Wild hog meat… do you eat it or is it too risky?

What you report is very interesting.
Especially that these pigs don't have trichinosis, is that a reliable finding?
Why would an omnivore in the USA not have one?
Do you know the reason for this?
In Germany, every wild boar must be tested for trichinosis by the official veterinarian and, since Chernobyl, for radioactivity; here in Bavaria, this meat is no longer allowed to be sold if it contains more than 600 Becquerel per kg. Burcellosis is unknown in our wild boar.
And yes, apart from the boars in the rut, they taste delicious.
All of them. But the best-with distance- are in the 15- 30kg class.(clear on the hook)
The big ones get into the sausage
View attachment 594581
View attachment 594582
Man great food photos, you’re making me hungry! European wild boar is delicious.

I have eaten delicious feral pork fare.

I have also shot a 250 lb boar off a coastal island in South Carolina that smelled and tasted rank.

Think pissing on wet burning fur marinated in a vat of sweat.

DB
That’s funny, as we say down here “ That ain’t nothing nice .”

When I lived in Northern California we used to shoot them and eat them. They seem to be best used as sausage. one friend of mine has his families market and butcher facility. He made the greatest linguica and Italian sausage out of them. While pigs can carry and pass on a couple of illnesses to humans, I've never heard of anyone actually getting sick from eating wild pork. Just be sure it's cooked to well done, as you would with any.pork.
I've also eaten them roasted whole on spits over charcoal. Two different friends would take hogs around 100# and cook.them slowly. One had a motorized drive, the other had a hand crank. They both used rosemary branches to baste the hogs with olive oil and herbs. Delicious. Everyone wanted an invitation to these guys barbeques. I never asked if they were.particular about board or sows.

Cook it well done and don't worry about it.

I know VERY many people who eat them (including my family), and I don't know of a single case of anyone getting sick.

One way to make sure not to get sick is slice the thicker cut really thin, run the slices through a cuber or pound them really thin to tenderize batter them and fry them really crispy and well done Make some gravy or make a sandwich with a little lemon. Pretty tasty!

One night I killed a boar about midnight. We dragged it out of the woods and cleaned it that night. As it was late I just threw the cape on my truck bed and got some sleep. The next morning when I went to get rid of the cape there was about a 12 inch white worm dead in my truck bed that crawled out of the cape over night.

I don’t eat them anymore.

One night I killed a boar about midnight. We dragged it out of the woods and cleaned it that night. As it was late I just threw the cape on my truck bed and got some sleep. The next morning when I went to get rid of the cape there was about a 12 inch white worm dead in my truck bed that crawled out of the cape over night.

I don’t eat them anymore.

Ever eat cod? Better not look that one up if one white worm in a truck bed bothered you.

Every now and then they miss one in the candling process. That's a fun time, especially with the ladies.

I have heard that wild hogs are great table fare. I have also heard they can be full of bad nasty things and should either be cooked to death or not eaten at all.

What does the group think?
They can be but they can also be the nastiest most disease ridden beast on the planet. I will only eat young, fat ones that have been cleaned and chilled properly. For me this means like all my meat it will hand in a walk in cooler for 7 full days. This provides the maximum tenderness as well as all bacteria die in this dry cool environment.
I remember trapping a bunch of 30-40 pounders a couple years back. As we were dragging them out of the trap my ranch hand and I just looked at the pigs, then looked at each other both thinking "should we clean some of these"? It would normally never cross our mind but these were perfect.

Ever eat cod? Better not look that one up if one white worm in a truck bed bothered you.

Every now and then they miss one in the candling process. That's a fun time, especially with the ladies.
Same with some wahoo, speckled trout and amberjack. At least in the Gulf. I also seen a few in yellowfin tuna.
We caught a 90# wahoo one day and you could watch the tail section of the fillets pulse from some type of parasite. Cut them out and the rest was fine and tasty. No sashimi for this country boy.

Same with some wahoo, speckled trout and amberjack. At least in the Gulf. I also seen a few in yellowfin tuna.
We caught a 90# wahoo one day and you could watch the tail section of the fillets pulse from some type of parasite. Cut them out and the rest was fine and tasty. No sashimi for this country boy.

Yes sir. Wahoo stomach parasites, swordfish have them, etc. Seen some worms in swords to. That's actually my first love, offshore fishing.

If people spent 2 hours researching all the potential parasites and pathogens in their food they would probably never eat again... Until they realize there's nothing they can do about it.

Sow or gelded boar a no brainer! Absolutely delicious! Well done as you know. Just a year ago today returned from a hunt with MG Hunting, Argentina. I killed an old Wild Russian Boar...Pedro reckoned 12-13 years old. At night, run with dogs. 350-400 pounds as stated to me by Pedro. And I've hunted 4 others in Canada and the U.S. . I feel I wasn't having my ego stroked by that weight estimate. He was really BIG. On the wall behind me as I text this. BTW, with a knife only. No guns involved. Next evening Manuel served cuts of the back-straps as an appetizer Delicious and mild. I was shocked! Go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinTri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well