Where to find eye glass paster "magic dot"

vandingmax724

Reaction score
It has recently been brought to my attention I need to cover my left eye while shooting . so I can properly line up the rib beads on the target. I've been told there is a product called "magic dot" that you adhere to the shooting glass lense effectively blocking the left eye. I have checked with several distributors such as Brownells with no luck. Does anyone know where I can find this product or a similar one? Thank you.

I found some by Googling "Shooters Magic Eye Dot System."

We use this a lot in shotgunning. What you are experiencing is cross firing. If you want to see if you really need it just use some black electrical tape on your glasses so you cannot see the front & rear sight with your left eye when mounted. If you want to still see through use the non permanent 3m scotch tape. It's a matte finish. So it's translucent may be better because you have better target awareness when hunting but does not let your left eye take over.

I shoot righty, but am strongly left eye dominant.

I use scotch tape cut to about the size of a nickel over left lens of shooting glasses for skeet, sporting clays, etc. It's advisable to have seperate glasses or extra lens. Takes some trial and error, but you need to block the sight down the rib when (duh) shooting both eyes open.

I *personally* would not do it on a DG rifle. (I've always squinted the left eye for rifle or pistol.) The reason is there have been a time or two shooting clays that I ONLY saw the tape on that left lens. A holy shit moment.

My wife is cross eye dominant. We use the round, plastic, clear, envelope sealers. This allows normal peripheral vision but forces the non dominant eye to "take over" allowing her to score with her shotgun

A trick you'll see some competitive shotgunners use is...

take a chapstick and smear the lens of left eye.. or put a small piece of translucent tape over the left eye... this will allow the shooter to gain the advantages of shooting with 2 eyes open (peripheral vision, more light gathering, etc), but forces further focus with the right eye on the bird (most instructors will tell you to have the clay in clear focus, not the bead)..

+1 for a piece of scotch tape on the lens of your shooting glasses.

For wingshooting or clays, it is important to fix this. I am right eye dominant and right-handed but must shoot my shotgun with left eye closed. It had multiple surgeries for retina detachments back in 2003-04 plus several laser patch ups over the next seven years. There is a silicon buckle around that eye to adjust it's shape during healing. Consequently, that eye now sees (very little) up and to the right, relative to good right eye (which also had laser patch jobs during same period). If I shoot at moving targets with both eyes open, I will miss up and to the right. Went through a couple years of frustration before I discovered the problem by mounting and firing quickly at a patterning board. I tried covering the lens of my glasses but that handicaps my ability to acquire the target quickly. And with my old man reflexes, I need to acquire as quickly as possible. I shot worse with a left eye blinder. But now my skeet and trap averages are solid 22.5 and I don't miss many birds. The fix was a LOT of practice every night in the living room mounting, shutting left eye, swinging, and pretend firing at a line where wall meet ceiling. Hundreds of repetitions every night has made closing that eye instinctive when I get on the gun. I practiced in poor light because that's when both eyes struggle to clarify the target. In bright light I've never had a problem with that eye. Scar tissue has left it quite light sensitive so as long as I'm not wearing sunglasses, it's usually squinted shut. The problem with bright days is the floaters in my good right eye are amplified. A normal person could maybe have them removed but the surgeons won't touch it. Leave well enough one.

I suggest the same remedy. It has worked well enough for me to be able to take animals quickly on the fly with my rifle. The below animals were dropped on the run. All but the buffalo fell on the spot. Shot through both lungs, he didn't go very far. I did shoot him again in the chest but it probably wasn't necessary. I missed a moving shot at Barbary sheep last year wrestling with quad sticks. Other than that, I can't remember when I last missed a running shot. Don't take them unless it's a perfect opportunity or necessity (i.e. nyala was hit low with first shot off the sticks).
20220827_125858.jpg

Buffalo2.JPG

20201129_110147.jpg

16 November 2019.JPG

2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg

Shot this gemsbuck in the heart incoming at a gallop at less than 20 yards and then again through the heart as it ran by at twelve yards.

Last edited:
My vision is also cross dominate and use a "magic dot" or in my case a piece of opaque scotch tape about the size of a finger nail on my shooting glasses. These glasses I use when shotgunning whether clay targets or in the field. I also use them with my rifles, shooting irons or a scope. Being able to shoot with both eyes open or with Binocular vision gives you so much more information than with Monocuar visioin or one eye closed.. The dot is small enough that you soon forget it is there and only comes into play when your head is on the stock ... attached is an old pair of shooting glasses, this pair made two trips to Africa shooting my double with Iron sights at DG. finding the right place for the dot is easy .... a favorite shot gun a good friend and a tube of chap stick will get you started.. Making sure the gun is unloaded ... with your shooting glasses on shoulder the gun with both eyes open pointing the gun at your good friend's eyes have him slide down the barrel and with the chap stick mark the glass to cover the Pupil of your non dominate eye. When you next mount the gun with both eyes open your non dominate eye will be block, to finish the process cut out a piece of scotch tape and place on inside of the lens under the blob of chap stick

IMG_0240.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm going to need to do more homework. I'm right handed right eye dominant. Left eye is definitely better than my right. I shoot my 22 with a 32X power scope with both eyes open. It is something I need to try, my clay shooting is lacking.

Now I'm going to need to do more homework. I'm right handed right eye dominant. Left eye is definitely better than my right. I shoot my 22 with a 32X power scope with both eyes open. It is something I need to try, my clay shooting is lacking.
Check your shotgun's fit at the patterning board. Go with both eyes open for now. At sixteen yards, bring the gun to your shoulder and fire at the bull quickly, all in one movement like you would if shooting at a flushed pheasant. Don't aim the gun. Put your eyes on the bull and never look at the gun or barrel. Where the pattern hits will tell you how the gun fits. Incidentally, aiming the shotgun is where most new (and many old) clay shooters go wrong. It's why I prefer to shoot skeet low gun (at my waist instead of on the shoulder when target is pulled). 1) I can see the target better; 2) less opportunity to overthink the shot; 3) which means less likely to look at the barrel or aim the shotgun. Hope that helps. Sorry for the derailment.

Image1683156249.735070.jpg

Was in the Briley shop in Houston today.. they have these available…

Ha. I'm tempted to buy a set and I having shot skeet or sporting clays in several years - thanks to safari fever. :)

Match the color to your shooting glasses. (Decot.com Lite Medium Rose for me.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan6696535

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia