Why would a trophy be "non" or "un" exportable?

cwickgo9

AH veteran
Joined
Aug 14, 2021
Messages
234
Reaction score
365
Location
Texas
Media
2
Member of
NRA Endowment/Life Member; TSRA Life Member
Hunted
RSA
I've seen several hunt offers, buffalo seems to be the common thread, of non or un-exportable trophies.
Why would this be - disease or some other restriction?
 
 
It generally has to do with the permit. Areas only issue so many permits for export, while issuing other non exportable permits.

I am unsure of the logic behind this. It may have to do with some of the international treaties. Maybe it has to do with other goals like culling/population control and meat acquisition.
 
I am unsure of the logic behind this. It may have to do with some of the international treaties.
My reply as quoted was for buffalo, as it was the question.

But when speaking about other iconic species, you are right. (elephant, lion, leopard, etc)

In my opinion:
Each country gets allocated restricted number of CITES export permits.
Those are exportable trophies.

The rest of hunting, is done as per national game management program and under license, with tags, but non exportable.

Culling of iconic species if sanctioned by govt, is politically very sensitive issue, and many local governments generally are reluctant to do it.

CITES

 
"Own Use" - A hunter is "invited" through an Outfitter to hunt the animals that the community may have been allocated for their own use. ie. Meat.
The ownership of the trophy or other parts does not enter into the agreement. Only the hunt.
Thus, the hunt is often sold for less than a "trophy" hunt.
 
Thank you all for your explanations and links. I understand it better now.
 
I’m more concerned about non-importable trophies. If countries like the US, Britain and some EU countries keep adding animals that can be legally hunted in their native countries but if they’re not allowed to be imported into the hunters own country international hunting will wither on the vine and eventually die. IMO
 
I’m more concerned about non-importable trophies. If countries like the US, Britain and some EU countries keep adding animals that can be legally hunted in their native countries but if they’re not allowed to be imported into the hunters own country international hunting will wither on the vine and eventually die. IMO
There's a fair number of the non-importable ones (as determined by USFWS) like these 3 commonly known ones from Namibia Black Faced Impala, Cheetah, Brown Hyena. Then there are several others like Scimitar Horned Oryx and Addax which can't be imported but can be hunted as exotics in Texas year round.
 
I know, it just gets a little annoying how our USFWS makes decision for other countries and their wildlife. I’ve had friends and family members in the USFWS and all but one has either retired or gone to work somewhere else because of the bureaucratic bull shit. None of which is based on science or biology.
 
I know, it just gets a little annoying how our USFWS makes decision for other countries and their wildlife. I’ve had friends and family members in the USFWS and all but one has either retired or gone to work somewhere else because of the bureaucratic bull shit. None of which is based on science or biology.
Sounds like typical government .... more reason we need a smaller federal government
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,310
Members
169,524
Latest member
hunverealo1973
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top