Zebra Taxidermy Pictures

My wife is wanting something unusual or, at least, different for her zebra mount.
I mentioned some options and we came up with the idea of one looking like a knight (horse) chess piece type pose in a pedestal mount.
We came up with a couple of options and generally like the first one best.

zebrapedistal02.JPG
00small20145872.JPG

love the straight up of the pose with the nose tilted down like a chess piece.
Don't know that we saw a zebra in the wild pose for us like this, though. lol.
I'll make the pedestal base myself.
what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
i like this pose also..

if the caracal hide comes from tannery in very good condition, my taxi is going to give a very good deal.
He has asked about doing a competition mount for the price of his "regular" caracal.
Lana said cool. We've told him to pick out how he wants to do it and get her approval instead of us picking the pose.

This guy has been real good to me.
He saved some of our mounts that were awful from my first safari.
Did an awesome job on mine and my daughter's mule deer from last winter.
Anxious for him to get started on mine and Lana's safari now.
But, alas, my money is a little funny right now, so I will have to piece out the 11 animals over the next year.
Of course, my wife gets first priority. Her caracal and zebra will be first.

I like it but it creates a huge problem and will end up being very costly!

I'm not a big chess guy but surely the answer will be posted shortly... Just how many knights are there? Then you will obviously need the king (lion), queen (lioness), and all the others you will have to figure out.

You have to have the full set don't you? .... Then there is the chess board on the floor of the trophy room.... Just sayin!

Oh and I would put zebra skin panels in the base, possibly in an Africa cutout.

Love it. Just like Sable are best posed unnaturally like this, it just does wonders for them aesthetically. :)

with an arched neck like that it would look really good as a wall pedastel mount

Rhinos as rooks.

This is going to be an expensive chess set....

Wall Pedestal
Zebra_taxidermy_2_zps098c2e6e.jpg

Demaske

IMG_0538_zpsksvgwx6q.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0538_zpsksvgwx6q.jpg
    IMG_0538_zpsksvgwx6q.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 467
  • Zebra_taxidermy_2_zps098c2e6e.jpg
    Zebra_taxidermy_2_zps098c2e6e.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 237
Something for your caracal....
Hearns_1_zps846fa34d.jpg

Sping_zps4b164873.jpg

043_zps98022247.jpg

Attachments

• 043_zps98022247.jpg
    043_zps98022247.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Sping_zps4b164873.jpg
    Sping_zps4b164873.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Hearns_1_zps846fa34d.jpg
    Hearns_1_zps846fa34d.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 165
Zebra chess piece mount is a dream of mine. Go for it. I had an opportunity to put down a wounded zebra on my trip at no cost. After assessing the damage I decidet it was not a fatal wound and there was no point in shooting it. Not a day goes by that I dont see that zebra, but I don't regr it. I'll get one next year.
Oh, have a look at the form before the taxidermist Puts the hide on. Notice the gap between the jawbone and the neck on the second one? I like the first one better with jaw in tight. Looks like the work of another AH member. May wanna give Dennis a call.

Zebra chess piece mount is a dream of mine. Go for it. I had an opportunity to put down a wounded zebra on my trip at no cost. After assessing the damage I decidet it was not a fatal wound and there was no point in shooting it. Not a day goes by that I dont see that zebra, but I don't regr it. I'll get one next year.
Oh, have a look at the form before the taxidermist Puts the hide on. Notice the gap between the jawbone and the neck on the second one? I like the first one better with jaw in tight. Looks like the work of another AH member. May wanna give Dennis a call.
that is why we like the first one better. Never seen one exactly like this and like the "tucked in" look better.

** Dennis, that is an awesome caracal mount. Wish we would have shot a little creature for him to be chasing or killing. But, alas, was not thinking about it.

Neither of those is truly the CHESS PIECE mount. Real nice but I would set the jaw deeper
Both of those you like they are nice and are the same mannakin , on guy juts removed more on the form where the neck connects with the head to put the rolls maybe his skin was a little stiff and not as soft as he wanted from the tannery. When it comes to being awesome they fall short in artistic composition.
They look droopy and lifeless. Here is an Artworks taxidermy zebra. Great piece nice composition. Strong feeling of a big stallion. Mass in shoulders and attitude in the head and the strength that is in this piece is great. Head is down and tucked but still viewable to you and he makes eye contact. The ones you posted are just stock generic mannakins you buy out of the box. I'd use , in fact this pose and artworks composition of his piece to develop a nice chess piece for you.
AWzebra_web_zpsyhcf7dmi.jpg

Attachments

• AWzebra_web_zpsyhcf7dmi.jpg
    AWzebra_web_zpsyhcf7dmi.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 395
Yup, Dennis' is better. Love the bulging muscles and masculine look. That extra curve/arch in the neck really brings it out. If you don't use Dennis... at least steal his idea;)

Looks great Dennis.
I like it much. the animal, I suppose, is in a rearing up position? just can't see the rest of the animal.
It is more muscular.

as to the 2 pics I posted, we by far like the top one, didn't like the underneck part of the 2nd.
I like the one from Artworks Taxidermy you posted and the top one we posted very well.
The "chesspiece" was my suggestion because it doesn't look like so many other zebra mounts.
In the end, the wife will decide.

Have you mounted any similar to these poses? I didn't see one on your site, but of course, I know you can't post everything you've done.
But that is a stunning pose.
thanks for sharing.

I just looked at them again. Our top one looks docile and friendly. the one you posted does look like a warhorse. I will see what the wife decides.
I dislike the 2nd one I posted more each time I look at it.

Will see if I can find one like that we did. Let you wife know we work with you and send pics of the mannakin being sculpted and changed to your lking and never put skin on till it's right in your eyes. If you care to work with me on your pieces

this trip's trophies are already committed to my local guy.
skulls and horns are at his shop. The capes are at the tannery.
He saved 4 trophies that were poorly mounted in Africa a few years ago.
Remounted one for full price and the rest he fixed gratis.

I had always used a neighbor of mine in the past, but he didn't want to do African.
He retired 2 years ago and I started using the guy I have now when I needed those mounts fixed.
He is actually much better than my neighbor and does international stuff.
I can't imagine any problems with him, but if some develop, I will definitely keep you in mind.

I had my backskins tanned at Hunter's/Collector's in P.E. as a trial run.
They did the dip/pack on the capes,skulls.
So, far all turned out well. We should have the capes in a few weeks, then we'll know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magnum308

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?