why do people not use premium bullets?

You would greatly benefit from reading the perfect shot by Kevin Robertson. Vitals on African animals are further forward. It’s a fact. You run the risk of wounding animals if you want to believe the vitals are the same location as North America. If you made the shot on the buffalo where you shot your impala you would have a long tracking session in front of you.
I always prefer to put my shots just behind the shoulder. It has worked just as well on both continents. I knew that shot on impala was "too far back" and really quite surprised it didn't go far. I expected we were in for a long night. Paunch was only slightly perforated which also very much surprised me. I figured poor Lovemore the tracker would be earning his keep gutting this one. I think if I'd placed a similar shot in a mule deer it would indeed have been a long night. Not sure because I never have hit one that far back. Actually, this impala was very clean inside. The buffalo was shot on the run and I called the placement immediately. Verified when we rolled him over.

No different than where I'd shoot a deer (archery or rifle.) Follow back of f. leg up to 1/3 way up the body. This will kill virtually anything. Now, giraffe, croc, ele and hippo require some further study!!! Adder required some quick thinking, but head (off) shot it was! I believe the diff is exaggerated.
View attachment 556385View attachment 556386
I agree. I don't see a huge difference, if any, in the heart/lung location for kudu or NA elk. Behind the shoulder will kill them both ... without filling the garbage can full of bone fragments and bloodshot meat.
ElkShotPlacement.png
1694367107983.png

I always prefer to put my shots just behind the shoulder. It has worked just as well on both continents. I knew that shot on impala was "too far back" and really quite surprised it didn't go far. I expected we were in for a long night. Paunch was only slightly perforated which also very much surprised me. I figured poor Lovemore the tracker would be earning his keep gutting this one. I think if I'd placed a similar shot in a mule deer it would indeed have been a long night. Not sure because I never have hit one that far back. Actually, this impala was very clean inside. The buffalo was shot on the run and I called the placement immediately. Verified when we rolled him over.
It's poss you may have nicked the liver, too. That's a deadly shot, but takes a bit longer to succumb...

I agree. I don't see a huge difference, if any, in the heart/lung location for kudu or NA elk. Behind the shoulder will kill them both ... without filling the garbage can full of bone fragments and bloodshot meat.
View attachment 556393View attachment 556394
Reference The Perfect Shot. He puts his name and experience behind those shot placements. The kudu photo has front leg forward it’s a bad comparison to the elk. Just barely behind the shoulder will kill African game or North American game but it doesn’t change African game is further forward and North American game is further back. You would also benefit from reading Africa’s Most Dangerous by Kevin Robertson. The stomach and lungs are not equal on both sides of a buffalo.

Again reference the perfect shot, but here’s example of deer vs impala
IMG_2145.png
IMG_2144.png

It's poss you may have nicked the liver, too. That's a deadly shot, but takes a bit longer to succumb...
Maybe. I would have thought there would be more blood inside if the liver was blown. No orange blood visible on exit wound so not a serious lung shot.

I once watched my dad poke a big cow elk in the liver with 180 gr 30-06. She was running downhill, collapsed instantly in a cloud of dust, and never got up. The downhill angle of the shot probably knocked her off her feet.

Last edited:
Shot placement Africa vs NA probably belongs in its own thread. Sorry, but that Deer Anatomy 101 diagram doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What's in that huge body cavity vacancy ahead of heart/lungs? I've gutted a couple hundred deer (at least) and I don't see anything ahead of the ribs but the usual bit of foreleg muscle and some brisket. And nothing between heart/lungs and ribs at that end of rib cage.

@C.W. Richter
IF you ever want to get rid of those 35 cal projectiles give me a yell.
Bob
they're in a box somewhere. i'll find and post what i have...at the moment I think they're just preventing a cabin from blowing away in winter storms....also have a number of sample packs of various 358s w/ 1/2 doz or so bullets. Accubonds, Nos PTs, etc.

