You might be an African Safari hunter if……

I feel you brother..
When you stroke your pedestal mounted buf's, eland's or others face as you walk by.
You sit and stare at your mounts and relive every detail of the hunt.
Your mouth waters at the thought of grilled wildebeest steak and sausage.

Or when you are in line at the Joberg airport and someone points to your tuffpack gun case and asks how the golf is……..

I actually had a gentleman point to my rifle case in JHB and politely ask what I was carrying there, told him I was a musician and had just done a concert in town :E Lol:

What about eating at a restaurant back home and looking at the menu sadly...isn't there some buffalo oxtail or zebra steaks around here? Anyone have an eland or sable to share? I always miss the food from Africa.

...if you've helped natives hang elephant biltong on clotheslines in camp and have pleasant dreams about it, often.

...if you've helped natives hang elephant biltong on clotheslines in camp and have pleasant dreams about it, often.
So true...on the last ele, I cut just a tiny piece as we started skinning and ate it raw as the locals gathered in to get started. I thought, just a taste as the locals come in to reduce this mountain to a wet spot on the ground. Ele meat is distinctive but I like it.

So true...on the last ele, I cut just a tiny piece as we started skinning and ate it raw as the locals gathered in to get started. I thought, just a taste as the locals come in to reduce this mountain to a wet spot on the ground. Ele meat is distinctive but I like it.
my Son did same. oddly, I did not bc my stomach was upset from something eaten prior. obviously this stuff did NOT yet resemble biltong, but freshly cut meat peppered with flies! lol

What about eating at a restaurant back home and looking at the menu sadly...isn't there some buffalo oxtail or zebra steaks around here? Anyone have an eland or sable to share? I always miss the food from Africa.
there are some places in TX that have exotic meats. 'have eaten eland and zebra (and plenty others) from the Hill Country. Unless it folded, I believe there's at least 1 butchery/cold storage facility that sells that and many more! :) Others on here from TX will know more...This is just 1 example (you can get it fresh in TX!) LOL Eland Filets: $299/lb! A couple local boys from the Hill Country once wanted me to go in on such a facility (for the aforementioned rea$on!) I passed. But you are lucky to be nearby... https://www.exoticmeatmarkets.com/ I see on Google there are more than a dozen suppliers in TX (it's not cheap.) Hit any taxidermy shop in Kerrville and they'll tell you where to get what you want (Rhodes has a cooler/meat processing plant so they know every supplier there is in the Hill Country and might just have some on-hand...)

Last edited:
Nilgai! It's VERY good!

If you chuckle on the inside when you here someone complain about the recoil on their .300 win mag
That's funny because it's true. On the last hunt, I was jumping out to chase a sable and I said give me the baby gun...which was the 300 win mag.

Very true...last year I used a 375 on a 1 gun safari for DG and PG like it was a 30-06. Big to small...just get it done. It's a practical caliber but not a BIG caliber. It's like a medium to me and I just shoot it like it's a 30-06 if that makes sense. It's not a big deal.

* When you have an elephant skull in your den..

* You eat out and compare your steak to cape buffalo filet..

* You wonder why you own 5 double rifles..

Fantskalle.jpeg

* When you have an elephant skull in your den..

* You eat out and compare your steak to cape buffalo filet..

* You wonder why you own 5 double rifles..

View attachment 621895
First of all...jealous about the ele skull! I haven't brought one home yet.

Second....the beef steak is NOT as good as the eland steak, sable steak, zebra steak or buff oxtail.

Third...I feel your pain on the doubles...sold 1...still have 4 or 5 and looking at another one!

We must be related somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richardtar

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt