Zebra Coloration Question

From Limpopo

Imagen 186.jpg

Imagen 188.jpg

Another feature of the Hartman variety is the lump where the neck meets the head. Taxidermists often miss this piece of anatomy on this particular specie
IMG_0182.jpeg
-

My two trips, hands down my favorite meat was zebra (Burchell's if if matters). It was better than anything else I tried, and all of it was very good.

I’ve never eaten either. Hartmann zebra is supposed to be good. I can’t say I have an interest in trying burchell zebra if I have other meat in camp.
It was my favorite meat.

We had it in cured salami every night for appetizers with crackers and cheese,

We had it in German style sausage and potatoes, and we also had backstrap steak grilled over charcoal.

Lastly was zebra burger with fresh made buns
IMG_0817.jpeg

All Hartmanns zebra in namib. It was fantastic red meat. If they don’t had any fresh zebra in camp I will have to shoot a Hartmanns for the week.
869E6432-7B5C-4139-B94B-0AE667DB48B0.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

I’ve eaten Hartman’s zebraschnitzel. It was amazing.

It was my favorite meat.

We had it in German style sausage and potatoes, and we also had backstrap steak grilled over charcoal.

View attachment 626869

All Hartmanns zebra in namib. It was fantastic red meat. If they don’t had any fresh zebra in camp I will have to shoot a Hartmanns for the week.
View attachment 626870
View attachment 626871
It was my favorite meat.

View attachment 626869

View attachment 626870
View attachment 626871
A burger with a knife and fork! The horror….
Zebra is great venison though. Cold smoked Hartmann zebra fillet is something special.

Both Burchell’s and Hartmann’s are very good to eat. It isa pain to trim the yellow fat off of a Zebra carcass though.

For those travelling Namibia, Joe’s Beerhouse in Windhoek serves a mean Zebra steak

I have eaten Burchell and it was delicious. The vast majority of people in camp thought it was the best of all the plains game tried. I have heard that from others as well.

But I have also seen people on this site say they thought it was terrible, and some people said it was the yellow fat that made it taste bad.

Not sure why the discrepancy, but my own personal experience eating it was that it was very good.

All these years I had been told zebra was not that good. This past trip we had different game every night. One night we had a cook off, Zebra and I believe eland. Everyone got to choose what meat was better, it was 100% for the zebra. It really was amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ToddLeeson

Latest profile posts

Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg