ZAMBIA: North-Western Zambia

Piet-Vis

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I recently had the opportunity to hunt in the Brachystegia forest of North-Western Zambia, in one of the most unspoilt areas I have visited in Central Africa. I am a local meat or Biltong hunter, and my expectations and requirements differ from those of the average Safari hunter visiting Africa. We do share the need or love of areas that are uninhabited by people and the appreciation of fine trophies when I see one.

The Lunda people inhabit the tiny slither of land where Zambia, the DRC, and Angola meet. The Chief of the Lunda is a white man called Peter Fisher, who is fascinating and worth sharing a campfire with.

I recently had the pleasure of hunting for non-trophy Eland and Sable to fill up my larder on some of Peter’s land. Much of Central Africa is degrading at an incredible pace due to human activities, and I am happy to report that it seems as if time is standing still in that part of the world.

I hunted on Nkwaji Wildlife Reserve, a substantial piece of land that goes right up to the Congo Border. There are quite a few interesting species—some of the forest Duikers, Sitatunga, Western Kudu, Black and Kafue Lechwe, and Harnessed Bushbuck. It is a hunting experience far removed from the usual Bushveld hunting experience that a Biltong hunter like myself is used to.

I managed to bag a wily Livingston Eland bull after a game of cat and mouse in an open area. The bull was nice and fat, not too old - great venison.

Hunting the Sable was more challenging. Western Zambian bulls are simmering black, almost like Friesen horses, with distinct facial markings. I had significant challenges finding a suitable bull, not due to the shortage of mature bulls but the lack of anything below 40”. My Wife made it very clear that any errors in judgment on my behalf and the associated trophy fee would be severely frowned upon.

Crawling on all fours, and judging horn size (I hunted with a scout, so the responsibility was mine) through thick tree trunks are some of my most memorable hunting yet. I had several bulls in the mid-forties in my bino’s. I am sure some bulls will approach the 50s as well. On the last day of my hunt, I found a younger bull (he still had rufous in his coat) with 37.5” horns. A “small one” according to my scout.

North-Western Zambia is very special, and I have already booked my hunt for next year. Areas like these need support from trophy hunters, and I would highly recommend thinking of that area if you are either thinking of a forest hunt or are looking for a giant sable trophy.

1727606805959.jpeg

1727606822570.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your experience :D Cheers:

This is a new area to me as I have never heard of it.It sounds like a very interesting area to consider a hunt.

Interesting hunt and description of the area. Thanks for posting.

There use to be some marketing for Peter Fisher on a different fenced reserve called Nchila. I haven’t seen mention of him or that area in a while. What duiker species are present? I’d think yelllow back duiker would be a major draw. I’m fairly certain it’s still chobe bushbuck there though. If it was harnessed bushbuck it would be a major draw as well but they occur further north and are much smaller in body size. Do you have any photos of their bushbuck you could add? I’d be very interested to see.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteSchnel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?