Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I thought I would post this for no particular reason. One of my sons is making the trip to South Africa with me to hunt with @KMG Hunting Safaris this June and I am loading 165gr 30cal woodleighs for him. The Chamber of my 30-06 A-Bolt II seems to be quite long and these bullets are seated way out to be within 0.020(ish) off of the lands. I will see how they group. I would prefer to seat them a bit deeper but I have found Woodleigh bullets like to be seated in that range. Too deep and I cannot get them to group.
20220327_163856.jpg

The Chamber of my 30-06 A-Bolt II seems to be quite long and these bullets are seated way out to be within 0.020(ish) off of the lands. I will see how they group.

Curious:

What is the chamber length?
What is your C.O.A.L. for the Woodleigh bullets?

On 2018 trp to ZA I wanted to try Woodleigh's but couldn't get them to group as tight as the Barne's and the Hornady's. Thus I took the later 2 with me.

What is the chamber length?
What is your C.O.A.L. for the Woodleigh bullets?

I use the Sinclair seating depth tool. It put the COAL at 3.34. OAL i ended up setting at 3.319 as being close enough.

The brass is 2.49 so I think the bullet is in the neck only 0.387 or so (bullet is 1.087) I suppose it is more than the magical caliber length idea.

Last edited:
I use the Sinclair seating depth tool. It put the COAL at 3.34. OAL i ended up setting at 3.319 as being close enough.

The brass is 2.49 so I think the bullet is in the neck only 0.387 or so (bullet is 1.087) I suppose it is more than the magical caliber length idea.

Thanks Pheroze, for the info.

Any idea as to your rifles chamber length?

My T/C Encore PH and Mossberg Patriot 30-06 loads require a 3.317 max C.O.A.L. for easy feeding 3.320 works but it feels sort of tight (like the bullet is either being pushed onto the rifling or into the case) when closing the actions. The M-1 on the other hand for a steady feed without a sorted problems requires a minimum 3.325, with an optimum 3.330 (if I remember correctly, I"ll look at my reloading notes to confirm these measurements. The above measurements are coming off the reloaded ammo boxes I have with me).

Any idea as to your rifles chamber length?
I am not sure how to measure - I suppose the length of a fired case from head to shoulder? Thinking it through, it may well be the freebore and leade, not so much the chamber, that is the issue I am seeing?

I thought I would post this for no particular reason. One of my sons is making the trip to South Africa with me to hunt with @KMG Hunting Safaris this June and I am loading 165gr 30cal woodleighs for him. The Chamber of my 30-06 A-Bolt II seems to be quite long and these bullets are seated way out to be within 0.020(ish) off of the lands. I will see how they group. I would prefer to seat them a bit deeper but I have found Woodleigh bullets like to be seated in that range. Too deep and I cannot get them to group.View attachment 459558
If I was just going by the picture, at a quick glance, I would say you were loading 6.5x55 rounds!

I am not sure how to measure - I suppose the length of a fired case from head to shoulder? Thinking it through, it may well be the freebore and leade, not so much the chamber, that is the issue I am seeing?

Thanks for the response back.

I have tried woodleigh 165/180 and the 180 magnum in 30 06 with a .115 free bore. Different powders and different seating….never could get groups under 1.5 to 2.0 inch. Regardles of seating depth…
no go results.

I have tried woodleigh 165/180 and the 180 magnum in 30 06 with a .115 free bore. Different powders and different seating….never could get groups under 1.5 to 2.0 inch. Regardles of seating depth…
no go results.
That's frustrating! I found if they are two far from the lands they don't work well.

they are two far
So why the heck would auto correct insert "two" into that sentence. So much for artificial intelligence

Great choice. Have used 180gn Woodleighs in 30/06 and 300WM on two of my trips to Africa including one at KMG. Very happy with the results.

For my A-Bolt II's I use the longer 375H&H mags which allows me to seat past normal COAL and get to the lands. I've noticed the same as you... Woodleigh love to be close to the lands, closer the better. Barnes like to be further away. 0.050 - 0.075" off.

Say hello to Marius for me. He's a great PH, cannot wait until my next chance to hunt with him again. Enjoy your Safari. Cheers!

I’ve been using some some 7mm 140gn Woodleigh ppsp this last week because they are accurate in my rifle.
1 shot kills and very effective

For my A-Bolt II's I use the longer 375H&H mags which allows me to seat past normal COAL and get to the lands. I've noticed the same as you... Woodleigh love to be close to the lands, closer the better. Barnes like to be further away. 0.050 - 0.075" off.

Say hello to Marius for me. He's a great PH, cannot wait until my next chance to hunt with him again. Enjoy your Safari. Cheers!
Will do, it won't be long now.

I experimented and have settled with a seating depth of 0.04. It's still accurate and makes me feel better lol

This is what worked in my Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in .30-06 SPR and Woodleigh bullets in 165 to 240 gr PPRN. Target squares are 1", so, if you do the math with 100 yds being the zero distance.................
Good luck and stay safe!

20220525_074443.jpg
20220525_075134.jpg
20220525_074431.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinTri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well