Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
IMG_4987.jpeg

Yellow. I’ll always remember what my white hunter, Mr. Cheffings told me when I hunted my first Cape buffalo in Kenya in 1974.

“For a broadside shot… select a fore leg and go up vertically until you’ve lined your rifle sights roughly midway”.
IMG_1794.jpeg

Yellow with second quick shot into the hip or pelvis on his exit! Again a double is king at that and a bolt will be lucky to get the second shot when you are within 30 yards or closer which is ideal! “When you can smell his breath it’s time to kill him and life doesn’t get better than that!”

Yellow is the best and I might even cheat a little more right to split the difference between front legs...1/3 to 1/2 way up.

I shot my bull in the area of the green dot. He ran about 70 yards and fell over stone dead.

Yellow

Bring enough gun, square between the eyes or up the nose. 409 Cheytac or 20 bmg should do it.
375 H&H will do it. I know I just did it 2 weeks ago. He dropped like a car had been dropped from a crane.

This is a loaded question because at what distance are we talking? I've killed 2 buffaloes, the one I shot last week was 44 inches. In 2021 I shot that buffalo in the neck at 40 yards. It knocked him down, he ran 25 yards fell & I used a follow up shot.

2 weeks ago we tracked a buffalo up a still hill on a game trail through a thicket in Zambia. We thought he was well ahead of us after we got off the truck. He wasn't! He was a lone big old buffalo by himself. He didn't go far after disappearing in the bush. He was sitting facing forward towards us after about tracking 300 yards in. He was sitting atop a slope alone. Stepping on the dry leaves my ph was trying to find him, the tracker was frantic telling us he's right there he's right there! I couldn't see him the PH couldn't see him. The tracker is going crazy poiting. Then this huge black mass moved & I could see through the tall grass & brush he stood up and looked at everyone. I mean he looked pissed. My PH whispered to me, you have to make this shot, it has to be in the head. Can you make this shot? I whispered back, yes I have to. He said yes because he's going to charge any second if you shoot him front on. I couldn't anyway because the grass and brush were that high. I could just see his horns eyes & face, barely the neck. I put the rifle on the shooting sticks. My scope was already turned down to 2.5 power. I put the cross hairs right between the eyes just below the horns. As I did that I heard a loud snort. My PH said again you've got to make this shot are you steady. I didn't say anything I just squeezed off, boom. He fell like 2 tons of bricks. I expressed to my PH, "nobody is going to believe this". He said, "I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't here."

My 2 buffaloes were shot with the same gun 375 H&H Swift 300 grain Aframes. One in the neck the other directly between the eyes. Both killed I would say fairly easily.
1720799907691.png
1720799853326.png

Last edited:
Between yellow and red but just a bit more forward. He’s quartering to you a little. You will take out a lung and heart and at least one leg. No charge from him that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HayleyGair

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.