Which scope

I'm not saying it's bad but you wouldn't catch me dead buying the cheapest scope a brand makes and ride 20k+ trip on it.

I will 100% admit I'm a scope snob, I don't bat an eye at spending 3-5k on a scope for a rifle. The idea of bringing a $200 scope on a trip of a lifetime has never crossed my mind. It's like hunting elephants with a Savage 110...:sick:

I've always been a Leupold guy, but had one of those go bad on me a few years back. I took of a decades-old Leupold 2-7X from my 1970s era Weatherby 300 and "upgraded" to a new VX-3 4.5x14.

The thing drove me nuts. It would sight-in easily, but between sessions it would sometimes wander off. Not every time, just once in a while. I was tinkering with a new load at the time and couldn't sort out the problem until it had cost me a lost wounded waterbuck.

When I got home it went back to the factory. They said "It's fine" and sent it back without doing anything. Tried it again on 2 different rifles. Same problem. It's the sort of failure that makes you crazy.

Every manufacturer has duds. Nowadays, I'd prefer a trusted ancient Weaver or Bushnell over an unproven Nightforce or Swarovski any day of the week.

I'm not saying it's bad but you wouldn't catch me dead buying the cheapest scope a brand makes and ride 20k+ trip on it.

I will 100% admit I'm a scope snob, I don't bat an eye at spending 3-5k on a scope for a rifle. The idea of bringing a $200 scope on a trip of a lifetime has never crossed my mind. It's like hunting elephants with a Savage 110...:sick:
I see quite a difference between cheap and reliable
A savage 110 is cheap a Winchester model 70 is reliable.
A Tasco scope is cheap a Leupold is reliable.
I see too many people here say they can’t afford certain hunts but spend money on double rifles, semi-custom bolts like Dakotas, or Swarovski or Leica scopes when they are really just a luxury without any added function in most situations.

Finally got the cheap Bushnell 1-4x to the range today. Bore sighted yesterday out the kitchen window, eyeballing it through the bore at fifty yards to a piece of red duct tape on the side of the garage. Took five shots at the range to walk it into the center. What a piece of crap, eh? :D
17207502287397702900887478413428.jpg

Finally got the cheap Bushnell 1-4x to the range today. Bore sighted yesterday out the kitchen window, eyeballing it through the bore at fifty yards to a piece of red duct tape on the side of the garage. Took five shots at the range to walk it into the center. What a piece of crap, eh? :D
View attachment 619190
I found mine pretty easy to sight in as well.

View attachment 619190
I don’t know if it will be good or bad, but Bushnell isn’t a proven scope on a heavy rifle. Most scopes will sight in, report back on 500th or 1000th shot.

I don’t know if it will be good or bad, but Bushnell isn’t a proven scope on a heavy rifle. Most scopes will sight in, report back on 500th or 1000th shot.
I would be reporting to my retina surgeon first. After I've seen my mortgage adviser.

The probability that this gun will ever see 500 rounds in my hands is extremely unlikely, especially at my age. I've been shooting my Springfield 03A3 since Dad gave it to me In 1964. I'm guessing it's shot well over a hundred animals (easily!) but I know for certain it's never shot 500 rounds. Shooting paper has never been my thing. I don't see any point in it. And certainly no point in beating myself up with a thumper recoil rifle at the range. 1) It can put me at risk of losing my one remaining good eye. That would mean no more hunting or driving or writing. End of living. 2) Five hundred rounds through that 404 and I'd likely have PTSD and wind up hitting the trigger like I was splitting wood. Now, I'm not "recoil adverse" ... but I also don't have any plans to achieve that objective.

Me shooting a thousand rounds with that, or any rifle, is totally unrealistic. However, I often shoot more than a thousand rounds per year at the trap/skeet/clays range but 1) those are moving targets 2) from standing position often with some walking involved, 3) typically socializing is involved, and 4) shot with an easy recoil very heavy Browning A5 semiauto. Shooting moving targets is fun and good practice. Shooting paper is boring, noisy, and if done to excess it can be counterproductive ... for me downright dangerous. It's also extremely expensive these days. What's to like?

Years ago I had a heated discussion on another forum with a well-known gun editor about the benefits or not of rifle range "practice, practice, practice." Bottom line: consider who's paying his bills. :unsure:

For long distance shooting I suppose punching a lot of paper has some merit. But I never considered that hunting and the ethics are questionable. Anyway, for dangerous game it's nonapplicable.

Just acquired a new ruger african in 375 ruger. Needs a scope. My choices are leupold freedom LPV or Votex
diamondback also LPV
any suggestions
Personally I’d look at the Leupold given your two options for now.

If I was planning on hunting any sort of DG including Grizz/Browns I’d try to upgrade the scope as soon as I had the funds. Given the price of hunts these days, I believe the most important things we can spend our money on given the cost of hunts are 1) the best quality ammo we can afford 2) the best quality optic we can afford 3) the best footwear that works for our feet

Just acquired a new ruger african in 375 ruger. Needs a scope. My choices are leupold freedom LPV or Votex
diamondback also LPV
any suggestions
Leupold 100%. the range of horizontal and vertical is unsurpassed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxanna711

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available