poco

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
Buddy and I agreed on rsa 7 -10 day plains game with a few additional animals for him buffalo & hippo
his wife now wants to go and repeat a free range tent camp in unfenced area or larger concession
me I never been and want a plains game, kudos, zebra, impala, ect, with a cow buffalo add on , but with decent lodging

where do I round up a safari That can make everyone happy?

I guess I will start looking here and Dallas SCI convention in January

didn’t know his wife was going to monkey with my OIL Africa hunt and would prefer only he and I on the hunt

my budget is total $10-12000
theirs $20,000 PP

Last edited:
Tough one, but you can go it alone. Not an easy answer but if you go on the other trip and don’t enjoy it, remember you asked for that. Your money make your on path. There is an old thread on here about going alone or with others. May want to look that one up.

I guess you could arrange for someone to pitch a tent in front of the lodge to keep her happy! Go to the BVC with John Sharp and Dave Langerman, the whole experience is worth every dime. Set up a management buff hunt for yourself and some plains game. You should be close to your budget.

You can start here. Shoot them a PM

You might want to reach out to Crusader Safaris if you're set on South Africa. They've got a bunch of free range places there as well as Mozambique.

You could also find something in Zimbabwe. There are more than a few PH's who do Tent Camps and would do a buffalo for him and get you on PG. Several might even offer you a management buffalo or something. Reach out to Zane Bronkhorst and see what he's got.

Check out Ken Moody Safaris. They can cover all those bases very well.

As you have it written, there really isn’t. She is describing a hunt in a concession area outside South Africa and you are describing a South African ranch hunt. There are areas in Zimbabwe that would meet their description and yours with cow buffalo, but you might be disappointed in the amount of plains game you would see. Take off cow buffalo and there was a really good plains game offer posted for Caprivi here recently, but trophy buffalo/hippo combo would be more than $20k. Mozambique could offer buffalo/hippo for them and good plains game for you but your budget is on low end. If this is going to turn into your buddy’s wife’s hunt maybe you should just consider going alone or reevaluate what your goals for hunt are.

This was offer I referenced for Caprivi

Last edited:
Go it alone. Unfortunately Ive always been disappointed when traveling with buddies - unless you are extremely easygoing. Expectations are different. Throw in a spouse and you’ll be the low man on the totem pole.

Agree going alone or maybe find a kindred soul at DSC show. You'll be the odd man out otherwise. Also would go to RSA for plains game and the cow buffalo. 10k is a lot of money to spend and not be satisfied.

Go it alone. Unfortunately Ive always been disappointed when traveling with buddies - unless you are extremely easygoing. Expectations are different. Throw in a spouse and you’ll be the low man on the totem pole.
I might just have to follow advice and go with a different approach
my uncle Hank wants to go with me and be a observer/ videoographer that could be a good opportunity

staying open minded and open to suggestions 2024 is awhile away

Last edited:
I have been lucky enough to go once, and I have to say I was very lucky my wife wanted to go. While she is a non hunter, she knew she would see more critters tagging along with us than just lounging, and she had a great time (we did break it up....10 days mixed with non hunting vs hunting activities).
Do you have a wife who would be interested? Someone elses wife? (JOKING).
I certainly enjoyed it more with her along than if I went alone.
Dont be in a rush to pick an outfit. Make sure you and your buddy discuss the type of hunting you want to do and expectations. One expecting one thing, the other expceting something else will make for a very rotten trip. Two friends went to SA about ten years ago bow hunting. They sat in comfy elevated tree houses overlooking man made ponds, and saw gobs of game. One was very happy, the other disgusted.
Make sure you two agee on how you want to hunt....shared guide, one on one, observers,....etc. I was happy for my wife to tag along whenever possible (but never on a final approach), but four people is a bit of a crowd...especially when you add the tracker and pro hunter. You would likely want to be sure to have one on one pro hunters, and separate areas to hunt.
References. Ask for early, get alot, and call /contact alot of them and TALK with them, not just going on a forums informal recommendation.

Tough one, but you can go it alone. Not an easy answer but if you go on the other trip and don’t enjoy it, remember you asked for that. Your money make your on path. There is an old thread on here about going alone or with others. May want to look that one up.
My first two safaris I went alone with no problems. A great outfitter makes you feel like family! It sounds like your friend and his wife now have a different vision than you which is fine…good for her she wants to join her husband. I would go on your own with the accommodations you want

I have put together a fair number of group trips, (Skiing, motorcycle tours, safari's) and getting the group dynamics right is the hardest part!!!!! have stories of perfect trips and the other kind.

You-your buddy-your buddy's wife, need to sit down and have a very frank discussion on what your requirements are, what you or they would be will to bend on etc. Plus you need to also look at how well do you get along with his wife. Is she a easy going lady that is comfortable to be around or do you just tolerate her for the sake of your buddy????

You are looking at a Nice lodge in south africa experience, and it sounds like she/your buddy want a tented hunt outside of south africa.

Are they hunting together in a 2x1 or do they expect to each hunt with their own PH 1x1?

If you are good with hunting 1x1 with your PH while they do their thing and meet back up at night around the fire it could work depending on your group dynamics.

The 3 of you hunting together is a recipe for a horrible experience!!!!

Sit down and have a hard discussion and then put out a looking for hunt with your requirements listed for the outfitters here on AH to respond to. If you can't come to an agreement with your friends walk away and each do a separate safari so you are still friends.

Like others have said. I would split off and go it alone. Find the right PH and Outfitter that fits what you are wanting to hunt and do. You will be odd person out if you go along with them and not enjoy as you should. I prefer to go it alone most of the time and choose an outfit where I am usually the only person in camp and no one else to ruin my hunt. It is your hunt, don't give in and let others spoil it

Buddy and I agreed on rsa 7 -10 day plains game with a few additional animals for him buffalo & hippo
his wife now wants to go and repeat a free range tent camp in unfenced area or larger concession
me I never been and want a plains game, kudos, zebra, impala, ect, with a cow buffalo add on , but with decent lodging

didn’t know his wife was going to monkey with my OIL Africa hunt and would prefer only he and I on the hunt

theirs $20,000 PP

You and they should not be hunting together.

Good lodging = RSA plains game hunt.

Fly Camp with DG @$20k a person = non-existent, but *maybe* with 2-3 people you could get there in Zimbabwe.

The experiences are vastly different. Your 7-10 duration is incompatible with the Fly Camp as well. It will take 6-8 days to set up and tear down that camp before and after the hunt. Getting to that camp will be 3-days into country and 2-days out of country. You're not travelling 5 days to stay 7 days. The Fly Camp operator isn't going to set up and tear down for 6-8 days for a 7 day plains game hunt.

Wild, non-fenced high quality hunting in Wilderness countries like Zim, Tanz, and Zam are not loaded with game. There is no time to enjoy a resort and that's why there isn't one. You'll eat well and pass out wearing your clothes and boots, exhausted, only to rinse-repeat the next day. And they'll charge you more for the experience of that then RSA 5-7 day plains game hunt with a 3-star resort and infinite amounts of high-fence managed game.

Your friends sound like cool people that I'd like to hang around, but you definitely should not hunt with them under any circumstances. What you want/expect and what they want/expect couldn't be farther apart on the spectrum of safari hunts.

You and they should not be hunting together.

Good lodging = RSA plains game hunt.

Fly Camp with DG @$20k a person = non-existent, but *maybe* with 2-3 people you could get there in Zimbabwe.

The experiences are vastly different. Your 7-10 duration is incompatible with the Fly Camp as well. It will take 6-8 days to set up and tear down that camp before and after the hunt. Getting to that camp will be 3-days into country and 2-days out of country. You're not travelling 5 days to stay 7 days. The Fly Camp operator isn't going to set up and tear down for 6-8 days for a 7 day plains game hunt.

Wild, non-fenced high quality hunting in Wilderness countries like Zim, Tanz, and Zam are not loaded with game. There is no time to enjoy a resort and that's why there isn't one. You'll eat well and pass out wearing your clothes and boots, exhausted, only to rinse-repeat the next day. And they'll charge you more for the experience of that then RSA 5-7 day plains game hunt with a 3-star resort and infinite amounts of high-fence managed game.

Your friends sound like cool people that I'd like to hang around, but you definitely should not hunt with them under any circumstances. What you want/expect and what they want/expect couldn't be farther apart on the spectrum of safari hunts.
I wouldn’t translate a tented camp as a fly camp. Semi-permanent tent camps are common. There will be a cement slab and permanent bathroom with a tent set up. This is what I stayed in in Zambia and Caprivi and NW Namibia too if I remember correctly.

theirs $20,000 PP
If you decide to go as a group, you will need to increase your budget for a free-range safari tented camp but it’s worth it in my opinion to see wild Africa. Also, there are several options in free-range areas with lots of plains game so don’t worry about that at all. There are some dangerous game areas in Zim without a lot of plains game but there are other areas in Zim and areas in several other countries with lots of DG and PG in the same area. It’s a fallacy that you have to go to South Africa to see a lot of plains game. Mokore Safaris in Zimbabwe and their Coutada 9 area in Mozambique would be perfect for all of you if you can increase your budget a bit. In Coutada 9, they have both safari tents with en-suite bathrooms and also chalets. Africa is very diverse and there’s lots of options so I disagree that you have to split up your group unless your budget cannot increase a bit. Send me a PM if you want more specific advice or info about particular areas. I’ve hunted PG in Zim, Moz, Tanzania, Zambia and Botswana.

If you decide to go as a group, you will need to increase your budget for a free-range safari tented camp but it’s worth it in my opinion to see wild Africa. Also, there are several options in free-range areas with lots of plains game so don’t worry about that at all. There are some dangerous game areas in Zim without a lot of plains game but there are other areas in Zim and areas in several other countries with lots of DG and PG in the same area. It’s a fallacy that you have to go to South Africa to see a lot of plains game. Mokore Safaris in Zimbabwe and their Coutada 9 area in Mozambique would be perfect for all of you if you can increase your budget a bit. In Coutada 9, they have both safari tents with en-suite bathrooms and also chalets. Africa is very diverse and there’s lots of options so I disagree that you have to split up your group unless your budget cannot increase a bit. Send me a PM if you want more specific advice or info about particular areas. I’ve hunted PG in Zim, Moz, Tanzania, Zambia and Botswana.

@Scott CWO I think we need to split hairs on "lots of game" as a definition. I'm a big fan of Zim and I've taken plenty of game there over a dozen plus safaris. I think I've travelled every State (or are they provinces?) in Zim except for the Eastern Highlands and many places have plenty of game by my standards and yours. But does any place in Zim have the density of unmanaged wildlife that can compare to what can be done in RSA or Texas? No way.

I say that not to try to spar with words, but only to set expectations for other readers. Places where Fly Camp safaris happen (predominantly, Zim, Zam, Tanz) are wonderful places and if you bust your butt, you're going to find nice trophy animals. You may have 6-8 trophies planned and if you were setting the standard of SCI Bronze or better, I suspect you'd get 80%+ of your wish-list. But what are the odds in RSA by comparison? You'd have seen dozens of SCI Golds in the same level of time and effort, plus the PH and operator probably have a rough count of the numbers and quality of each section of fenced areas because the game is non-migratory and actively monitored.

In large part I agree with rookhawk, for quantity and quality of plains game it’s hard to beat South Africa. However there are exceptions and two of them are Sengwa Research in Zimbabwe and Coutada 9 in Mozambique. Most places in SA have nothing on these two areas for either quantity or quality of game. And the experience is shoulders above MOST of SA. Both have Chalets or Tents and both have lion, elephant and buffalo. Even if you are not hunting DG it certainly adds to the experience and excitement of the hunt.
@S-3 Ranch , you might consider asking your friend and his wife to contact Mokore or Charlton McCallum and see if they can accommodate the 3 of you with a discounted rate for you. This is done all the time and many operators will make you a good deal. If it means just the friend and his wife coming, OR adding you on, they can add a PH for you with favorable day rates because it is just lost business if you don’t come along. I think you will find PG trophy fees are cheaper than SA or at least very competitive.
It really is worth looking into. I have hunted both of these areas with Mokore Safaris and they are fantastic! I would go in late August through the end of October, with mid-September be my first choice. Earlier than August is going to be thick vegetation and lots of water still, making hunting tougher. Later than September its going to be getting HOT! Even September can be pretty warm, but not too uncomfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShantellMc

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]