Who to take?

I love the group hunt! I have always taken a group to Africa, once 4 couples, another time 2 friends and the last time 2 buddies and ones son. The group trip brings a whole new dynamic to the plate. I hunt mammals in the US by myself and its great but for trips I like to share them.

As for "On the hunt" groups I like the 2 hunters and 1 PH. You get to share the experience. You have someone to take pictures and you get to take part in more hunts. I did do a 3 hunters and 1 PH in 2019 it worked out great we had a blast and everyone filled there bag. The only real issue was the truck was packed all the time.

Now for sharing a camp with other "Not our group" of hunters, I'm so so on. I love making new friends and sharing past stories but I have been in camps that the other hunters are assholes, idiots or negative as hell. I cant stand any of those folks.

Give me a group of friends or loved ones any day for camp and to hunt with. The sharing of life and its adventures is one of the most valuable things on Earth. I love my people and the time I get to spend with them.

282948_800075300003194_3953496406470062214_n.jpg
IMG_0066.JPG
My Zebra.jpg
2014 Africa (4).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t always go to Africa, but when I do, I take @Jeff505 Or maybe he takes me? Anyway, he tolerates me well, has a wonderfully eccentric sense of humor, and has good taste in whiskey(y). His snoring not withstanding, he’s better than a rock in your shoe. If he’d just stop shooting bigger trophies than me……

I traveled alone on 4 of my 5 African hunts. Had a good friend with his wife and teenage son on one trip, which worked out ok. I'm going solo in Australia next year for water buff.
I was fortunate to meet a couple in camp in 2018 that were fun to hang out with and we have met in the same camp two other times, but this year the outfitter booked four other hunters into camp while we were there. Camp felt crowded and I didn't find the 4 newcomers to be good company in camp.

Having said all that, I would hunt with @KevinPeacock, but only if he will let me drive his vintage Rover. LOL
Of course you may, I love being chauffeured!

A slight digression, but getting on with the camp leaders and PH's is another thing too. On our one hunts the PH was a really great guy, pleasant, competent, not trying to be witty or humerous, just good company. Tha camp manager however was a sombre negative person, a real ponce. The PH cancelled him out, but it would have been good to send him on leave for the duration.

I will be going to Africa for the first time in May. Originally, just my father and I to celebrate my college graduation together. My mom suggested my brother in law joins us.
Now it is the 3 men of the family going on safari. Could not be more excited. I think it will make the trip even more memorable. More the marrier

We are hunting with Khomas highland Hunting safaris in Namib.

Great question! Looking forward to reading what everyone likes!
For me, I prefer my husband and me. There are a couple of other gentlemen on here I would share a PH with also. As far as the group at camp…I’d rather know them and know they aren’t going to be loud obnoxious drunks (or just obnoxious) as I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with that in times past. And unless I knew them REALLY well, I would not hunt or share camp with other women. The last time I went hunting it was GREAT and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I don’t always go to Africa, but when I do, I take @Jeff505 Or maybe he takes me? Anyway, he tolerates me well, has a wonderfully eccentric sense of humor, and has good taste in whiskey(y). His snoring not withstanding, he’s better than a rock in your shoe. If he’d just stop shooting bigger trophies than me……
Doug and I have an idea we are going to see if our wives would like to move into the same house. We would then sell the extra house and use it to financed manly expeditions to the Dark Continent ( I have been using the phrase a lot lately). Our wives would the have much in common to talk about, like their poor choice in husbands. Anyway it’s a thought.

So here is my hunting buddy Doug, I am the intelligent looking gentleman on the right.

36A60AEB-191E-4A53-B817-E85A6731AC44.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug and I have an idea we are going to see if our wives would like to move into the same house. We would then sell the extra house and use it to financed manly expeditions to the Dark Continent ( I have been using the phrase a lot lately). Our wives would the have much in common to talk about, like their poor choice in husbands. Anyway it’s a thought.
If there are just the tw of them would they need a whole house? Sell both houses and get them a small apartment.

If there are just the tw of them would they need a whole house? Sell both houses and get them a small apartment.

Or sell both houses and move them to Harare. It will cut down on air travel costs.

Great, great question, Kevin.

I've done it both ways--with a buddy, and by myself. I prefer going with a friend, so that we can extend the safari indefinitely by talking about it and reminiscing about this or that moment every time we get together.

However, it's not always easy to talk someone into traveling to the other side of the world, spending thousands of dollars and taking days away from their family. Also, it has to be the right person--it's very easy to get on each-other's nerves when traveling, especially after (essentially) three days without sleep on the way there.

But when it's the right friend, it's nice to hunt together, to be a gentleman and offer your buddy the first shot, to congratulate each-other, and to take the common experience back in the form of memories to be cherished every time you see one-another. Especially when you're both powderheads and rifle nuts--how about my handload, eh? Wonderful work with that lever action that nobody thought you should take to Africa! What are you taking next time, and what load are you developing for it?

The safari experience is not really my wife's cup of tea, so I can't speak for taking a significant other to Africa. I cherish female company as much as (or, very likely, more than!) the next guy, but something tells me that I'd still enjoy the experience more with a buddy. I view camaraderie as something between guys--the presence of a woman, although lovely, imposes a certain etiquette that somehow limits the scope of what can be said, done, spent ($$$$!!!) or talked about while on safari. Also, while there I don't want to have the responsibility of worrying about my woman being happy, entertained, comfortable, etc.

So, with a buddy it is, or with a PH that you know and knows you, that you're comfortable with, and that treats you like family--like mine has upon my second (solo) safari.
For me as long as I hunt 1x1 with a PH having friends together around the fire and traveling together is great

That gives me a thought, what about a wives commune. We could all pitch in and have a nice place for the ladies to live and they could enjoy each other’s company and learn crafts. Once a month they could sell quilts, sweaters or other items they created. The money could be sent to the hunters fund to finance our important mission.…….wake up, wake up Jeff, it’s time to go to work. Oh I was dreaming dear.

The only person I'm currently considering taking with me to Africa is my son. He and I have been hunting together since he was 4. Once he was old enough, typically we go our separate ways during the day, but the time together in camp is priceless. He and I could hunt 2x1.
The earlier years hunting with my now ex-FIL and his cronies, and then with my former boss and a bunch of other guys, I learned hunting camp requires a better bond than just going to someone's BBQ. These days I'm fairly particular about who gets invited. Don't think I'd be up for 2x1 hunting with someone I just met. Meeting new people in camp at the end of the day would probably be ok, depending on the individuals.
I consider@philipglass a friend who I am looking to share a camp fire by in Zim next year. I am taking my son Hunter in 24 on his first safari

My four daughters have all expressed interest in coming on a hunting safari with me, I think I will take them one at a time. Proper safaris, nice camps, either South Africa or Zimbabwe. They will probably start with PG, but I can see one of them at least wanting a buff sooner than later. They are all adults now, two have families but their husbands can stay at home and mind the kids!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay A Huminsky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg