Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Apparently, these guys should be given a wide berth and have suspect business practices.

The original thread has been removed.

If you have some facts to add, please do so.

If not, .....

Thank you. That last bag was starting to get stale.

Philip Mafuta Is the name to avoid IMO
he seems to be the chief operator in multiple unsavory safari operations
enough said

With the exception of "Discount Safaris", and unfortunately, we didn't see how far up the chain of command things started to unravel or at least raise a red flag.

“Mafuta” Swahili for fat. Is it even his real name ?

I don’t know anything about any of it other than the OP was just trying to warn people and got chased off the site…
He was understandably upset. I don’t think a single member of AH is unsympathetic towards his situation, some were empathetic. If it was all true, which given the operator’s history it probably was.

He erred in that he expected to come on the internet and for everyone to believe him while providing very little detail. Instead of providing a detailed, in depth report he just said “don’t hunt with this guy because he did x to me”. Perhaps that’s true and perhaps it’s not.

He wasn’t being reasonable or rational and should’ve waited until he cooled off to post. When he was asked to provide some believable information he posted a little bit that did reinforce his story but definitely didn’t tell the whole story. Instead he chose to sull up, use personal attacks and behave like an angry twelve year old.

If someone is going to make serious allegations that can affect someone’s livelihood then they had better tell the whole story and the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

AH is not FB and as such there is a higher standard of behaviour required. Let’s all meet that standard.

Decorum. Next to the expertise here, its next main contributor to why I enjoy AH so much.

Be polite and be thorough. Never assume questions are anything but information gathering to help understand the situation and help others with potential similar situations.

He was understandably upset. I don’t think a single member of AH is unsympathetic towards his situation, some were empathetic. If it was all true, which given the operator’s history it probably was.

He erred in that he expected to come on the internet and for everyone to believe him while providing very little detail. Instead of providing a detailed, in depth report he just said “don’t hunt with this guy because he did x to me”. Perhaps that’s true and perhaps it’s not.

He wasn’t being reasonable or rational and should’ve waited until he cooled off to post. When he was asked to provide some believable information he posted a little bit that did reinforce his story but definitely didn’t tell the whole story. Instead he chose to sull up, use personal attacks and behave like an angry twelve year old.

If someone is going to make serious allegations that can affect someone’s livelihood then they had better tell the whole story and the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
True enough ... "like an angry twelve year-old." But he wasn't the only one. Perhaps it would have been better to just let him blow off steam. However, I suspect the end result would be the same sooner or later. He has maturity issues for sure. I hope he has learned some things, and not just about shopping for safari operators. Rest of us have learned some stuff, that's for sure.

I don’t know anything about any of it other than the OP was just trying to warn people and got chased off the site…
It came across much more as angry venting for himself than warning for others, especially considering all the various names we were called in deleted posts before the entire thread was deleted. Hopefully anyone that remembers the thread in future will think about professionally presenting themselves instead of taking offense at any requests for clarification. There is a way for a negative report to add a lot of value. I know of one hunter (outside AH) who hunts (hunted) with this outfitter. Every safari had its issue due to what I’ll assume to be money issues and permitting but always had successful hunts and actually got his trophies home. He knew he was accepting some risk due to price though. I’d think a quick check of references and recognition he is/was offering the lowest priced hunts in Zimbabwe should raise some flags or at least a lot more questions to someone booking. It is too bad though the hunters that gave the outfitter good public reports on AH couldn’t walk back their endorsements publicly after they had issues later.

I can 100% say Leloma and Phillip Mafuta is a sham and a fraud. I went there last year and nothing was as stated.

We did shoot a couple community zebra, community female hippo. Mafuta is a big talker, so is his brother. Everyone we ran into did not want to work with him as he never pays them money due.

You can check with Collets Taxidermy in Zim that there is a list of hunters who luckily bagged trophies, However Mafuta has never clear the Tras 2 paperwork to export- this is because he would have to pay the govt fees from his end for the permits used….

He sells hunts to pay for past expenses. Pushes to do questionable things just so you pay him. The camp he had at the time was fine, as well as the food as expected. Nothing fancy

The PH he recruited to guide us (Mafuta does not have his license and never will) said Mafuta never pays the PHs what he owes them and they will only help out if nothing else is going on and do it for the tips…. We only had one PH for 3 hunters….

I can go on but it is valid to avoid them at all costs

I can 100% say Leloma and Phillip Mafuta is a sham and a fraud. I went there last year and nothing was as stated.

We did shoot a couple community zebra, community female hippo. Mafuta is a big talker, so is his brother. Everyone we ran into did not want to work with him as he never pays them money due.

You can check with Collets Taxidermy in Zim that there is a list of hunters who luckily bagged trophies, However Mafuta has never clear the Tras 2 paperwork to export- this is because he would have to pay the govt fees from his end for the permits used….

He sells hunts to pay for past expenses. Pushes to do questionable things just so you pay him. The camp he had at the time was fine, as well as the food as expected. Nothing fancy

The PH he recruited to guide us (Mafuta does not have his license and never will) said Mafuta never pays the PHs what he owes them and they will only help out if nothing else is going on and do it for the tips…. We only had one PH for 3 hunters….

I can go on but it is valid to avoid them at all costs
I asked and several others asked on the original thread and never got an answer from the original OP making the warning (other than it’s irrelevant followed by various names), but how did you find and end up booking with this outfitter? What made you choose this hunt over others?

Last edited:
I asked and several others asked on the original thread and never got an answer from the original OP making the “warning”, but how did you find and end up booking with this outfitter? What made you choose this hunt over others?
I don’t want to start a Haboob of Discussion, but if you glance at Kevin’s instagram
it Made me uncomfortable watching some of his videos

There was a post on here AHF from another hunter who successfully bagged a leopard with his bow using Mafuta. That trip they got 2 and saw other animals as well- elephant, buffalo.

The price was really low- half of normal and everything was paid by trophy fee. Day rates up front.

Too good to be true usually is.

I could never get a straight answer, always yes - we can make it work etc but it did not work out. The PH said we should have come later in the season, would be more animals etc.

Luckily Mafuta was not in camp much- he would show up and yell at staff and act important then tell us he had a great place to go the next day- we would then go on a wild goose chase, people refusing to work with Mafuta or inform us that all the quota for said animal was already filled that Mafuta sent us to go hunt!

That AHF member spoke to my friend who did all the arranging for it. I should have paid more attention to the warnings he gave… but when you have a successful hunt and the chips fall your way it’s hard not to give the opportunity to others.

My buddy I booked with due to scheduling conflicts was to go a month after me.. he never went

There was a post on here AHF from another hunter who successfully bagged a leopard with his bow using Mafuta. That trip they got 2 and saw other animals as well- elephant, buffalo.

The price was really low- half of normal and everything was paid by trophy fee. Day rates up front.

Too good to be true usually is.

I could never get a straight answer, always yes - we can make it work etc but it did not work out. The PH said we should have come later in the season, would be more animals etc.

Luckily Mafuta was not in camp much- he would show up and yell at staff and act important then tell us he had a great place to go the next day- we would then go on a wild goose chase, people refusing to work with Mafuta or inform us that all the quota for said animal was already filled that Mafuta sent us to go hunt!

That AHF member spoke to my friend who did all the arranging for it. I should have paid more attention to the warnings he gave… but when you have a successful hunt and the chips fall your way it’s hard not to give the opportunity to others.

My buddy I booked with due to scheduling conflicts was to go a month after me.. he never went
Thanks for the answer. I think I’ve learned as much what I am looking to avoid now as much as what time looking for. Thankfully I’ve never been on a bad hunt but some have been better than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meanwellbrasil

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.