Which camera should I take to RSA and what to do with it during the hunt?

FlowHamed18

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi

I am leaving for RSA on Monday and I would like to ask all of you experienced hunters how you manage the whole camera thing during the hunt itself.

I would like to bring my Nikkon Z50 including a 16-50 and 50-250 lens. I love the camera and the pictures are great.

Of course carrying the camera set plus binos plus rifle would be quite uncomfortable.

How did you solve this kind of situation during your hunts?

Thank you in advance

Todays cell phones offer a lot, just lacking in telephoto.

Lon

As Lon says, camera phone works well for trophy pics etc. If you're wanting scenery and zoom then I would go for a bridge camera. Something like the Nikon P600 I had. Great zoom, video and all the functions.

I would advise against the DSLR as you usually have the wrong lens on when you need it. Plus the dust factor of continual lens change out in the field. Furthermore, the DSLR and lenses are very bulky!

The Z50 obviously knocks spots off my old Canon 450D but at the time the old P100 (older version of the P600) knocked the spots and stripes off the 450D when we spent a week in the Kruger.

If the P600 is still too bulky then go for something like the Canon AS3400/3500 I think it is... Has optical as well as digital zoom and continuous video capture all in a neat flat package.

The bridge camera can be carried in a pouch on your belt in the kidney area and the AS3400 in any pocket that is comfortable. I'd suggest the pocket version and save the P600/Z50 for game drives and at the lodge etc etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaraAmies

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe