Why would a trophy be "non" or "un" exportable?

cwickgo9

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Endowment/Life Member; TSRA Life Member
Hunted
RSA
I've seen several hunt offers, buffalo seems to be the common thread, of non or un-exportable trophies.
Why would this be - disease or some other restriction?

It generally has to do with the permit. Areas only issue so many permits for export, while issuing other non exportable permits.

I am unsure of the logic behind this. It may have to do with some of the international treaties. Maybe it has to do with other goals like culling/population control and meat acquisition.

I am unsure of the logic behind this. It may have to do with some of the international treaties.
My reply as quoted was for buffalo, as it was the question.

But when speaking about other iconic species, you are right. (elephant, lion, leopard, etc)

In my opinion:
Each country gets allocated restricted number of CITES export permits.
Those are exportable trophies.

The rest of hunting, is done as per national game management program and under license, with tags, but non exportable.

Culling of iconic species if sanctioned by govt, is politically very sensitive issue, and many local governments generally are reluctant to do it.

CITES

"Own Use" - A hunter is "invited" through an Outfitter to hunt the animals that the community may have been allocated for their own use. ie. Meat.
The ownership of the trophy or other parts does not enter into the agreement. Only the hunt.
Thus, the hunt is often sold for less than a "trophy" hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sofasandcouches7767

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]