Who and what do waterfowlers and bird hunters hunt internationally?

IMG_7635.jpeg

Geese and ducks from Canada that winter migrate to/thru the US so ...ehh yes. As they migrate as far down as into Mexico and South America. The perdiz would be interesting as you are the first to inform me of such a bird.

Yes, doves in South America, I think there are too many outdoor (hunting) TV shows on dove hunting in Argentina for anyone here not to know about.

It's not, for me about bragging rights as this IMPO is stupid. But when in (waterfowl) hunting camp my waterfowl buddies eventually start talking about the number and species of birds they have killed, and the number of bands they've collected over the years/decades (which I haven't been able to acquire...yet), in various areas of the US, primarily here in Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, the various (US) "praire states", etc. Personally (on a sarcastic humourous side) I would like to just say nothing, just nonchalantly thumb point to an Egyptian goose or other such hunted (foreign/non native to the USA) species in it's native or migratory area, to close/ or restrain the conversation; That would be priceless.:unsure::LOL::LOL:

Well, starting in the USA, I think a mounted Barrow's or King Eider would probably silence a lot of people. However, hunts for them in Alaska are probably getting darn near the cost of something like a Central America or Argentina hunt. I saw tons of whistlers in Colombia and would have given anything to be able to take a few. We were fishing, though. That's another one to have for the wall.

Another one, in the USA, that is basically the holy grail of domestic waterfowl: Eurasian wigeon. There are a few that show up less than 10 miles from my home. To take one of those is like hitting the jackpot.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though. People come from all over the USA and even world to NY/NJ/MD/DE to hunt Atlantic Brant. I see 100's if not 1000's every duck season.

Took my son to a local college museum this morning. They have a complete collection of modern mounted waterfowl of the world as Well as most if not all the pheasants, cranes, quails and Guinees. Really well done. Also some other fun mounts on display.
IMG_7915.jpeg
IMG_7916.jpeg
IMG_7917.jpeg
IMG_7920.jpeg
IMG_7919.jpeg
IMG_7918.jpeg
IMG_7926.jpeg
IMG_7925.jpeg
IMG_7924.jpeg

I alway at least inquire about bird hunting while in Africa. A lot of the bird hunting there is under utilized and not given much thought by big game hunters while on safari. I have had some outstanding and challenging wing shooting for doves, francolin, guineas and sand grouse. Not interested in the "gluttony" shoots so often advertised in South Anerica. I take it as it comes for relaxation and some selective shooting while in Africa. I found guineas in some areas as challenging as any late season rooster pheasant in heavily hunted areas in the US. Late afternoon pass shooting sand grouse headed to water is a good as it gets for that type shotgunning. Some of the camp chefs do magic with birds. Best I ever ate was guinea in Zambia. Contrasted to the worst which was ostrich in RSA. :)

Last edited:
Surprised no one has mentioned rock pigeon shooting in SA. Extremely challenging with plenty of birds!

Grasslands Safaris offer a first class operation with plenty of concessions (sunflower fields usually) to shoot over. They are based an hour outside Bloemfontein. They also offer waterfowl and guinea-fowl hunts plus some plains game.

While waterfowl shooting here can be great sport, the birds do tend to be a bit hit and miss (i.e. unpredictable) as they move around the country following food and water availability.

Took my son to a local college museum this morning. They have a complete collection of modern mounted waterfowl of the world as Well as most if not all the pheasants, cranes, quails and Guinees. Really well done. Also some other fun mounts on display. View attachment 545902View attachment 545903View attachment 545904View attachment 545905View attachment 545906View attachment 545907View attachment 545908View attachment 545909View attachment 545910
Nice photos. Where is this university museum located? Looks like definitely worth a visit. Thanks, TheGrayRider.

Monte L Bean museum at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. Much of the other displays are very dated-the bird display is new and very well done. Troy Garner did the bird taxidermy in conjunction with a wealthy gentleman last name of Morris. There were some other parties involved providing woodwork and bases etc.

Reactions: WAB
When my Powerball digits hit, I'm booking all the spots on the train, gathering up a bunch of friends and go have a grand time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!