why do people not use premium bullets?

On non premium bullets I have read and found the flat base, like Sierra Pro Hunters, hold together better than their boat tails.

I also know a guide and a pro shooter who do not like Barnes, found they tend to pencil through even on pigs unless bone is hit. This has me scratching my head as to why. I can't help but wonder if they have tried or had clients using the plastic tipped Barnes. I know their 85 grain 6.8SPC bullets pencil through goats at 20 mts from the SPC unless bone is hit. Work way better at 270 velocities. I didn't bother trying them on pigs as I didn't want to loose a wounded animal. I have found the Sierra 110 pro hunters work well out of the 6.8SPC.

21 pages? Seems like new boots and camo guys shooting shotguns that start with a B and Sako or Weatherby rifles wearing that shirt with the patch on the elbows. Beware the man in old boots and tattered jeans who shoots whatever is rolling around in the truck console.

I just wanted to share this regarding "ignorance" with regards to bullet choice and I'm surely not alone. I came from a non hunting family growing up. I went with two of the neighbor men bird hunting at different times for doves and ducks when I was 15-16yoa. I later hunted birds with a couple of high school buddies. I knew of NO ONE who hunted deer at the time. I kind of taught myself through trial and error. I managed to take a couple of fork horned bucks and one pig before moving to Colorado in '89. I was still using my mid '70s Winchester .270 with my handloaded Sierra 130gr. BTSP bullets. I switched to factory 150gr. Nosler Partitions because elk were now in the offering and I had no time for reloading. I never shot an elk with my .270, but did take several pronghorn and mule deer with it. My father in law had a Remington 700 in .338WM. He used 225gr. Nosler Partitions and killed a BUNCH of elk, deer, some caribou, a moose and a Dall sheep with it over the years. I shot it a couple of times and then started to look for a rifle in that cartridge. I found my Browning A Bolt .338 at a gun show. Not knowing any difference (or not caring or ignorance?) I bought a couple of boxes of Remington 225gr. Core Lokts. I shot my first cow elk with them and continued using them I guess because they worked? In our elk camp over the last 30+ years, nobody really talked about what bullet they're using unless somebody asked. We talked about the rifles and cartridges but not so much about what bullet one is using. One guy couldn't believe I killed my first elk with a Core Lokt as he was using Partitions in his .300WM. He kept asking me "you mean the ones in the green and yellow box?" In fact, until I became a member of this forum, I never knew about ALL the different bullets hunters are using worldwide. I've since switched to Barnes TTSX but how many other hunters are/were "blissfully ignorant" like I was as to the available choices in bullets?
With the exception of those who know but don't care, I didn't mean ignorance in a derogatory fashion. Your story is an example of ignorance as in lack of knowledge. We were all there once, every one of us. The difference is in those who put in the sweat equity to learn as much as they can. Shooting is a discipline, sure there are people who pick up on it faster for one reason or another but truly exceptional shooters are made not born. It sounds like you have certainly done that and evolved in your skills set and knowledge base.
Outfitters see a different side of things, we see the people who don't care and don't try which has always baffled me. I have never understood people who spend all the money to hunt but put absolutely no effort into learning how to shoot or anything about the game they pursue.

Boys,
I have an extensive library on hunting, firearms, ballistics, firearm history and sport shooting.

When I started hunting, very soon I was intrigued about bullet types and their terminal effect in hunting. Then, why some bullet is triple the price of some other bullet?

Guess what?

I was not able to find any book on the subject of hunting bullet terminal ballistics.
To my knowledge this book does not exist.
If you know about such book, pls let me know.

Forensic ballistic covers other subject only paritally and forensic ballistc draws mostly from FMJ and war casualties on the subject on effect on people. (and police work for collecting evidence)

Not covering effect on animals, not by different type of hunting bullets.

The question remain, then how to approach and learn this subject?

My way of collecting some modest knowledge on hunting bullet terminal ballistics was internet search, and marketing materials by different brands.

But marketing materials, are not science, and always must be taken with a grain of salt and some distance.

A bit more reliable source on hunting bullet terminal ballistic could be found in different specialized hunting magazines, by well known reputable authors.
The bad part is, their usual approach is to describe effect of single bullet type, from one factory - they were last using, by courtesy of this factory - for marketing purposes

So, in this way, there is no systematization, of bullet per type, per use, at one place, for a person to get entire vision of the subject.

So, it is very hard that average Joe will easily get the knowledge about premium and non premium bullets.

The things also get murky, by simple fact that every bullet kills, and shot placement is paramount.
So whats the difference?

In my hunting community, it is still perceived that hunters paying high price for premium ammo are just showing off their class and status. premium RWS ammo looks good with Blaser r8 rifle and beretta hunting clothes.
Choice of ammo, based on looking good in community.

And cheaper bullets are for working class.
This is general perception, and majority do not see the true difference.

A hunter tells me he killed a bear, or a deer. I ask, what bullet did you use? he answers, RWS.
I know he knows nothing.
If I get answer, bellot spce (the cheapest on market) i know he is tight on budget, and knows nothing

In conclusion, if you know any book or publication that covers terminal hunting ballistics in perspective of bullet types, calibers and game, pls let me know.

Last edited:
Agreed, but a lower-SD-for caliber bullet will tend to expend all its energy inside the cat and may not even exit, especially w/ a higher V gun like a Wby people can shoot accurately (which is just fine)! Std. rem SPs are fine for that job, as are original Nos BTs, Berger originals and std. The distances are short and the target is fragile. You simply must make the perfect shot w/ those traditional bullets (as you mention.) You want to blow it out of the tree (or over if on the ground) and that's IT. No trailing whatsoever. I'd much prefer a HOT deer/elk cartridge (up to .338 or .358) with high velocity and low SD bullets rather than a traditional DG bigger bore on cats! You can even get a high V out of a 375 HH w/ low SD bullets (3,000+/- fps! 235-260ish gr).
260gr Accubond in 375 H&H travelling fast is an excellent leopard bullet....

Boys,
I have an extensive library on hunting, firearms, ballistics, firearm history and sport shooting.

When I started hunting, very soon I was intrigued about bullet types and their terminal effect in hunting. Then, why some bullet is triple the price of some other bullet?

Guess what?

I was not able to find any book on the subject of hunting bullet terminal ballistics.

Forensic ballistic covers other subject only paritally and forensic ballistc draws mostly from FMJ and war casualties on the subject on effect on people. (and police work for collecting evidence)

My way of collecting some modest knowledge on hunting bullet terminal ballistics was internet search, and marketing materials by different brands.

But marketing materials, are not science, and always must be taken with a grain of salt and some distance.

A bit more reliable source on hunting bullet terminal ballistic could be found in different specialized hunting magazines, by well known reputable authors.
The bad part is, their usual approach is to describe effect of single bullet type, from one factory - they were last using, by courtesy of this factory - for marketing purposes

So, in this way, there is no systematization, of bullet per type, per use, at one place, for a person to get entire vision of the subject.

So, it is very hard that average Joe will easily get the knowledge about premium and non premium bullets.

The things also get murky, by simple fact that every bullet kills, and shot placement is paramount.
So whats the difference?

In my hunting community, it is still perceived that hunters paying high price for premium ammo are just showing off their class and status. premium RWS ammo looks good with Blaser r8 rifle and beretta hunting clothes.

A hunter tells me he killed a bear, or a deer. I ask, what bullet did you use? he answers, RWS.
I know he knows nothing.
If I get answer, bellot spce (the cheapest on market) i know he is tight on budget, and knows nothing

In conclusion, if you know any book or publication that covers terminal hunting ballistics in perspective of bullet types, calibers and game, pls let me know.

There are quite a few, to include the FBI study on terminal ballistics in the wake of the Miami shooting. Most of the publications with respect to terminal ballistics are written in medical terms, and are unreachable by the average Joe. I say publications, because they are more likely to be medical papers than "books", and require autopsies. I'll bet money that if somebody did write a book, everyone would call him a liar anyway because it would run against whatever they've been using.

The frustrating disconnect is between the guys doing the science, and the guys doing the marketing. Even talking to bullet designers your all over the place, with some being incredibly versed and some just coming up with something they felt would work.

