Which one should be my third rifle and why...

Really good suggestions so far. I recommend venerable 300 H&H. You can buy some factory rounds. With a 30 cal your reloading options are vast. Brings a little class to any hunting camp you visit.

300PRC is going to be my next new rifle. Everybody is chambering for that cartridge now, that would be my pick. Based on what you have a .30 cal for sure.

I got talked into a 300 prc… I really wasn’t interested in another 300 magnum… I’ve been shooting a 300 H&H for some time and it never let me down…

I’ve gotta say though… I’m only about 120 rounds into the PRC so far… but I have zero regrets… tiny little groups from a rifle shooting heavier bullets than my H&H would shoot and at faster speeds…

I got talked into a 300 prc… I really wasn’t interested in another 300 magnum… I’ve been shooting a 300 H&H for some time and it never let me down…

I’ve gotta say though… I’m only about 120 rounds into the PRC so far… but I have zero regrets… tiny little groups from a rifle shooting heavier bullets than my H&H would shoot and at faster speeds…
I recently converted my 7MM Mag to 7MM PRC, put a Lilja barrel on it and it shoots 0.2 MOA at 300 yards with 175gr factory ammo. I love 7MM calibers for small to medium game. If you want a bit more punch I would go with 300 Win or 300 PRC

Since you have a Big Bore and a Medium Bore in classic cartridges I would suggest a third in another classic like 7x57 or 300 H&H.
That would be a really cool classic trio for Safari!

As some of you know I have a Krieghoff 470 and a Sauer 404 9.3X62. I'm contemplating my third and tilting toward something of a lighter calibre. With a plethora of options 300, 308, 275 and 30.06 etc I'm unsure. Banking on your esteem knowledge to help me decide.

For what use?

As I see it you've got a DR to which you can add another set of barrels if need be, you've got a switch calibre bolt action to which you can add another barrel if need be, so what you truly NEED is a single shot rifle. Perfect platform for something lighter, say 7x57R or 7x65R, but the choice of chamberings available is fairly large.

If your looking for something a little more "modern" the 280AI has alot going for it
This is a curious thread, SStomcat has started big and is going small. Most people do the opposite.
First centre fire I bought with my money was a 22Hornet. Then I bought a 6mmRemington that had the barrel shot out. It was on a M17 action and I rebarreled it in 280AI. That was in 1990, 34 years ago, so I chuckle a bit with the reference that 280AI is "more modern". My 3rd rifle was a 45/70 built on a Martini Enfield.
Love the 280AI - it gets my vote.

7x 57, 308, 30-06 or 300 win mag. All will be suitable for everything up to elam
No where you will use your 9,3 mm. All are excellent hunting calibres.

This is a curious thread, SStomcat has started big and is going small. Most people do the opposite.
First centre fire I bought with my money was a 22Hornet. Then I bought a 6mmRemington that had the barrel shot out. It was on a M17 action and I rebarreled it in 280AI. That was in 1990, 34 years ago, so I chuckle a bit with the reference that 280AI is "more modern". My 3rd rifle was a 45/70 built on a Martini Enfield.
Yeah I get what you’re saying….
The .270 been around as commercial cartridge since the 1920’s… The 280AI wasn’t “standardized” until about 2008 even though PO had developed it long before that….
If I didn’t already have a 270, I would have a 280ai…..

7x 57, 308, 30-06 or 300 win mag. All will be suitable for everything up to elam
No where you will use your 9,3 mm. All are excellent hunting calibres.
The goal is to have something light to use on small to med size animals. For Eland I'd prefer to use 9.3.

I hear you, started with a big bore of my own but have used a British Paradox gun before that belonged to my grandpa. Always had a fascination for big bore. now trying to find an excuse for a third rifle :)

7x57, 7x64 or 30 06

As some of you know I have a Krieghoff 470 and a Sauer 404 9.3X62. I'm contemplating my third and tilting toward something of a lighter calibre. With a plethora of options 300, 308, 275 and 30.06 etc I'm unsure. Banking on your esteem knowledge to help me decide.
I've been using a .300 Win Mag a lot lately including on my last safari for PG. Very effective caliber and I don't think anything else would suit me better.

Now for wet and rugged country I use a Remington Model 7 in 7-08, synthetic and SS. Very rugged, light and handy. About the same as .275 (7x57) but not designed for the heavy bullets. Not one I take to Africa.

I've taken more deer and pronghorns with a 7mm Rem Mag than anything else. Very good at longer ranges.

I've also taken many animals with a .30-06. Good general use caliber that I've taken many deer and PG. I just don't think it equals the .300 Win Mag.

Something you can find ammo for at most stores.

7x57/275 Rigby. No recoil to speak of. 175 grain round nose was instant death on waterbuck, kudu, steenbok, impala, duiker and blesbok. 100 to 300 yards. Also killed a camel thorn tree that I could not see a branch of on a waterbuck.
I second this caliber choice. Much less recoil than the 300 Win Mag, it's a classic cartridge, and was an absolute hammer on impala, warthog, gemsbok, and crocodile.

If you're going to use 2 bigger bore rifles, why not add a .308? I have used my .308 on several Africa safaris, with the right ammo it is a formidable set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrystynaBl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]