Which Second Rifle?

I would take the 6.5.

WDM Bell used the 6.5 MS for taking a lot of game for the pot, as did a lot of European settlers in Kenya and Uganda at that time. I'm going that direction for the springbok and up to hartebeest sized game. Anything larger the 375 covers.
Bell used a 256 Gibbs for his pot rifle. It’s based of the 7x57 if I recall.

@chashardy -

No, I have a strict policy of "my own hunts, my own antique rifle collection." I've spent a lifetime (in my own small way) collecting good vintage English rifles--plus the occasional Germanic piece. So my policy is not to spend my own money on a hunt unless I can do so with a rifle near or over 100 years old.

Corporate hunts? You'd have a hard time prying me from the Iphisi!
I salute this thought process

Having never been to Africa, nor owning a double rifle, but having considerable experience shooting a nice double shotgun that fits me very well, I’d pick the Webley .450 BP Express! Shooting a gun that really fits you is an experience everyone should experience at least once. There is nothing quite like it.
I’m also not sure I wouldn’t work up a good BP load for it & see how it regulates.
;)

Take your .318 WR beautiful and classic rifle.

Glad to hear you’re planning a hunt Tom, and even cooler that it’s irons only,…my kinda hunt.

I’d take the 318 WR as a second.

My vote would be for the Mannlicher. Why ? It’s a pretty iconic rifle to use in Africa. Beautiful smooth action and 160gr bullets are good medicine for plainsgame. I admit to some personal bias.
DSCF5065.jpeg
DSCF5050.jpeg
DSCF0059.jpeg
DSCF0068.jpeg

Thoughts? If it were you, which of these rifles would you take along with "my" .375?

Tom, the obvious answer is to book three safaris, and take one of these rifles as the backup on each of them! :cool:

But since you are planning for smaller game, I would lean towards the 6.5x54 M-S. The .375 H&H Flanged should cover you on anything else that you are likely to shoot at iron-sight distances. Best of luck with your safari regardles.

The 6,5x54. Ideal for the Springbuck

Out of your options, I’d choose the 318

Take the rifle with most  personal history attached. I would never consider hunting anything anywhere (except dangerous game) without the WWII Springfield Dad fixed up in 1962. He handed it to me two years later when I started hunting. Since then it's taken thirteen elk, seven moose, probably a hundred deer, a few coyotes, and all but two of thirty plains game. I'm sure there are/were better rifles made, but only one with my history attached.

OH: While I don't disagree with your sentiment, how does one obtain "personal history" with a particular rifle unless he takes it hunting? Sometimes you have to invite a "new" rifle to the hunt in order to "make personal history" with it as well.

318 WR for sure, I'm fond of overlap simply because things can always go wrong with any gun/ammo and overlap lets me sleep better.

But Damn a lot to be said for following in Mr. Bell's foot steps with the 6.5 X 54.

If only all our tough choices were this much fun, we could all die happy.

Have a great hunt, wish my aged eyes could still use the open sights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeifBannis

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.