BourbonTrail

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA (AZ, KY, MO, NM, VA), RSA
The wife wants a short vacation to Europe this fall, and I got the green light to add on some hunting. Based on budget and schedule we decided on either Ireland and Scotland.

My question is: where should I go, and what should I target?

Dates are flexible, and I am focused on experience and a modest/representative trophy (I understand they are mostly culls)

Last edited:
There is nothing more classical, than a red stag stalking hunt in the Scottish Highlands.
Stalkers in tweed, Ghillie's with pony's, and at the end of a very harsh day in the Highlands a good 8 point stag in the salt.

But physically you had better be extra prepared. It has been much much more strenuous hunting in the Highlands than any African safari.

Most outfitters in Ireland would probably be fully booked already for this season. Choose carefully. You require a deer hunting licence and a firearms licence.
Regarding firearms, there are no “loaners” available. You must hold a licence for the firearm you use.

Most outfitters in Ireland would probably be fully booked already for this season. Choose carefully. You require a deer hunting licence and a firearms licence.
Regarding firearms, there are no “loaners” available. You must hold a licence for the firearm you use.
I figured as much. She is willing to punt to next year if I can’t go hunting.

Edit: Do I need to bring my own rifle, or can I still hire/rent a rifle? Traveling in Ireland with a rifle sounds like a pain.

Last edited:

Edit: Do I need to bring my own rifle, or can I still hire/rent a rifle? Traveling in Ireland with a rifle sounds like a pain.

I stalked in Ireland followed by a driving tour of the island. The outfitter hung onto my guns and met us at the Dublin airport with them prior to our departure. I have no idea of the current legality of this, but we did it and it worked.

Scotland red stags but all the 'big' 'proper' estates get booked out 12-24 months in advance. Youll find something but may have to be flexible and do a lot of research.

Would you consider stalking red hinds in the Scottish highlands? It is significantly(!) cheaper than the stags, and they will want you to shoot as many as possible. Sure, not the same as stags in the rut but you won’t find anwhere which still has space during the rut. You’ll still get the highland experience though, in the same setting but more shooting opportunities.

Also, you can borrow the estates rifle which you cannot do in Ireland.

We did Scotland stag last year. Was a beautiful environment and see all kinds of stags running around. I’m about certain my guide was trying to see how long, high, wet of a stalk he could make before I quit. We were wet from second we stepped out of Argo until we changed into new clothes back at skinning shed. For 4 days straight. Grounds like sponge full of water, it rained every single day, and we belly scrawled through sitting water repeatedly.

Was an awesome experience. Highly recommend. My wife may have different opinion

You don’t need to bring your own rifle. But of course we all like to hunt with our own rifles.
You simply need to get a nonresident firearms license. Your outfitter will get this done for you. You do have to sign it and have it witnessed. This would be the same process as if you are using a local firearm.
Emailed copies are acceptable.
We do have some great Sika deer.
IMG_0275.png

We used the outfitters rifles. Had sakos and Tikkas with quality glass on them so couldnt go wrong. After we walked through what we did, kind of happy we were using their equipment and made travel easy.

We never signed any rifle paperwork that i can recall. Unless we were supposed to, then yes we did...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fsdf5356

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe