudu size (same as elk) was an exit. Every shot dropped the animal immediately or within a few short yards. The lead tracker had a funny phrase sometimes on fast kills he would yell "Center!"

I also recovered a single bullet on the .416 solid. The recovery was on that follow-up shot to my 2000 lb eland. It entered one inch from the root of the tail and crossed to the opposite front shoulder. That's over 4 feet of penetration through the stomach, rumen, etc which is a VERY tough medium on a bullet. Notice this design of an expanding solid...the nose rivets and the body of the bullet doesn't change. We did not find the bullets from the elephant (shoulder shot and insurance shot on head) and the zebra. The zebra was an exit and the elephant bullet recovery was difficult with 100 villagers crawling all over the animal.

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

Took a quick measurement of both bullets. 7mm soft expanded from .284 to .698, which is a 41% expansion.

386059711_6579652325422831_7861125865938261335_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txhunter210

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!