Wildlife Safari after the hunt... what do you do with your rifles?

TN_Farmer

Reaction score
I am planning a hunting safari in South Africa for 2025.
I will be bringing some non-hunting family, and we are looking into a wildlife safari after the hunting safari?

If the wildlife safari is not being done with the hunting safari outfit, what do you do with your rifles?

I was told Kruger doesn't allow rifles, but I see conflicting reports on different websites.

I'm sure I am not the first person to do this... how does this work?

Thanks in advance!

(1) see if your hunting outfitter will store them for you

(2) there are several companies that that will store the firearms while you travel around Southern Africa, for example Riflepermits.com & Africa Sky. Depending on the number of days, this can add up real fast.

After our last trip we, two couples. After a 12 day hunt, spent two nights in Kruger with all of our hunting gear.

At the gate they put the Kruger park security bands (locks) on the firearms and archery equipment. :10 and we were off.
We traveled in the park with our PH in the company van. We took our time. Did what we wanted. We had a cooler of beer and food and it was a fraction of the price of normal tours.

Afton Lodge in Johannesburg will store firearms for you. This past summer my son and I went to Botswana to tour the Okavango for 5 days prior to our hunt. We stayed at Afton the night we arrived on the Delta flight and flew out to Maun the next morning. We flew back to Joburg from Maun 5 days later and stayed another night with Afton, retrieved our hunting gear and guns and then met with our PH the next morning to leave for our hunt. I’m sure they would store gear after your hunt as well.

I would never travel around SA with my rifles in a vehicle where I or someone else that was in my party wasn't with the vehicle 24/7.

We did a 10-day tour on my first safari,but one of our PH's took care of our rifles and met us before our flight home.

In your case, have you thought about just renting rifles?

One time I used the hunting outfitter for Kruger and had no problem with having my rifle in the park, just a little bit of paperwork.

Another time, I hunted East Cape so back through J’berg to catch flight to Skukuza, Henry from Rifle Permits had everything lined up to meet and store guns. That was terrific because all I had was carryon for the rest of the trip, very organized to meet me. Same trip, a guest house in Port Elizabeth stored rifle in safe for several days before the hunt.

Had a guest house in Windhoek in Namibia store rifle when touring for a week on my own.

No reason not to take your own gun, just need some planning.

All kinds of price points for Kruger so lots of options there depending what you are looking for and level of service/food/accommodation.

My outfitter stored my gun during my visit to national park, last time.

I did two safaris in RSA with the safari in the first week and the second week 4 days in the Kruger alone with a rental car. Each time I entered through the Phalaborwa gate. I declared my weapon and ammunition there and they were sealed there. I was able to drive around with my weapon in the car in Kruger. Nobody asked me anything. I represented her at the exit (Kruger Gate).
At the exit, each time, I went to the Motswari lodge (Hodspruit) and there I entrusted my weapon to the guide for my duration of stay.

I am planning a hunting safari in South Africa for 2025.
I will be bringing some non-hunting family, and we are looking into a wildlife safari after the hunting safari?

If the wildlife safari is not being done with the hunting safari outfit, what do you do with your rifles?

I was told Kruger doesn't allow rifles, but I see conflicting reports on different websites.

I'm sure I am not the first person to do this... how does this work?

Thanks in advance!
Your outfitter, Riflepermits.com, or your tour guide will store them for you. Do not worry there are many, many options for storing your rifles after the safari. Just ask!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PHPKenneth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles