Zebra Coloration Question

Sabre

AH member
Reaction score
The vast majority of zebra on the hoof and in trophy pictures appear stark black and white. Some have yellowing to the black stripes but not nearly as many as are dark black and white. However, many zebra mounts I have seen have a lot of yellowing to the black stripes, especially the face.

I am curious if something happens during the tanning process that causes the stripes to yellow on some mounts. Or did these Zebra have yellowish/faded stripes when they were shot. I have searched on the internet and can't find anything about it really.

Interested in hearing anyone's opinions on it, but especially interested in hearing from people that have had zebra taxidermy and have or haven't seen any change in colors to their animal.

Thanks in advance.

zebra-taxidermy-head-mounted1.jpeg

The photo above shows what I'm talking about on the top half of the face.

The short answer is they are different types of zebras.

There are several different subspecies of zebras. I believe that is a Mountain Zebra which tend to have the golden color on the muzzle and very distinct black and white stripes. The other common zebra is the Burchell Zebra that is known for having the ghost stipes in the wider white stripe. The stripes don't seem to change with tanning in my experience.

Beautiful mount.

That’s a Hartmann’s, or Mountain Zebra. That’s exactly what they look like.

Could it be permanent stain from grazing around all that red sand?
My idea of a trophy zebra is one so black, the white stripes look like scattered bones on a black blanket.

Could it be permanent stain from grazing around all that red sand?
My idea of a trophy zebra is one so black, the white stripes look like scattered bones on a black blanket.
No.

This is a large stallion Hartmann's Zebra. They are indigenous to the mountains of Namibia and usually represent a challenging hunt in tough terrain. Note the brown muzzle.

Mountain Zebra.jpeg

This is a Burchell or plains zebra. They will typically have a black muzzle. They, unlike the Hartmann, are quite common across South Africa.
burchel zebra.jpeg

The short answer is they are different types of zebras.

There are several different subspecies of zebras. I believe that is a Mountain Zebra which tend to have the golden color on the muzzle and very distinct black and white stripes. The other common zebra is the Burchell Zebra that is known for having the ghost stipes in the wider white stripe. The stripes don't seem to change with tanning in my experience.
Beautiful mount.

That’s a Hartmann’s, or Mountain Zebra. That’s exactly what they look like.
No.

This is a large stallion Hartmann's Zebra. They are indigenous to the mountains of Namibia and usually represent a challenging hunt in tough terrain. Note the brown muzzle.

View attachment 626753

This is a Burchell or plains zebra. They will typically have a black muzzle. They, unlike the Hartmann, are quite common across South Africa.
View attachment 626760

Thank you for the responses and information. I believe I have only seen Burchell while hunting and this makes sense why the vast majority I have seen had the dark black and white faces.

Thank you for the responses and information. I believe I have only seen Burchell while hunting and this makes sense why the vast majority I have seen had the dark black and white faces.
Like most African animals there will always be different variations even within the subspecies, an easy example is in giraffes. There are very light colored to very dark colored and each hunter with have thier preferences. Before hunting a species learn the different traits and what is important or preferred by you. Before the hunt discuss it with your PH so they help find the trophy you have dreamed of.

For reference. A couple of Hartmans:

JD-Zebra.jpeg

BWM-zebra1.jpeg

A Burchel:

BWM Zebra2.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zambias

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?