ZAMBIA: Takeri Reserve - Zambia's Special Place

This was my reply to @Primal with a similar question.

Fair question. In a word yes - I was satisfied. However, I will offer a couple of observations.

I still don't know what happened with the original sight-in group. I have not fired the rifle since returning home, so it will be instructive to see how the last group has held up since the subsequent sight-in.

Secondly, I think the hunt does offer a cautionary tale with respect to lighter calibers and African game. My last several safaris involved buffalo. As a result, I used my .375 with either the 300 gr A Frame or TSX bullet on plains game. I am certain the warthog and reedbuck would have been dead within a few yards of where they were hit had I been using a .375. I am less certain, but strongly suspect that either would have brought the waterbuck down much sooner with the same bullet placement.

That said, the 170 gr Oryx did the job on everything - particularly when the shooter and/or rifle directed it to the right spot.

Sorry I must have missed that post.

I understand where you’re coming from with regards to 375 doing the job quicker, but is that because you felt under-gunned with the 275, or would you prefer to be over gunned with the 375? I don’t want to come across as critical with this question, I’m more curious which you would pack if you were to do it all again.

Regardless, I’m glad you had another great adventure, and I appreciate that you took the time to share it with us:)

Sorry I must have missed that post.

I understand where you’re coming from with regards to 375 doing the job quicker, but is that because you felt under-gunned with the 275, or would you prefer to be over gunned with the 375? I don’t want to come across as critical with this question, I’m more curious which you would pack if you were to do it all again.

Regardless, I’m glad you had another great adventure, and I appreciate that you took the time to share it with us:)
Were I going back to hunt with mike on Takeri again, I likely would bring the 7x57 again - if for no other reason, Mike has strong, perhaps even unnatural, feelings for all things Rigby. :cool:;)

That said, perhaps next time I'll bring the .318 WR. Takeri is the sort of place that does evoke a different time. Undoubtedly, my R8 with .375 or .300 Win Mag barrel installed would be more efficient. But the only animal that gave us real trouble was the waterbuck and that was my fault. Yes, a .375 would have provided much more insurance, but if I had not pulled the shot, I would not have needed it.

All around outstanding Joe, from the report to the game taken. Well done!

Were I going back to hunt with mike on Takeri again, I likely would bring the 7x57 again - if for no other reason, Mike has strong, perhaps even unnatural, feelings for all things Rigby. :cool:;)

That said, perhaps next time I'll bring the .318 WR. Takeri is the sort of place that does evoke a different time. Undoubtedly, my R8 with .375 or .300 Win Mag barrel installed would be more efficient. But the only animal that gave us real trouble was the waterbuck and that was my fault. Yes, a .375 would have provided much more insurance, but if I had not pulled the shot, I would not have needed it.
That’s about as sensible of an answer I could ask for. The 318 does sound like the answer to all life’s problems:)

Congratulations and thanks for the report, I really enjoyed it. Love the Sable, Lechwe and Puku. The Bushbuck and Duiker are great too!

Sounds like you had a great hunt at an awesome place thanks for bringing us along and congratulations.

Sounds like a great place to take my 9.3x62 Rigby HS ;) Really need to find time to just do it :)

What a great report. One that I had been looking forward to reading. When I go back to Africa I think I'll spring for business class also especially after my Chevy Chase Alaskan Tour.
Lesson learned.

Congrats Joe......that sable....wow!!

Very well written report thanks for sharing your adventure.

Congratulations on the trophies they are all excellent!

I will be interested to see what you come up with once you shoot your rifle on the home range. In RSA I noticed that the barometric pressure was way lower as well as the humidity. I'm not sure how it compares to where you hunted, that said wood stocks can and do shrink and swell. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but it is what comes to mind first.

Congrats Joe and Mike on a fine safari and great animals! Mike hinted to me on WhatsApp that things had started off quite well. Between the great hunting, a great rifle and all the fun evening social aspects of the hunt with awesome people, you couldn’t ask for a better trip!

I’m glad you got the rifle issue sorted in Johannesburg. The bowels of that airport can swallow up about anything and yes, Qatar is a cut above. I’m also glad you continue to hunt and travel during these trying times. In these times, a person must push through, live life and support the hunting industry. My hat is of to you, Sir.

Agree with others, fantastic trophies and an excellent written report. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

I'm new to the African game. Looking to go for first time next year. Have really wondered what all the excitement about sable is based on. A bull like yours makes it clear. I haven't seen one like it. Congratulations

I'm new to the African game. Looking to go for first time next year. Have really wondered what all the excitement about sable is based on. A bull like yours makes it clear. I haven't seen one like it. Congratulations
And hunted right! In the right area!! If I'm not mistaken, those Sable are indigenous there. Animals always do better in their natural range. And it is much more of a "proper" hunt. Too many, perhaps the vast majority, of sable shot in South Africa are farm raised animals. Mozambique, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and Zambia all have truly wild sable;)

I wondered to, right up until you see a herd melting into the tall grass and woodlands.
Head up to visit Mike in Zambia and you can hunt them in their natural environment. After hunting them there you will know exactly what all the excitement is about.

Good report and that bushbuck is to die for I have a special place for bushbuck and that chobe is a brute.

I personally don't think you were undergunned as I hunt a fair bit with the 6.5x55 swede and have taken large game kudu bull and large eland cow with it. Using good bullets like you did placing the shot is more important. Having a bit of doubt on why the zero shifted is always in one's head and lets you loose confidence.

Waidmannsheil @Red Leg ! Excellent animals taken in a corner of hunter's paradise :) Thanks for sharing!

Fabulous trophies and a fantastic hunt! Joe, your story was well spun.

Congratulations all around to Joe, Mike, Andrew, Pete and the literary trip to a special place.

One day........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia