Who likes hammer guns?

ian-bradley

AH senior member
Joined
Jun 9, 2016
Messages
94
Reaction score
158
Location
Ponchatoula
Media
29
Hunted
Namibia
This is my new to me unknown maker French 12ga hammer gun. I am really a sucker for color case hardening, let’s see if I can hit a woodcock with it in a few months.
 
Would love to see a pic of your new shotgun. I love wingshooting with hammer guns. and at some point hope to find a break action 6.5x57 single with hammer and underlever.
 
Would love to see a pic of your new shotgun. I love wingshooting with hammer guns. and at some point hope to find a break action 6.5x57 single with hammer and underlever.
the pic Had some problems
upload_2019-10-4_10-22-0.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A Ferlach over/under combination hammer gun, 7x72R, 16ga 2 1/2", Zeiss 5-15x42 Diavari on pivot mount.

DSC03897.JPG
DSC03898.JPG
 
Those are respectively great looking firearms.
 
image.jpg


image.jpg

I know actually nothing about this gun, bought it at an auction because nobody was bidding on it and it was to cool to let pass by.
What I Know:
H. Pieper Liege Patent 23 April 1881 No. 11881
image.jpg

It is very much at home as a decoration, I just haven’t spent much energy researching it. I believe it to be a 10 bore but could be wrong there. If anyone has any ideas I’d love to hear them!
Beautiful shotgun Ian!
Cheers,
Cody
 
138473-1421359e28622b1b7aad1774573fd09a.jpg


10 bore rifle made 1870..
 
Hammer operated shot-guns are a beautiful piece of art. The pictures which l see here all have the switch on the top to open the breech. During my youth , hammer shot-guns used to have a crank at the bottom of the gun which would end under the trigger guard. You would turn this crank and the breech would open.
One of my students has inherited such a shot-gun from his father and acquired the license for it. He shoots it well , but initially he would raise the gun at targets or birds and pull the triggers without remembering to pull back the two hammers.
 
Hammer operated shot-guns are a beautiful piece of art. The pictures which l see here all have the switch on the top to open the breech. During my youth , hammer shot-guns used to have a crank at the bottom of the gun which would end under the trigger guard. You would turn this crank and the breech would open.
One of my students has inherited such a shot-gun from his father and acquired the license for it. He shoots it well , but initially he would raise the gun at targets or birds and pull the triggers without remembering to pull back the two hammers.

The guns you remember from your youth were/are called Underlever, more specifically Jones Underlever. Quite a popular bolting mechanism especially for real serious double rifles.
The Toplever is what we see the most of, especially in shotguns.
A Sidelever is a wonderfully unique mechanism that I think looks very elegant on hammer guns.
0_phes_20120903-1455.jpg

There are a few other interesting versions, including a Pushlever and the opposite pull - or Snaplever, which I think may be the easiest to use and most beautiful since the entire lever is engraved.
 
The guns you remember from your youth were/are called Underlever, more specifically Jones Underlever. Quite a popular bolting mechanism especially for real serious double rifles.
The Toplever is what we see the most of, especially in shotguns.
A Sidelever is a wonderfully unique mechanism that I think looks very elegant on hammer guns.
View attachment 308742
There are a few other interesting versions, including a Pushlever and the opposite pull - or Snaplever, which I think may be the easiest to use and most beautiful since the entire lever is engraved.
Hammer Guy
Why yes. Thank you for finding a picture for me to recognize
 
Had a 45-70 Hammer double in my hands a couple days ago, it looks like it could get the job done on some warthogs...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,370
Members
169,546
Latest member
MariaCross
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top