ZIMBABWE: A Local Hunt To The Save

Sounds great, happy hunting

Safe Travels and come back with a good adventure.

That sounds like a terrific plan! Best of luck! Will be waiting for that report. ;)

Enjoy your hunt Kevin! Sound like a really great time.

I love hunting in Southern Zimbabwe! When a pride of lions roared through camp one night we dubbed them the maneaters of Save!

I hope there is a Vin Gruff knife and a Land Rover in Kevin's latest adventure.

Sounds like it’ll be a fantastic hunting adventure and for a good cause.

Shoot straight and shoot often. Can’t wait to read the report.

Kevin tell me about the beautiful elephant tusks!
Hi RB, I didn't shoot that one, they are with me for safe keeping, the owner left the country after the Great Jambanja in 2002. He shot that ellie way back in the KweKwe area.

DAY 1
Owing to the shortness of the hunt we decided to take the two Land Cruisers so poor little Carruthers and the Harry Selby were left behind this time. Barney and I brought up the rear and Woods and Anon (that isn't his real name, but he wants to remain a anonymous because he has been harassed in the past) shot off ahead with their V8. As we passed through Mutare I was gob smacked at how clean and tidy it was, what a pleasure. Next up was Birchenough Bridge where we stopped for a quick pic and leg stretch and to admire the beautiful mats made sustainably from harvesting panels of bark off the myriad of baobabs. As we got to the Save the state of the boundary fence was a real shock, it is non existant in some places and my heart sank thinking of what must be going on in there. More on that later.
By midday we arrived in camp. This being the working heart of Sango section rather than the 5 star lodge it is a bit industrial with the main abbatoir, workshops, carpentry shop, etc that you drive through up front. The lodge itself was beautiful under spreading shade trees with a dry river frontage, Large airy central area with huge bedrooms, fans whirring, thoroughly 1950's.
We met our PH Dalton McLintlock and his three man team Andrew the tracker, Cleopas the driver and Edson the Sango scout. Dalton works with Makore Safaris but was attached to Sango for our hunt. Brendon Judge is the camp manager, old Bulawayo family.
After a quick snack we headed out to the range to check weapons. All were spot on, Woods was shooting his newly acquired Ruger No1 375H&H with the Leica Magnus 1-6.3 ex me, Barney his BSA 458 and his scoped 300 Win Mag and Anon his Winchester Mod 70 375 H&H scoped with a Leupold. I decided to take the Verney 375 Fl double along as it was what I had and I was only after impala. I worked the action a bit more and loaded some new ammo, so we would see.
On the way back from the range Anon took an impala for evening snacks, so we were blooded.
That night around the fire with a good Scotch Africa did it's magic and we were filled with peace and expectation for the morrow.
7BAACA56-FAD2-4733-8404-85F9172B3B87.jpeg
FBC937C0-D669-46FD-8B8C-535C7718D154.jpeg

In for this.

Kevin was really impressed with how clean all the areas I visited in Zim in contrast to SA and even areas of the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WesleyDuff

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]