Which camera should I take to RSA and what to do with it during the hunt?

I really enjoy the photography side of my trips and like to have a proper camera with me. I use a Fuji XT2 (XT5 is the current version) which is a compact interchangeable lens mirrorless camera. The XT cameras and X series WR lenses that are weather-resistant and built for hard use (not waterproof). Not too big with a 16-80mm lens. I carry it in a small Camelback pack made for mountain biking.

I take a cannon with a 75-300mm lens. I keep it in a backpack in its case and most of the game and scenery pictures are taken from the truck and grip and grins are taken with a cell phone. That’s in South Africa but when in Mozambique where we would park the truck and hunt all day on foot the 2nd tracker would carry my backpack with anything else I may need during the day.
I carry only a 17mm-400mm lens and a Nikon D850 which will cover anything. I leave it on the vehicle and shoot from the vehicle but don't carry when I am on foot. I use my phone to take pictures when on foot. Great shooting! I have 1000 of pictures from hunts/safaris/site seeing in Africa. I sometimes take astrophotography equipment and shoot at night.

Of course carrying the camera set plus binos plus rifle would be quite uncomfortable.

Consider something like this to carry binocular and camera. It will allow you to have both hands and one shoulder free to shoot your rifle:

I would recommend carrying one lens only and avoid lens changes in the field, in order not to get dust on the sensor or inside the lens. I would choose a zoom lens with a focallength range from moderate wideangle to modest telephoto, because you can crop a lot and still retain 4K resolution, but you can never add what was not included in the picture int he first place. Such a lens will also be relatively small and lightweight.

I would always encourage those who have good equipment to bring it. It will likely stay on the truck.
For most of us the new iPhones are so good we have stopped bringing any other cameras
Yes, phones are great for regular photography but fail miserably at telephoto or low light and that's why despite being less convenient, there is still a market for proper camera gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HAHNKIARA77

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?