Most of us suffer from "small sample size". Which means even after a lifetime of shooting game, we only have limited ancillary data. I've never had a "Speer Hot-Cor" fail, but I'm not qualified medically to conduct an autopsy. My sample size is dozens out of millions, and in a single caliber (for Hot-Cor in 375). I may suspect a Partition or a TBBC is a better bullet, but so far... everything hit the ground. I also had hammer hunters absolutely rock everything heavier, and pencil through a couple impala.

I never personally had luck with a Core-Lokt in terms of accuracy and I've had one fail in a whitetail. Many others have had years of success with them. Who is right? I've also never had a Partition fail, and I was just reading about one that failed in a 375 H&H. When you do read the old sporting magazines, you see bullet failure used to be a huge and common problem. Like most things, I suspect bullets of all designs continued to be improved upon. At any rate, I doubt anyone will reach a consensus anytime soon.

There are quite a few, to include the FBI study on terminal ballistics in the wake of the Miami shooting.
I have read some of similar studies. But these what I have seen do not cover construction, design, use and effect of - for example - swift A frame bullet, on large game. Did Miami shooters used for example TSX bullets, or nosler partition, did they hit any elephant in Miami during this event? You catch my point.

There is lack of similar study and systematization of bullets and terminal ballistics specializing in big game hunting applications in modern literature. What there is, there is each factory own study and experiments when they design something new, and they keep it mostly classified.
Once it hits the market, then we start getting sporadic collective experience and knowledge, by trial and error, and polished information by marketing wizards.

Also, you have noted correctly, we have small sample size syndrome.

So, all what I can do personally in all my due diligence is to read as much as possible information from reliable (as reliable as possible) sources, and then try to compare and apply theoretical knowledge to my modest experience, and then eventually to correct the errors of my ways.

(I would like to shoot few hundred buffalos with variety of calibers and different bullets, and publish my observations, but I havent found sponsor yet)

He was not allowed to use some of the more graphic tests , like how bullets behave in dead and live cattle , horses and cadavers .

I have read some of similar studies. But these what I have seen do not cover construction, design, use and effect of - for example - swift A frame bullet, on large game. Did Miami shooters used for example TSX bullets, or nosler partition, did they hit any elephant in Miami during this event? You catch my point.

There is lack of similar study and systematization of bullets and terminal ballistics specializing in big game hunting applications in modern literature. What there is, there is each factory own study and experiments when they design something new, and they keep it mostly classified.
Once it hits the market, then we start getting sporadic collective experience and knowledge, by trial and error, and polished information by marketing wizards.

Also, you have noted correctly, we have small sample size syndrome.

So, all what I can do personally in all my due diligence is to read as much as possible information from reliable (as reliable as possible) sources, and then try to compare and apply theoretical knowledge to my modest experience, and then eventually to correct the errors of my ways.

(I would like to shoot few hundred buffalos with variety of calibers and different bullets, and publish my observations, but I havent found sponsor yet)

Some studies of bullets on game, have been done. I see those occasionally where typically somebody did an actual medical autopsy on culls of cattle, horses, cape buffalo, and various cadavers.

Jim Carmichel wrote an article on a buffalo cull hunt, that was conducted by veterinarian(s). Same bullets same location, and the ones that dropped were the result of bullets arriving at the time of the heartbeat, overloading brain pressure. Not sure how a designer can construct a bullet to arrive at the right time.

Construction and design recommendations? I don't recall ever seeing one, personally. I suspect that ends up being mostly proprietary company information.

Round balls, mini-balls, lead bullets, jacket'd, and mono bullets have all worked. Plenty have failed. I'm still not using a VMax for a Caribou, or a solid for whitetail. There may be something said for picking the right bullet for the job. The experience of countless guys suggests an A-Frame may be the closest thing to always works on any continent, but I did have one pencil on a Caribou at close range. <shrugs>

Last edited:
260gr Accubond in 375 H&H travelling fast is an excellent leopard bullet....
Yes! Just perfect for PG and NA game as well!!!

Boys,

Guess what?

So whats the difference?

I know he knows nothing.

@mark-hunter
Have a look ont the interweb
Terminal balistic performance by Nathan Foster.
Nathan covers different cartridges and projectiles based on ACTUAL field performance. Nathan and his wife have done extensive research on the subject and is a very knowledgeable man. He is also very approachable by phone. I rang him regarding the performance of the 35 Whelen when loaded to the velocities I get. He told meto read his write up on the 358 Norma.
We spent a good hour or more discussing the merits of various calibres and projectiles.. A really great bloke.
Bob

There are quite a few, to include the FBI study on terminal ballistics in the wake of the Miami shooting. Most of the publications with respect to terminal ballistics are written in medical terms, and are unreachable by the average Joe. I say publications, because they are more likely to be medical papers than "books", and require autopsies. I'll bet money that if somebody did write a book, everyone would call him a liar anyway because it would run against whatever they've been using.

The frustrating disconnect is between the guys doing the science, and the guys doing the marketing. Even talking to bullet designers your all over the place, with some being incredibly versed and some just coming up with something they felt would work.

Most of us suffer from "small sample size". Which means even after a lifetime of shooting game, we only have limited ancillary data. I've never had a "Speer Hot-Cor" fail, but I'm not qualified medically to conduct an autopsy. My sample size is dozens out of millions, and in a single caliber (for Hot-Cor in 375). I may suspect a Partition or a TBBC is a better bullet, but so far... everything hit the ground. I also had hammer hunters absolutely rock everything heavier, and pencil through a couple impala.

I never personally had luck with a Core-Lokt in terms of accuracy and I've had one fail in a whitetail. Many others have had years of success with them. Who is right? I've also never had a Partition fail, and I was just reading about one that failed in a 375 H&H. When you do read the old sporting magazines, you see bullet failure used to be a huge and common problem. Like most things, I suspect bullets of all designs continued to be improved upon. At any rate, I doubt anyone will reach a consensus anytime soon.
As detailed by Kevin Robertson in his books, Nos PTs have failed on African DG, and that's why they're not recommended on the big boys. Rather, they're excellent terminal performers on ALL NA game and PG but also fine for Big cats, croc. There's typically a min and max V range for bullets (even for PTs,) and if below (typ. 1800ish) or in excess (many 3250 or less) it may not perform so well on game...I've had the excess experience with some others (orig. Nos BTs, orig. Berger VLDs, etc. in .257-.264 @ >3150-3450 fps) but the mfrs corrected the situation.

Last edited:
BOB couldn’t agree more about the practice and practice in every different way
my uncle and mentor would save plastic milk and juice jugs and he would go hang them in trees and we would walk his shooting courses on the ranch, practicing on hunting shots , prone, sitting , resting on a rock or tree at unknown distance and wind , angle, till shots became instinct
same with .22 and shotgun
bench time is great but being able to consistently shoot on the fly can’t be beat
still shooting with a old Burris signature & leopold because if I need knobs and dials I am getting out of my zone
and premium ammo imo is a bonded or partition, mono
my 2ct
@S-3 Ranch
Sound like the way I did things back in my younger days. I would go thru a brick (500 rounds) of 22lr most weekends practising.22lr back then was 50 cents /50 box. Some times I would have a mate though cans and I would try and hit them before the hit the ground and again as soon as they hit the ground. That was back when we were still allowed to have semi autos back in the mid to late 70s. Some said I was wasting time and money but to me it was having fun and improving my skills. Ah the good ol days when ammo was cheap.
Bob

Boys,

Guess what?

So whats the difference?

I know he knows nothing.

