Who else subscribes to Field & Stream magazine?

Ridge Runner

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I received my F&S newsletter today with 2 interesting articles.

The first article is about 2 tournament walleye fisherman caught cheating, losing their $130,000.00 boat, currently being auctioned off, auction ends July 23rd. They each were facing multiple charges. Of these charges; filling walleye with lead sinkers to falsely win walleye tournaments.

The second article is about Ohio legislation bill passes to ban hog hunting in Ohio.

In my early, early years growing up in Ohio there were never any feral hogs in Ohio. In my not so early, early years the deer population exploded;... And still there were no feral hogs in Ohio.

With exception to having passed through Cincinnati several years ago, it been so long (decades) since I've been to Ohio, I would like for our Ohio members to chime in providing more information on this matter.

Especially on the subject matter of who-what morons decided Ohio needed feral hogs?

The first article is about 2 tournament walleye fisherman caught cheating, losing their $130,000.00 boat, currently being auctioned off, auction ends July 23rd. They each were facing multiple charges. Of these charges; filling walleye with lead sinkers to falsely win walleye tournaments.

The second article is about Ohio legislation bill passes to ban hog hunting in Ohio.

In my early, early years growing up in Ohio there were never any feral hogs in Ohio. In my not so early, early years the deer population exploded;... And still there were no feral hogs in Ohio.

With exception to having passed through Cincinnati several years ago, it been so long (decades) since I've been to Ohio, I would like for our Ohio members to chime in providing more information on this matter.

Especially on the subject matter of who-what morons decided Ohio needed feral hogs?
I deer hunted near McConnelsville years ago and saw one hog. I hunted Meigs county for about 25 years and never saw a hog. However, this past year a friend who still hunts that property saw two, but even more interesting, saw some black bears.
A Game Warden was at the range checking his rifle. He told me there are a few pockets of hogs in SE Ohio and as long as the groups aren’t broken up, the state has done a good job killing them.

Growing up back in the 1960's reporting a bear sighting west of the Appalachian Mountains along the Pennsylvania - Ohio line gained as much attention, curiosity, and speculations of a person's mental state as spotting a UFO.

I recognized the walleye story from last
Spring-I first heard about it on the Dan Patrick morning sports show. I get a couple magazines still but F &S not among them, although if I see something of particular interest, I buy it off the rack once in awhile.
IMG_9926.jpeg

It’s not that we need them but that the desire to hunt them causes spreads . I read the article yesterday and reached out to a high fence guy I know to see what he’s thinking . At the end of the day you cannot wipe out the animal and have people hunting them. Too much money in that

I only subscribe to F&S to read Bill Heavey.
I remember as a teenager getting all excited when the Field & Stream arrived in the mail. Would turn straight to Patrick McManus to read about his misadventures.

Or was it Outdoor Life? Hell, I don’t remember. :cool:

I remember as a teenager getting all excited when the Field & Stream arrived in the mail. Would turn straight to Patrick McManus to read about his misadventures.

I'm pretty sure growing up our mail carrier hated us, even though he would smile and talk with us for a few minutes from time to time. First of the month is when all of our magazines and catalogs would arrive;

Field & Stream, Sports Afield, Peterson's Hunting, Outdoor Life, NRA, Sportsman's Journal, 2 or 3 other outdoor hunting and fishing magazines, along with Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, Sears & Roebuck, J.C.Whitney, and 3 or 4 other catalogs, with the normal bills and junk mail.

Publisher's Clearing House got a lot of initial entrees from our house. The mailman got a lot of muscle work.

It was Field & Stream; a great magazine in those days. McManus was good, but he was no match for Ed Zern and his back-page column "Exit Laughing." Who can forget The Madison Avenue Rod, Gun, Labrador Retriever and Bloody Mary Benevolent Association?

Dropped the subscription years ago though. It seemed like the magazine and I grew in different directions. Still see it from time to time in the waiting room of the dentist's office.

I subscribed to F&S for years, that is until they went away from hunting and fishing and took up bikes, and other outdoor activities. I dropped them like a hot rock.

Then another outfit purchased them and went back to the hunting and fishing themes but I never did go back to them.

I had read the feral hogs were escapees from a private hunting preserve a number of years ago in southeastern Ohio. Went to Nelsonville for Timber Management degree at Hocking Tech early '80s, really good area at that time for deer and ruffed grouse. We never saw any sign of feral hogs then.
It's hard to imagine the grouse decline in Ohio. Sightings make the eBird Rare Bird Alerts now.
I haven't perused Field and Stream in years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lutori

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me