Yes, he needs them for his .35BNE (Banzai Nelson Express) wildcat.
my new pet project (i fully intend to sell the rights to 35) is the 350-.50 BMG (Biden Must Go!)

what would shipping costs be for 3-4 boxes? would it be wrong for me to COD it to the estate of Olivia N-J c/o Bob 35??
Put them in a large zip lock bag and shove them into a large tub of vegemite and mail it to Townsend as an emergency food ration. LOL

Shot placement Africa vs NA probably belongs in its own thread. Sorry, but that Deer Anatomy 101 diagram doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What's in that huge body cavity vacancy ahead of heart/lungs? I've gutted a couple hundred deer (at least) and I don't see anything ahead of the ribs but the usual bit of foreleg muscle and some brisket. And nothing between heart/lungs and ribs at that end of rib cage.
many strange diagrams out there. at least Dr. Robertson is both a PH and Veterinarian that has done countless post-mortems, sectionals, etc. i think he might've even done a follow-up book on NA game (did he move to TX?) lol in quickly searching for the pics i posted, i did see one from a prominent MSM magazine that showed the tips of deer lungs to extend nearly to the butt! lol "just shoot it anywhere w/ your new black plastic 6.5 Trailmore!"

what would shipping costs be for 3-4 boxes? would it be wrong for me to COD it to the estate of Olivia N-J c/o Bob 35??
Bob is currently dreaming about ONJ at 2:30 a.m....

@Dr Ray
We've never had problems with old fashioned bullets because we are just old school and old fashioned.
We learnt what worked and didn't and use what worked. We didn't shoot into the next country for a shot at game.
We kept ranges reasonable and put the bullet where it was meant to go.
Yeah that's right we went HUNTING not shooting. We still had stuff ups but it was usually OUR fault with bullet placement and impatientance,Not waiting for the right shot. The bullet usually did its job if we did ours.
Bob
Amen brother
my old .303 British with 180gr Remington cor-lok has dumped many a beast, but it’s a humble shooter’s round/ old school
I bet I could soup it up with some premium stuff but why ?

Only takes a box of hot air to load up twenty rounds of 00-00 TIJ (Double-Aught-Nothing Trump In Jail) :D
i'm not certain that's going to win any popularity contests here...but we do have robust senses of humor! don't let the Dem-MSM-NWO turn your brain to goo. The current admins/execs are killing off big American companies/industries that also line the borders in Canada! Are you certain you're far enough north of the GTA??? LOL :p Finest gal I ever knew: Brampton.

Last edited:
Amen brother
my old .303 British with 180gr Remington cor-lok has dumped many a beast, but it’s a humble shooter’s round/ old school
I bet I could soup it up with some premium stuff but why ?
As a 16 y/o that could not afford the quantity of ammo I shot in factory form, I got into handloading by need...read up on Jameson's published pet loads (73-4 gr IMR 4350, 165 Sierra/Hdy/Nos BTSP)....proceeded to go deer hunting in the snow. 'took a 150 yd kneeling shot at a broadside deer on an old abandoned road in the woods. Walked up....blood trail 30 ft uphill and blood trail 30 ft downhill in deep snow. (It took 2 deer feeding side by side and 'collected the bullet in the far hide of the 2nd animal!) Luckily I only had two tags, and as a teen I felt bad for not seeing the 2nd deer. BUT, it's a testament to the terminal performance of original bullet designs!!! 5-shots touching. What initially startled me is that I knew I hit the deer perfectly but didn't see it (the 300 WM would typ drop them immediately.) For off-season practice I'd use 79 gr of same w/ their 110 gr varmint bullets (at 3,900 fps) and those were nearly one-holers. I grew tired of the .22 WMR I got at age 10 as its effective range was 150-180 yds tops. Those old bullets also worked magic for the .270 salesperson O'Connor at considerable distance on sheep and I'm certain a pile o' deer/antelope at distance out west by hunters.

Premium bullets have their place. But even in Africa, they aren’t always needed. If a person goes to say South Africa on a plains game-only safari, with kudu being the biggest animal, I really don’t think they need premium bullets. In the case of leopard, I think most premium bullets are simply too tough. In either situation, a core lock will do just fine.

For cape, buffalo in the thick stuff, I like Swift A-frames, and Barnes triple shocks.
My experience with Trophy Bonded Bearclaws on leopard is exactly the opposite of your view. I just shot a nice leopard 2 weeks ago with a 225 grain Bearclaw from my 338. The exit hole was the size of a quarter and the cat was dead less than 20 yards from the tree. Another leopard I shot with the same bullet years ago never took a step. The first leopard I ever shot was with a 180 grain Nosler Partition from a 300 Winchester. He was stone dead as he fell off the limb. The right premium bullet for leopard can be an excellent choice. That said, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Sierra Game King or Remington Core Lokt on a leopard as either would be excellent choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay A Huminsky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg