Which scope

steve71

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Just acquired a new ruger african in 375 ruger. Needs a scope. My choices are leupold freedom LPV or Votex
diamondback also LPV
any suggestions

The leupold freedom 1.5 to 4 would be my choice or the 3 to 9 if you want more magnification. I am pretty happy with 4 x magnification out to as far as I can shoot in the field- 200 m or so. I would only use more mag for target shooting.

thanks I like the reticle on the leupold more. will be used to hunt buffalo and some plains game. want to keep shots under 200yds. Buff under 100

Most shots in Africa will be well under 200 yards. There are a few exceptions but that's the general result. They like getting clients a lot closer than that. Buffalo will usually be well under 100 yards. Tell your PH you want to get to less than 50 yards on buff. Don't cheat yourself of the memory of being close to them. It's a special thing.

I have been disappointed with new Leupolds. Vx3i would not focus, muzzloader scope wouldn’t hold zero, vx5hd was great at first then started shooting 8 inch groups. Leupold repaired them all. The 5HD twice. I started buying used varix3. Problems solved. I hope they get their quality control back.

I have a basic Leupold Vari-x IIc 3x9 on my model 70 375 H&H. It is all I would ever need on that rifle.

A Leupold Freedom 2-7 is perfect. It’s built equally tough as any of their other scopes the glass just isn’t at VX5 or VX6 level. The only time it matters is extreme first light and extreme last light.

I have an old VX2 in 1-4 on my 375 Ruger I used for buffalo and a few plains game. No frills, but worked great. I'm guessing the latest Freedom 1.5-4 is the essentially the same scope with a new name. The only thing I'd like a bit more is an illuminated dot reticle to stick out a bit more on a dark animal like buffalo. Not the end of the world, I did fine and so have many others, but a plus. In that case the VX-3HD 1.5-5 would be better, but more money.

Last edited:
I've got a vx-freedom 1.5-4 with the pig plex reticle on a 30-30 lever gun. Its quite a good scope for the money, and that duplex reticle with the centralized circle is pretty handy for shooting quick. Good scope for the money.

I picked up a 1-4x Bushnell Elite earlier this year and so far pleased ... especially with the price. Very clear, lots of eye relief, and quick acquisition.
20240415_104512.jpg

20240414_091549.jpg

Last edited:
I don't understand the logic in trying to buy cheap optics when your traveling across the world to hunt dangerous game and paying alot of money to do it. You're optic shouldn't be where you want to save money. I def would not buy any Vortex or low end Leupold for that purpose, you're taking a gamble.

When it comes down to hitting exactly where you're aiming, being able to pick out game in thick brush possibly in lower light situations. Relying on your optic to keep zero when bouncing around a bakkie and being drug around on long tracking jobs. You need a high quality optic with the reputation to go with it.

What happens on your hunt when you're optic loses zero and you make a poor shot on a buffalo?? You bet your entire hunt on your optic and rifle, this isn't where you try and save a couple hundred dollars.

I highly recommend this for a low power variable, it's currently on sale. It has great glass and the illumination is extremely bright(Aimpoint bright if you're familiar). A reticle designed to draw your eye to the center in fast rapidly evolving situations. I have several of them and a couple are employed in professional use and get beat to shit and they never lose zero.

Attachments

I know it’s not on your list but look at Trijicon Accupoint LVPO’s. There’s a 1x4 on here for sale at a great price.

That’s a great price on a Steiner scope!

I don't understand the logic in trying to buy cheap optics when your traveling across the world to hunt dangerous game and paying alot of money to do it. You're optic shouldn't be where you want to save money. I def would not buy any Vortex or low end Leupold for that purpose, you're taking a gamble.

When it comes down to hitting exactly where you're aiming, being able to pick out game in thick brush possibly in lower light situations. Relying on your optic to keep zero when bouncing around a bakkie and being drug around on long tracking jobs. You need a high quality optic with the reputation to go with it.

What happens on your hunt when you're optic loses zero and you make a poor shot on a buffalo?? You bet your entire hunt on your optic and rifle, this isn't where you try and save a couple hundred dollars.

I highly recommend this for a low power variable, it's currently on sale. It has great glass and the illumination is extremely bright(Aimpoint bright if you're familiar). A reticle designed to draw your eye to the center in fast rapidly evolving situations. I have several of them and a couple are employed in professional use and get beat to shit and they never lose zero.

Totally agree with Wyfox. The optics should usually be about the same cost as the firearm.

I have a trijicon accupoint 2.5 x 12.5 x 42 on my .375 and I’ve been quite pleased with it. I find that I’m a little quicker getting on target with it compared to my other scopes.

I just retired ... again ... a "cheap" Weaver K3 I bought in 1972. That scope shot countless animals after going end over end down a mountain with me on a horse in 1981. It has dings and scratches pretty much end to end, including a chip out of the ocular lens, but it's never failed. I would have kept it on the 404 I built last year but not enough eye relief. It cut me the first shot at the range.

I'm not worried in the unlikely event this scope fails. As you can see, the rifle wears QD rings and good iron sights. I can kill a buff at fifty yards with either scope or irons. Anyway, the lodge will always have a rental available. I took the 404 to Montana for elk last year and that Bushnell scope survived some inclimate conditions in fine shape. No fogging. It works. Should I pay $2.5K for a scope that works or buy another kudu? Hmmm. Let me think about that a while. Okay. I know the answer. :D

Last edited:

I don’t know what gamble you are taking with a lower end Leupold. It holds zero the same as the higher end Leupold’s and is equally reliable and covered under the same warranty. The difference is only in glass quality. As far as low light, paying extra money for an extra 10 minutes is unnecessary in most circumstances. You typically lose the ability to judge horns before you lose the ability to shoot it through the scope. I’ve never had any Leupold fail me. I have however had a Swarovski and a Leica fail on rental rifles. A $200 Leupold would have reliably held zero in both situations. I do appreciate the better glass but I haven’t been in the hunting situation it’s necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidTaine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?