Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA (Life), True Green Alliance
Hunted
USA, Finland, Canada, Africa, Greenland
After a couple years' hiatus from the Dark Continent, I am planning my next South African safari in 2025. On the menu is plains game--I want to do my Springbuck slam as well as hunt other species to add to my collection. Perhaps red Hartebeest, or Waterbuck, or whatever the Gods send my way.

The theme for this safari will be iron sights only. Any form of optic is staying home, save of course for my trusted Leica 10x25 binos.

As a first rifle, I'm of course taking my default H&H single shot in .375 H&H Flanged. I was able to find the correct Lyman tang sight that was originally ordered with the rifle back in 1925. And yes, the date is not lost on me. The rifle will also accompany me to New Zealand in March to "celebrate" its 100 years of giving joy to whoever uses it. Here is the rifle, complete with Lyman sight:

1719424788173.jpeg

But which rifle to take as a second gun? The choice is between three that I am yet to bloody. Here they are, in no particular order.

Choice N. 1: Steyr-Mannlicher M. 1903 in 6.5X54 MS. I will use 160gr bullets pushed at about 2,300 fps. With this load, the rifle is spot on at 150 yards and is capable of incredible groups. It's one of the most accurate rifles I own.

1719424856869.jpeg

Choice N. 2: P. Webley fine-grade double rifle, .450 BPE, which I will load with a 350gr lead bullet ahead of 52gr of 4198 and some dacron as a filler, which will perfectly replicate the original ballistics (1,850 fps). Being a double rifle, this Webley is naturally not as much of a tack-driver as the other two, but it's probably the rifle that fits me best. It comes up to the shoulder like it was custom made for me. Plus, it's gorgeous. Oh, and one more great thing: it's a double!

1719425457225.jpeg

1719425486178.jpeg

Choice N. 3: 1930's Cogswell & Harrison Mauser in .318 WR (.318 Nitro Express). This rifle shoots like a champ, and with the original load of 250gr bullet pushed at about 2,300 fps it's sure to drop everything in its tracks (provided of course that I do my job!). With the second leaf, it hits the 10 ring at 200 yards with a center hold. Trigger is super-crisp, and it's a joy to shoot.

1719425745618.jpeg

Thoughts? If it were you, which of these rifles would you take along with "my" .375?

Last edited:
Wow!
That’s a hard decision as the other three are stunning!
I would take the 6.5x54 as a light rifle. Perfect for game like all four Springbok, Red hartebeest, Black wildebeest and others in the < 300-350lb class.
The beautiful H&H can make its appearance when it’s time for larger species.

6.5... zero doubt on that one for me..

6.5x54.

It will be a joy to carry all day and easier to manoeuvre when you have to crawl after your springbuck.

Although not ideal, if you bump into a hartebeest/waterbuck while carrying it those long 160gr bullets will get the job done if you do yours.

W.D.M. Bell was quite fond of the 6.5mm Mannlicher Schoenauer as premier 'game getter' and also used same to take bull elephant with his famous 'brain shot', though he became dissatisfied with the British produced ammunition that had been available to him.

MS Bell Brain Shot 01.jpg

What a great dilemna you have facing you Tom!

I'm sure you'll make, what you know deep down to be the right choice, and take the .318 Westley Richards. (y)

The 318WR would be my choice. What a beautiful piece, but they are all lovely in their own way.

Isn't it good to have such "problems"?

Wishing you good luck on the hunt.

WDM Bell used the 6.5 MS for taking a lot of game for the pot, as did a lot of European settlers in Kenya and Uganda at that time. I'm going that direction for the springbok and up to hartebeest sized game. Anything larger the 375 covers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mauricejeand

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.