WJ Jeffrey, double barrel rifle

Rookhawk: Interesting information; although I think that we are largely in agreement concerning its probable chambering and the desirability of having a chamber cast made.

It seems that these old rifles which we admire possess quite a few nuances, do they not?

Rookhawk: Interesting information; although I think that we are largely in agreement concerning its probable chambering and the desirability of having a chamber cast made.

It seems that these old rifles which we admire possess quite a few nuances, do they not?
Yes from what I have learned in the last couple week that is best for them to inspected by a experienced, I or a gunsmith that is familiar with these double guns otherwise could be problems down the road

The gun was made and proofed in Birmingham, likely by Webley from the appearance of the action and engraving. I believe the best guess as to caliber would be a 450 Number 2, Nitro Express. That is only conjecture based on the 80gr of Cordite and 480gr bullet stated on the barrel flats. Any number of one-off proof requests and slightly odd-ball loadings have occurred. The only way to be 100% sure is confirmation of proofs by a chamber cast of BOTH barrels and using pin gauges in both barrels. But I'd give it 70% odds its a 450NE #2 since that was the only .45 cal that had a standard proof of 480gr bullets over 80gr of cordite.

View attachment 578183
I think a name change to Prof. Rookhawk is warranted!

W.J. Jeffery Serial Number 19013 was issued 1908 to 1910 ("British Gunmakers Volume 1 - London" by Nigel Brown). The Jeffery Serial Number workshop records are now held by the Friedkin family in Texas - the "Made By" column is shown. "Leonard-made" Double Rifles have a 3 or 4 digit "Leonard Makers Number" (LMN) stamped on the under-rib just forward of the Fore-end Lug (the photo does not seem to show this Leonard Makers Number?) - that same LMN is also stamped on the Action underneath the bottom action plate. Leonard made many of the W.J. Jeffery N.E. Double Rifles (and also the same Double Rifles for Alfred Hollis) but 2 other Birmingham gunmakers also made N.E. Double Rifles for W.J. Jeffery, namely Thomas Turner (ceased trading by circa 1912) & John Saunders. Much of this "Leonard/Hollis/Jeffery" research was done by Rusty Knight (RIP 2022) of Texas about 20 years ago. Leonard & Sons was a 3 generation family Birmingham gunmaker firm (1832 to 1966).

Another option is to approach Holts auctioneers and ask them to value the gun. Squinting at your pictures, a starting price for what you have there is somewhere around £10,000 ($12,500), but it is very difficult to tell without knowing more.

As to the ammunition, first you need to know the calibre of the rifle. You can determine this either from the serial number (ie. the manufacturer ought to know) or by taking it to a gunsmith. Warning: certain old rifles have been rebored from their originally manufactured calibre and hence have a new, different, calibre. Kynoch will be able to supply ammunition. You will shortly discover that it is not cheap to feed these rifles.

You seem to know how to take the rifle apart and put it back together. Is the rifle tight on face? (ie. can you move the barrels by shaking them while holding the stock).That is a big no-no, but can be cured relatively inexpensively. It may be worth getting the rifle re-proofed, which again is relatively inexpensive and any competent gunsmith ought to be able to arrange. (It is important to do this via a competent gunsmith and seek his advice beforehand because proofing a rifle is a destructive process.)

At this stage, consider having the rifle thoroughly cleaned by a competent gunsmith - which will involve stripping it down and getting rid of any grease or dirt before putting it all back together. This differs from restoring it, which means reblacking the metalwork and oiling up the woodwork. You run the risk of devaluing the rifle by ill-advised restoration, and I suspect most people on this forum will advise against it.

Your profile does not say where you live. I can advise a number of British gunsmiths, but anywhere outside the UK is a closed book to me.

Of course, the whole point of having a rifle like this is to use it. Africa awaits!
Forget Kynoch…you can use Woodleigh in any older gun as long as it is nitro proofed. Will not hurt your barrels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyBlant

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED