Will my Professional Hunter want me to bring more than a .270

@yadava25 , take your 270 and do not worry about it. I have used myne for the last 27 years. I have my 4th barrel on it now and I will never be without one!

Have used it in many cases and use it on a daily basis of plains game.

Use a good quality bullet and you will be fine.

and this from a ROOKIE PH. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I used to guide for grizzly and elk in Montana in the late 60s and early 70s. My 270 was my big rifle lol.

I used to guide for grizzly and elk in Montana in the late 60s and early 70s. My 270 was my big rifle lol.

You've grown up since then! :A Banana Sad:

I haven't been to Africa hunting, but it is #1 on my list, hence the reason I read this forum. I've read for years that African game is tougher than game on any other continent. Is there any scientific basis for people stating this mantra so often? If so I would like to read it.

It is also stated that elk are very tough animals, and feral hogs are quite often given status as having toughness of mythological stature.

My experience with feral hogs is extensive, due to the fact I live in Texas and hunt a lot. I own land and numerous family members own land, I've killed a bunch of hogs. If you have proper shot placement a hog goes down. My daughter uses a .243 on hogs and is deadly. Many people think a .243 is not enough on large feral hogs, I disagree. My one elk was killed with a .270. I won a raffle in 1983 for an elk hunt and in 1983 I was two years removed from college and a .270 was all I owned. My .270 worked great. I've seen whitetail run for miles when shot by a 300 WM poorly placed and I've seen whitetail DRT when shot with a .223 on many occasions. I'm not a proponent of hunting deer and hog with a .223 though.

One of these days I will get an AR in .260 Remington but until that time I'll hunt feral hogs with a Marlin 336 30-30 that I've invested quite a bit of time with. I've definitely had some runners when shooting hogs with a 30-30. If recovered I noticed my shot placement wasn't very good. If my shot placement is good then I don't have to track.

When I get to Africa for plains game I'll either take my old .270 or my 6.5x55 in a modern action. Why? Those are the two rifles I use the most. They are superbly accurate and I'm very comfortable with them. I have two 30-06's that are accurate enough but I've found the less recoil the more accurate I am, no exceptions. And muzzle brakes are not for me.

I also do 90% of my practice standing with a bipod. I find it very easy to hit targets when I'm sitting and have a good rest. Standing I am 2MOA at 100 yards on good days, 3-3.5 on bad days. I hope to shrink my groups to 1.5 eventually, which gives me four years. For that is when I plan on going to Africa. If a PH doesn't want me because of the cartridge I use then I guess I won't go.
If one has not hunted Africa one can not know the will to survive and the pure evil in my opinion that resides in the hearts of every beast there. There is absolutely no comparison with any deer species and African Antelope. I know because I own, raise, and, hunt many of them. If you hunt a well stocked game farm you have easy shots and can use any gun. If things are not so easy you will wish you had a .300 or better. I know because I've been there.

Regards,
Philip

You've grown up since then! :A Banana Sad:

Older at least lol. Never hunted Africa so I would trust your PH's opinion. If you do bring a 270 user premium bullets of course. My load for over 40 years has been a 150g Partition at 3000 fps from a Rem BDL 22" barrel (handload might be too warm for your rifle, it's fine in mine). I chronographed Federal Premium 270 win 150g Partitions at 2600 fps way too slow for me. Since both my sons use my handloads, I've tuned them down t0 2910 fps from 22" barrels even though they showed now signs of pressure at 3000. If you're shooting factory loads, you might want something heavier.

If one has not hunted Africa one can not know the will to survive and the pure evil in my opinion that resides in the hearts of every beast there. There is absolutely no comparison with any deer species and African Antelope. I know because I own, raise, and, hunt many of them. If you hunt a well stocked game farm you have easy shots and can use any gun. If things are not so easy you will wish you had a .300 or better. I know because I've been there.

You say .300 yet so many people say a .270 is fine.

@Royal27 , that's a pretty sassy reply...:cautious:

You say .300 yet so many people say a .270 is fine.
I said I can tell you from personal experience that bigger is better. Hope all goes well for everyone on safari but many times things do not go well. When things do not go well ( insert many reasons) more gun will make your safari a successful one.
Sure I have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth for the .270. On my first safari, which was 2x1 my hunting partner had a .270 and I lost lots of MY hunting time looking for his wounded animals. He was no slouch and was a hunting guide himself. He simply had the wrong gun for the hunt WE WERE ON.
It has been said everyone has an opinion but some have experience others don't. We are shaped by those experiences.
Regards,
Philip

Nope because you get the whole family group to mount . :ROFLMAO::barefoot::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?