Winchester 70 30-06

It's too late to be in on this, but I'm wondering if the rifle was made after the 1968 improvements.
Yes, I can tell by looking at it. The post 68 PF guns are outstanding rifles, I have two of them. One is a .308 from '71 and it shoots like a match rifle.
The other is a recent purchase, same year, in .270 and have only shot it once but looks quite promising.
This one will feed empty cases from the magazine and flings empties into the next zip code.
They are a very much underrated rifle.
 
I'm definitely not an expert in action types and have no dog in this fight (I use both types regularly), but I thought push feeds were considered inherently more accurate than CRFs? I've always heard that's why the majority of long range/benchrest rifles are PF. Not that a tiny advantage either way in accuracy would make a ton of difference for practical shooting and/or hunting purposes, but I'm sure it does if you're trying to win shooting competitions with targets a couple thousand yards away.

I thought the allure of CRF was the feeding/ejection reliability and ability to prevent short-stroke double feeds. Never heard that they were also more accurate.
Dont know about LR/BR rifles, but when I shot the NRA High Power course years ago, the best shooters on the line were shooting pre 64 model 70 Winchesters, usually in .308 Win.
Its more about the barrel than what pushes the round into the chamber, how it was put together and by whom.
 
Yes, I can tell by looking at it. The post 68 PF guns are outstanding rifles, I have two of them. One is a .308 from '71 and it shoots like a match rifle.
The other is a recent purchase, same year, in .270 and have only shot it once but looks quite promising.
This one will feed empty cases from the magazine and flings empties into the next zip code.
They are a very much underrated rifle.
Yes, my only Winchester is a mid '70s Model 70 in .270 and originally had a REAL Bushnell 4x on it. It was my second rifle. Back then, I could shoot 3/4"-1" groups fairly consistently at 100 yards with 130gr. Sierra BTs over 60-62gr. of H4831 (63gr. locked the bolt once). I CAN'T SEE well enough to do that now.
 
I had an early 80s 30-06 featherweight with a bushnell sportview 4X. I could only shoot 3” groups with it on paper, but never missed anything with that rifle.
I sold it to my brother in law.
 
I had an early 80s 30-06 featherweight with a bushnell sportview 4X. I could only shoot 3” groups with it on paper, but never missed anything with that rifle.
I sold it to my brother in law.
yes unfortunately a lot of them would not group as they went thru a bad run of barrels for a few years. Really was hit and miss...no pun intended.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,080
Members
169,490
Latest member
mibeerpamab1972
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top