Which one should be my third rifle and why...

SStomcat

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
As some of you know I have a Krieghoff 470 and a Sauer 404 9.3X62. I'm contemplating my third and tilting toward something of a lighter calibre. With a plethora of options 300, 308, 275 and 30.06 etc I'm unsure. Banking on your esteem knowledge to help me decide.

Seems to me there's always a spectrum of what people like.

Practical for variety of game, ubiquitous availability, and broad knowledgebase cartridges on one side.
Quirky, hand load with custom dies and possibly extinct or wildcat but strong historical or personal sentiment cartridges on the other.

Determine where you land and put that against what's available in your type of weapon.

30-06 or 300 win mag. Which ever you find a nice rifle you like

I love both of those calibers very much. So versatile.

300 yards is just aim high shoulder and let her rip.

I was going to say get a .338 Winchester and don’t look back, BUT since you already have a 9.3 that doesn’t make sense. My .02 worth is get a 30-06 or 7x57 or 270 and call it good.

I think the only way to answer this with any kind of degree of accuracy is what are you planning on hunting with it.

Before I answer are you a reloader?

As some of you know I have a Krieghoff 470 and a Sauer 404 9.3X62. I'm contemplating my third and tilting toward something of a lighter calibre. With a plethora of options 300, 308, 275 and 30.06 etc I'm unsure. Banking on your esteem knowledge to help me decide.
.300 Win or others would be my choice because of the versatility.

300PRC is going to be my next new rifle. Everybody is chambering for that cartridge now, that would be my pick. Based on what you have a .30 cal for sure.

7x57/275 Rigby. No recoil to speak of. 175 grain round nose was instant death on waterbuck, kudu, steenbok, impala, duiker and blesbok. 100 to 300 yards. Also killed a camel thorn tree that I could not see a branch of on a waterbuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmed7069

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]