Wow My Cooper 52 in 416 Rem Mag is falling apart

Obi Wan Kenobi

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Saskatchewan, Argentina
I dont know if you guys remember. But I made a post here around October 2016 asking about Big 5 calibers. 416 vs 375 is what I narrowed it down to. I ultimately select the 416 Rem mag.

I have a Lion hunt coming up in 2 weeks. Lion, Kudu, Black Wildabeest and Warthog. Ill be using my .325 wsm for the plains stuff.

I got a Cooper 52 brand new from the factory in February. I ordered a Zeiss 1-8x30 from Bearbasin. I'm pissed off with them to because I ordered the scope from them in early December and didn't get it until April. Anyways I get the scope mounted and bore sited. I'm shooting Federal Bearclaw 400 grain bullets. Saturday I run about 15 rounds through the rifle breaking it in. On the 16th shot my mid iron site flies off. I figure oh well I don't need it Im hunting with a scope. I run 4 more rounds through the gun so I shoot 20 rounds over about 2 hours just letting the barrel cool and I'm cleaning between every 5 shots. So Sunday I'm back at the range. I'm all set up. I run 5 shots through the gun my front iron site flies off the barrel. Now my barrel looks like a smooth factor barrel of the common deer rifle. I'm like WTF, this is suppose to be a Cooper. Ok so I think I can deal with this when I get back and just use the scope.

I run 2 more shots through the gun its hitting exactly 1 inch high at 100 yards. On my very last shot, boom, hole is right where I want to to be. This is plenty accurate to shoot a lion 50 to 100 yards away. I go to unload the gun the bolt handle falls off!!!!!!

Guys we are flying out for South Africa on May 22nd. What the hell am I suppose to do? Do I over night this rifle back or do I find a great local gunsmith to handle this problem? If I send the gun back to Cooper right now I have to take the scope off. Its punishing shooting 20 rounds a day in this gun at least to me. Its sited perfect at 100 yards. If I get a local gun smith to work on it I'm going to be charged. I want Cooper to fix this. If I send it back I may have to wait in line, I guess I can always use my PH's 375. Ugghhh I'm so pissed off right now. I got to thinking also. Suppose this had happened in the field I shoot, wound a lion then my bolt handle falls off. Jesus Christ!!!! I have other Coopers that shoot like tack drivers. Can't believe this happened this weekend. I'm really shocked. Your thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

IMG_2799.JPG
IMG_2800.JPG
IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! I own several Cooper Rifles also and love them. I bet anything if you call them with the urgency they will take care of you! But you are correct, what if that happened in the middle of the hunt! I would be wanting a completely new rifle or my money back so you can at least save your hunt. Please let us know how this comes out.
Cody

I wouldn't want to take the rifle to Africa to hunt dangerous game.

Ps....October 2017 hasn't arrived. (caught that B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Cooper is usually good. That sucks...

So I would take it to a local smith and have him look at it and see if he can fix it before you leave. Also have him check everything else, like the stock bolts, trigger assy, firing pin, etc...

In the mean time, email your Outfitter explain the situation and make sure he has a good rental rifle in case you need it. Lots of folks rent guns. You can make it work.

WOW!
i would be inclined to send the rifle back to them, do not rush a local gunsmith and certainly do not rush them.
Borrow a rifle or use your 325wsm if you can.

My preference would also be for a replacement rifle, bolt handle falling off is a complete deal breaker!
The sights also should not fall off.
I would have a hard time accepting this rifle back with repairs done to it on the bolt, especially considering you bought it as DG rifle. I would be too worried for any possible future problems!

If it were me. I could never rely on that rifle again or trust it. I would call the manufacture and demand a replacement rifle, the things you just experienced show poor quality workmanship, i would always be thinking what next. Those things should not happen.

Replacement rifle or money back.
Use your PH's rifle in Africa because unfortunately you have little choice if you want a big calibre.
There is no way I would be using this rifle in the bush, especially with dangerous game because you will always have that little doubt in the back of your mind about it and as has already been seen, it falls apart.
Not even worth the risk when it might literally be someone's life or death.

I think I would be taking the cash ........

Send it back and get a rental rifle from the ph. If it makes you feel better my rifle was lost by the airlines and I had to use a rental for my lioness hunt.

That stinks though, I would give Cooper hell as that is an expensive rifle and that shouldn't be happening.

Get the factory on the phone this morning and see what they can do!

No excuse for that! Maybe it's bad karma as I remember Cooper sending a political donation to a certain candidate once upon a time...

I would send it back to Cooper and demand refund and not take that rifle on a dangerous game hunt. I'd call PH and see about comparable bolt gun available there and ask about quality ammo for that gun!!!! No point in using a good gun/caliber shooting 20 year old, cheap junk cup and core soft points at dangerous game.

For a fact, I would not take that rifle after DG even if Cooper got it fixed in time. After this type of bad experience with a DG caliber rifle you would not have the confidence in it that a DG hunter should have in his gun. If possible I would rent, borrow or buy a new rifle. You can probably pick up a good Ruger for under $1,500 at Cabela's, sight it in and still be ready for the 22nd.

For all other AH members the lesson to be learned from this, is not waiting for the last minute to make sure your gun is in peak operating form. IMHO these issues should have been discovered 5 or 6 months ago.

At a minimum Cooper should offer the repair or replace your rifle and pay for the rental fees and ammo for your Ph's rifle in Africa.

Sounds like the witch doctor cursed this outfit. Send it all back demand cash and think no more about it. Use the 375 and remember cats vitals are farther back than most think. Have a ball on your hunt

Shit happens with guns. Always good to have a back up plan, and on the bright side you do have an excuse to buy another gun while you try to get this worked out with Cooper.

Get the factory on the phone this morning and see what they can do!

Ok got on the phone with Cooper a gun tech. He was just has horrified and shocked as I was after seeing the photos and hearing my story.

He told me to keep the scope on the rifle send it back in my Pelican case. Cooper would make all necessary repairs and pay for shipping to and from.

He pretty much guaranteed that this won't happen again and that a full inspection of the rifle will take place. Stock screws, trigger assembly ect ect. They should have it back to me by May 18th. I'll be able to run 25 or so rounds through it that weekend before we leave Tuesday.

The ONLY reason Im doing this is because of Cooper's reputation and the gun has some personal engraving and I don't want to wait another year and few months. Even Ferrari & Rolls Royce make a bad car every now and then. But like you guys said I'm still going to have that small doubt in the back of my head. I'll keep you posted thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
It would be hard for me to trust that rifle again !

Ok got on the phone with Cooper a gun tech. He was just has horrified and shocked as I was after seeing the photos and hearing my story.

He told me to keep the scope on the rifle send it back in my Pelican case. Cooper would make all necessary repairs and pay for shipping to and from.

He pretty much guaranteed that this won't happen again and that a full inspection of the rifle will take place. Stock screws, trigger assembly ect ect. They should have it back to me by May 18th. I'll be able to run 25 or so rounds through it that weekend before we leave Tuesday.

The ONLY reason Im doing this is because of Cooper's reputation and the gun has some personal engraving and I don't want to wait another year and few months. Even Ferrari & Rolls Royce make a bad car every now and then. But like you guys said I'm still going to have that small doubt in the back of my head. I'll keep you posted thanks for the advice.

It sounds like Cooper is stepping up to the plate. Were it me and it was possible, I'd want a new bolt, not the one on it repaired. The front and rear sights coming off are an annoyance since you were planning on using a scope. The bolt handle breaking was a recipe for disaster. That makes me question the steel, especially the section that may still be attached to your bolt. I'm not a gunsmith and may be showing my ignorance with that statement, but for peace of mind, give me a new bolt please! And yes they better run a bunch of rounds through the rifle before sending it back.

If it were me and I had so much as a small lack of confidence in the rifle when it gets back, I'd be borrowing the PH's rifle. You don't need those head games going on when you pull down on that lion.

First of all, I can not believe a two piece bolt on a Cooper, especially on a 416. Secondly using that rifle after repaired for Dangerous Game is a Leap of Faith that would be of little interest to me. I would not trust that rifle as a boat anchor, even after repair....let Cooper keep it, refund the money and get a Winchester 70 NOW. Daylight is burning...May 22,, I would be going to plan B immediately. After it is repaired, you will wonder, after every shot, what next? Good Luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IgnacioSig

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.