Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

It also has the pop up peep in the tang. Which you might be the best source of information on. How do you adjust the peep for windage? Mine is well off to one side to the point the peep is partially blocked by the ribs of the sight, and I don't want to force it.
That's a special rifle all the way around. One of the most unique, in a good way, MS's I've seen. Second inherited gun I've seen this week that I'm truly jealous of.

Gonna take it to Africa?
Thanks. It has been molested unfortunately, so it's not a collectible MS. It had been drilled and tapped on top for one of those scope base options mentioned in other threads. Those were permanently filled by the 'smith that my dad got it from, and a side mount installed, which I do have.
It could only get to Africa if Qual-Cart ever does another run of headstamped brass. Hopefully they do, sometime in my lifetime....

It also has the pop up peep in the tang. Which you might be the best source of information on. How do you adjust the peep for windage? Mine is well off to one side to the point the peep is partially blocked by the ribs of the sight, and I don't want to force it.

Thanks. It has been molested unfortunately, so it's not a collectible MS. It had been drilled and tapped on top for one of those scope base options mentioned in other threads. Those were permanently filled by the 'smith that my dad got it from, and a side mount installed, which I do have.
It could only get to Africa if Qual-Cart ever does another run of headstamped brass. Hopefully they do, sometime in my lifetime....

I was actually wondering if it had been drilled. I hate to see those holes on that beautiful receiver.

Bummer about the brass.

I’m pretty keen on my Charles Lancaster 375h&h.
cc76f0ed-a792-48e3-b69b-8e97dbf15c63.jpeg

Last edited:
It also has the pop up peep in the tang. How do you adjust the peep for windage?

I was unaware that Qual-Cart no longer had the headstamped MS brass. Glad I laid in a supply of 9.5X57 a few years back.

I've never adjusted my peep sight and unfortunately do not know of any 'trick' for windage movement. Perhaps remove it, anneal and very carefully bend to suit, then re harden?

I was unaware that Qual-Cart no longer had the headstamped MS brass. Glad I laid in a supply of 9.5X57 a few years back.

I've never adjusted my peep sight and unfortunately do not know of any 'trick' for windage movement. Perhaps remove it, anneal and very carefully bend to suit, then re harden?
Qual-Cart actually lists Gibbs 256 Magnum headstamped brass. Grafs even lists it. But the Qual-Cart site indicates they will make a run of all these obsolete cartridges when back-orders reach the magic number (magic number not listed, lol).
I will play (carefully) with the peep to see if I can get it shifted, thanks. Hoped there was a "trick" to it.

I got 3 hours sleep last night and wasn't thinking about what type of peep you were talking about. Very cool.

That knurled piece looks off center right? Is it made to move back and forth independently for windage? I would think it would be engineered to dial in easily enough. Is that piece with the peep hole dovetailed in? Some sort of special press or tool for adjustment? Lots of question marks I know.

I got 3 hours sleep last night and wasn't thinking about what type of peep you were talking about. Very cool.

That knurled piece looks off center right? Is it made to move back and forth independently for windage? I would think it would be engineered to dial in easily enough. Is that piece with the peep hole dovetailed in? Some sort of special press or tool for adjustment? Lots of question marks I know.
Yes, that knurled tab is at the end of a thin bar dovetailed into the peep itself. It's probably just age (rifle hasn't been shot since the early 70s to my knowledge), and might just need a little Kroil or other oil to allow the 2 to slide again.

I have never seen an tang mounted peep like that one.
I assume you have to put the peep down before working the bolt? Is it made for the bolt to push it down.
It looks to be the best way to have a tang mounted peep.
Bolt pushes the peep down when ejecting a spent round, then the spring returns it to vertical as the bolt closes. They are also less obtrusive than a Lyman peep when not in use. Very slick design.

I have never seen an tang mounted peep like that one.
I assume you have to put the peep down before working the bolt? Is it made for the bolt to push it down.
It looks to be the best way to have a tang mounted peep.

Folding tang sights of that type were offered on high end European sporting rifles of the early 20th Century, before telescopic sights came into popular use.

Sight may be left up as the bolt is worked. As bolt is drawn back it pushes the sight down, sight returns to upward position when bolt is driven forward. Operation is very smooth. To lock sight down (retracted) simply push into its machined housing to engage catch. To release, push small knurled button to right of sight and it pops up.

Westley Richards used them, Stoeger listed them as 'cost options' that could be ordered on Mauser and Mannlicher Schoenauer offerings.

Stoeger's 1939 catalog refers to the option as 'Special folding peep sight'. It is generally seen on Take Down Models such as Woodcarver's and my own cased M1910 (9.5X57) TD.

Stoeger, 1939:

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer Options.jpg

MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 06.jpg

Mauser Peep Stoeger 1939.jpg

Lyman tang and bolt mounted peeps:

MS Lyman Sights.jpg

Westley Richards, 1912:

MS Folding Peep Westley Ricgards 1912 01.jpg
MS Folding Peep Westley Ricgards 1912 02.jpg

MS Folding Peep Westley Ricgards 1912 03.jpg

Photos of MS 'special folding peep sight':

MS Peep.jpg

MS Folding Peep 02.jpg

MS Folding Peep 03.jpg

MS Folding Peep 04.jpg

MS Folding Peep 05.jpg

MS Folding Peep 06.jpg

MS Folding Peep 07.jpg

MS Folding Peep 08.jpg

MS Folding Peep 09.jpg

MS Takedown Peep Sight 02.jpg

MS Tanf Sight M1910 02.jpg

MS Takedown Peep Sight 01.jpg

MS Tang Sight on M1924.jpg

MS Tang Sight up.jpg

MS Tang Sight.jpg

Qual-Cart actually lists Gibbs 256 Magnum headstamped brass. Grafs even lists it. But the Qual-Cart site indicates they will make a run of all these obsolete cartridges when back-orders reach the magic number (magic number not listed, lol).
I will play (carefully) with the peep to see if I can get it shifted, thanks. Hoped there was a "trick" to it.

Given a few moments thought, if the sight were to be 'bent' out of adjustment it wouldn't likely fit well into its housing. I'm thinking the part which actually has the aperture should be (very carefully) drifted in its dovetail joint.

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Epic looking rifle.
Fabulous cartridge in fabulous rifles . I have 2 . The older has extended magazine and takedown mechanism . It was made in 1913 . Similar to the older one show in the photos . It has 5 changes in barrel profile and filed grooves the full length of barrel to reduce glare . 26 inch barrels . Unbelievable workmanship. The newer was made in 1957. It has a flush magazine and is scoped - never fired before I got it in 2012. Both best grade rifles . Superb firearms .
I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Epic looking rifle.

For my 2 bobs worth the nicest rifles I have ever seen were made by Daniel Fraser in Edinburgh . I can’t split it between two 303s. One is a slant box Mauser take down with a little Celtic engraving . The second 303 is a double rifle again with minimal Celtic engraving . The third is a huge Fraser 577 NE . Again with minimal engraving . I have rifles from all the big names but these three are breathtaking and all here in OZ.

Given a few moments thought, if the sight were to be 'bent' out of adjustment it wouldn't likely fit well into its housing. I'm thinking the part which actually has the aperture should be (very carefully) drifted in its dovetail joint.
Yes, the sight is not bent; fits in it's housing and releases very smoothly. It looked to me that it's designed to drift in the dovetail, just needs a little more persuasion than I've been willing so far. I'll let the oil work on it for a bit first.

I'll wager getting one today would be a tad more than $12, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acetylcholine

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with