I would like to address some of what you are saying but please understand I am not trying to be an ass. I am merely responding to your statements from a different view point and i am certainly not saying you are wrong or anything like that. I just found your perspective interesting which is the great thing about forums like this. Multiple people with multiple backgrounds, experiences, and the like make for wonderful conversations and I always walk away having learned something every time.
So the later part of your post is a great representative of pseudo what I meant on the whole machismo thing, its just the other end of that spectrum and is sheer ignorance. The whole that's a rich guy thing is an absurd argument due to lack of knowledge and an unwillingness to learn and advance their knowledge base in the sport. Yes all bullets can kill but it is a fact some kill better than others.
I also get your point on the availability of certain information but it is out there. someone commented on articles and there are a heckava lot of them on terminal ballistics of various bullet types and calibers.
Now, I'm going to make a statement but I want to stress that it is not meant as an ego or 'I'm a cool guy statement" because I am far from it. As many know, I was a policeman for many years. During that time, I spent quite a significant portion of my career in our homicide unit as a forensic investigator. there was years of training and study involved to do that in order to testify in court. I have been to more forensic study courses than I can remember everywhere from the Texas DPS Academy and Labs to forensic study courses at Texas Tech University. A huge portion, and one of the reasons that I wanted to go that route to begin with was due to ballistics and my interest in that subject. I will agree that the bulk and especially the older information in book form is on military ammunition however, there is equally as much to the contrary. When it comes to ballistics humans make a great analog for deer sized game. ( Deer and wildlife are actually much "tougher" so to speak as they have a much higher survival instinct. They don't know they are supposed to keel over and die when shot)
Especially with the advent of ballistic gel and the advanced gel technologies there has been a ton of data released in reference to hunting bullets as well as pistol, military, and everything else one can think of. Hell there are tons of studies done on stab wounds, slices, you name it. This information is readily available to the public as are tests and studies on various rounds and calibers in relation to protective vests and everything else. If you can dream of it there is dang good odds someone has studied it and published some form of information about it. I've seen tests on YouTube by civilians comparing the terminal effects of hornady, barnes, sierra, etc of various calibers and grain weights in head to head tests. It is out there but i would agree there is not a single fully comprehensive book covering the terminal ballistics of all hunting bullets, styles, weights, calibers, impact velocity, so on and so forth but that doesn't mean the information is available. It also doesnt mean that, that information isn't reliable. Sure trust but verify but many of the tests preformed by civilians are conducted under perfectly acceptable circumstances for what it is used for. Hell we are hunting animals not trying to testify as expert witnesses in a court of law.
Additionally, I used to love to try to recreate circumstances to better understand how things happen and a million other things. I highly encourage people to study and try things to see how bullets react under certain circumstances. If one is curious about bullet performance most simple test, though admittedly not necessarily the best method, is to simply dig the bullets out of the backstop and see what they did. Of course you need a private area to do this but many people have a shooting spot this can be done at outside of a public range. Use various mediums and see what happens, one will learn a ton and it is cheap and easy to do. No one hardly uses phone books anymore and they make a great medium to shoot into as is wood, cider blocks, etc. Be very very careful with hard objects as ricochet can cause serious injuries or worse. Ballistic gel is available on the open market. It can be expensive and its a little messy and a pita sometimes but you can pour it with various bones in it as well. You can get as elaborate as one's patience and pocket book can afford. I've used entire human analogs with a complete skeletal system and organs for tests before. They are super expensive but if someone just has to know and doesn't have an animal to autopsy it can be done. Every successful hunter has all the information they need for that particular animal under a particular set of circumstances to work with. Do a homemade autopsy on the animal as you clean it. I cant tell you how many times I've done this when working on loads and experimenting with bullet types. At the end of the day we are hunters and hopefully if we are successful we have the perfect test subject. If you want to kill a deer and are successful well by golly you have everything you need right there to get a pretty good idea of practical real time terminal ballistics. Again, we are hunting not trying to get a doctorate or testify in court. The proof is always in the pudding. Take pictures, note the particular circumstances of the hunt, literally as in take notes. Photograph bullet paths, organ damage, bullet penetration, performance, and on and on. If someone really wants to get that involved approach it with the mentality as it is a research project.
Of course, few people have the desire, time, and money to go all out nor does it make a person wrong in not doing so. My entire point is that I disagree that the information isn't out there. It is right in front of every one of us every time we shoot and recover an animal. It doesn't have to come from a noted scientist, lab, author, or university. We are talking about real world practical information. There is endless amounts of it. Not everyone has to have the background of some of the members in the forum to do this.

As detailed by Kevin Robertson in his books, Nos PTs have failed on African DG, and that's why they're not recommended on the big boys. Rather, they're excellent terminal performers on ALL NA game and PG but also fine for Big cats, croc. There's typically a min and max V range for bullets (even for PTs,) and if below (typ. 1800ish) or in excess (many 3250 or less) it may not perform so well on game...I've had the excess experience with some others (orig. Nos BTs, orig. Berger VLDs, etc. in .257-.264 @ >3150-3450 fps) but the mfrs corrected the situation.
I believe it. I've recovered A-Frames and Partitions from moose, and while neither failed... the A-Frames emerged as a tougher bullet (too tough for Caribou, really). I've had a few Berger VLDs blow up in game (and also some awesome internal destruction), but I've not had one of their dedicated Elite Hunter bullets blow up (yet). I had a Nos BT blow up on a shoulder, and quit using them. Went to AccuBonds and haven't had anything work better (on NA game). But, small sample size.

I believe it. I've recovered A-Frames and Partitions from moose, and while neither failed... the A-Frames emerged as a tougher bullet (too tough for Caribou, really). I've had a few Berger VLDs blow up in game (and also some awesome internal destruction), but I've not had one of their dedicated Elite Hunter bullets blow up (yet). I had a Nos BT blow up on a shoulder, and quit using them. Went to AccuBonds and haven't had anything work better (on NA game). But, small sample size.
Absolutely. The Swift are better, but much more difficult to obtain. They will do the same job, betterer. lol But in Africa, on DG they may be the difference between recovery and making grown men cry! lol Or, based on the other post, possibly die (if the hunter agrees the PH should NOT finish the beast!) lol

Absolutely. The Swift are better, but much more difficult to obtain. They will do the same job, betterer. lol But in Africa, on DG they may be the difference between recovery and making grown men cry! lol Or, based on the other post, possibly die (if the hunter agrees the PH should NOT finish the beast!) lol
Yeah, I don't understand trying to restrict a professional from doing their job either.

Especially with the advent of ballistic gel and the advanced gel technologies there has been a ton of data released in reference to hunting bullets as well as pistol, military, and everything else one can think of. Hell there are tons of studies done on stab wounds, slices, you name it. This information is readily available to the public as are tests and studies on various rounds and calibers in relation to protective vests and everything else.

What I beleive, we agree on, is that information is available, but scattered all over, in various media types of presentation, from paper to screen.

Then we have each own research and practical experience.
this is fact, 100%.

What I tried to say is following, after you made so long and dedicated post (full of love), to our joint activity and interest of hunting and hunting ballistic is following:

Can we really expect that every single seasonal weekend hunter, who maybe shoots one or two deer annually, to invest so much effort to process all this scattered information?

You are aware that just with above post and your presented knowledge you are far above average?

I have very similar approach, not to mention my overall shooting activities: long range target shooting, practical shooting IDPA, IPSC, classic bulls eye pistol, local hunting, african hunting, organizing target shoot events in my club, adminning the club, coaching, etc... And I try to follow up and digest all informations, with a lot of time invested and spent, just because informations we talk about are scattered everywhere.

So I doubt that average person will invest so much time as you did.
Getting the knowledge in this way is hard, a lifetime assignment, and not everybody is in it.

@gizmo
About investing time.... Not everybody do it this way... just dedicated few...
spare time activity.jpg

@mark-hunter 100%. I think you are spot on but I have no sympathy for people that don’t at least make an effort to learn. You are absolutely correct, very few people have the time, money, or effort to put that much into it. That being said, the guys that shoot their rifle 3x a year and put absolutely no effort into learning anything yet criticize or want to argue are the ones that get me riled up.
Ok anyway, I was thinking last night just about the idea of what it would take to do a fully comprehensive book on hunting and self defense loads. Good Lord that would be a years long project but…. I wonder if there would be enough interest out there to make the juice worth the squeeze. I think it would be a massive undertaking but would be a lot of fun. Of course there would be people who would want to argue and buck certain things. My response would be out in the effort and prove it wrong and the book could be updated.
Anyway, there is no way I would have the time for that but it is really good for thought. I just don’t know how many ballistic nerds like you and I are out there and if it would be worth the effect on a financial level. The sweat equity part would be the fun part for me anyway but it would be a rather expensive undertaking but just might be worth it to someone who has the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CristineDe

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with