Where do you stop with your /06

JMO&E, but eland are huge. I took mine with a quartering facing shot. Either the shot has to be very close to perfect, or make it a side shot. They have huge hard bone structure that even large calibers can glance off. At the price of drawing blood and failing to find an animal, I prefer the old saying “bigger is better”.
That said, I have no doubt that using a premium bullet in the old 30-06 and putting it in the right place will put any animal on earth down. But I just prefer the 375 H&H for all my Africa tasks, thus that’s all I take.

Recently returned from a PG hunt and took everything from warthog up to kudu with a .30-06 and 180gr Nosler Partitions. The only one that ran any distance was a gemsbok, and that was the result of shot placement rather than bullet performance. (Sort of wish that the kudu had run a little bit; would have made it easier to carry out!) Everything else was pretty much DRT. The only recovered bullet was from the kudu (shot at ~220yds IIRC) and it was on the far side just under the skin. Everything else was pass-through.

PH told me that this combination would be adequate for eland, but had neither the opportunity nor the desire to confirm or deny.

I stopped my 30-06 as a 308 Norma Mag. I had it re-chambered and it shoots sub moa with 180 Nosler partitions.
I used my outfitter’s 30-06 in Africa to take a duiker, 2 warthogs, 3 Impala and a Zebra. The ammo was Sellier and Bellot 180SP. I think the sp stands for “shit projectile”. Recovered the slugs from the warthogs and the zebra.
I used my PH’s 458Lott for my Wildebeest.

I would be confident using a .30-06 for hunting any of the common plains game species with the exception of eland and giraffe. I cleanly killed Zebra, Kudu, Oryx, etc. with a .30-06, no problems at all. I had an unfortunate experience with an eland that required 5 shots after the first one only hit part of one lung. And in my opinion a giraffe is just too big and the skin is too thick to ask that much from a .30-06. Others have successfully used a 30-06 for both, and not had problems, but that's my advice.

I just purchased a Sako 85 Arctos in 30/06. I love the old /06 and thought it would be great to take on my safari as my PG gun. I'm taking. 458 Lott or 460Wby for the big stuff. I had planned to take my 375 for the PG then I saw this rifle and I just couldn't help myself. Perfect package with micrometer aperture sight and a 3.5-10x42 Swaro in QD rings, plus beautiful wood and all that.
My question is where do you cut it off on PG with the 30/06. I hand load and I can make use of all the projectiles available out there. The largest thing I think I'll be hunting other than the DG stuff is probably Kudu and Zebra, absolute worst case maybe an eland. We are hunting the Save valley and I believe most of the shots will be well under 200yds and I plan to hunt with Iron sights so likely 100yds. I know the 30/06 has killed tons of Bear and Elk here at home so I think it is sufficient for the PG I'll be encountering, am I overlooking anything?
Being a handloader you are spoilt for choice and can get the max out of the calibre. the 165gr & 200gr from a 24" barrel is what I hope to take to SA to cover PG.

I just purchased a Sako 85 Arctos in 30/06. I love the old /06 and thought it would be great to take on my safari as my PG gun. I'm taking. 458 Lott or 460Wby for the big stuff. I had planned to take my 375 for the PG then I saw this rifle and I just couldn't help myself. Perfect package with micrometer aperture sight and a 3.5-10x42 Swaro in QD rings, plus beautiful wood and all that.
My question is where do you cut it off on PG with the 30/06. I hand load and I can make use of all the projectiles available out there. The largest thing I think I'll be hunting other than the DG stuff is probably Kudu and Zebra, absolute worst case maybe an eland. We are hunting the Save valley and I believe most of the shots will be well under 200yds and I plan to hunt with Iron sights so likely 100yds. I know the 30/06 has killed tons of Bear and Elk here at home so I think it is sufficient for the PG I'll be encountering, am I overlooking anything?
Having hunted or been present for 18 species of PG and over 30 head total from giraffe to steenbok taken with either a 7mm RM, .270 win or 6.5CM, I’m sure the .30-06 will do all of that with good shot placement. I don’t think you are overlooking anything.

I’m wonder what others think about starting your Safari with your big DG gun for PG so you get a shot or two out of the barrel and help build confidence? I’m curious about what those with much more experience than I do when starting a mixed DG/PG hunt? @Red Leg @Tanks @Philip Glass @Pondoro

Having hunted or been present for 18 species of PG and over 30 head total from giraffe to steenbok taken with either a 7mm RM, .270 win or 6.5CM, I’m sure the .30-06 will do all of that with good shot placement. I don’t think you are overlooking anything.

I’m wonder what others think about starting your Safari with your big DG gun for PG so you get a shot or two out of the barrel and help build confidence? I’m curious about what those with much more experience than I do when starting a mixed DG/PG hunt? @Red Leg @Tanks @Philip Glass @Pondoro
I have used a .375 on all my buffalo. With a trajectory like an ‘06 it also makes a superb PG choice, eliminating the need to bring a second rifle.

I like that idea and I would say that I might just take a couple PG with the big gun just to get a little confidence. I have been planning on deer hunting with it here at home this year. I killed a deer with my 375 last year. I will hunt with the 458 or 460 this year

Nothing wrong in this thread from my point of view. I shot all my plainsgame
either with a custom made .300 Mag or a 9,3x 64 from the same gunsmith.
But apart from all these technicalities don't forget the main rule: it is not so important,
with what you hit it, but where....
Good hunting!

‘06 is a great cartridge for sure. One of my hunters on my recent group hunt shot 180g Barnes from his and did very well since he can dial for distance.
If a guy is really going to hunt Africa often my advice is to hunt with the .375 as much as possible. Once you have done this and see that you can manage this big gun and that it is rarely too much gun in Africa you will begin to see what I am talking about. Also if you are in a DG area do you really want an ‘06 in your hand?
Getting good with a .375 and hunting often with it just feels good! Try it and see if I am right.
Regards,
Philip

Can't argue with you Phillip. The .375 is the 30.06 on lots of steriods (for lack of a better analogy). If I had to have a one stop gun for a PG and DG hunt then it's the way to go.

If I was only after PG I'd happily take a 30.06 with premium bullets and within 200-300m.

As for giraffe I have to admit that that it has never been on my mind so can't really comment. Suffice to say it's BIG and it has a a very tough skin. Maybe I'd do it within 150m with 200gn - 220gn but I'm really just guessing as I've never thought about it.

That is a good point about having a 30/06 in your hand in DG country. I know I have PH with me but I have never been one to just solely place my safety in someone else's hands. I do have a CZ 375 that shoots really well and I like it quite a lot. I really want to shoot the big stuff with my 458 but we will see. I still have lots of practicing and testing to do before I make a final decision on what rifle or combination of rifles I'm going to carry

That is a good point about having a 30/06 in your hand in DG country. I know I have PH with me but I have never been one to just solely place my safety in someone else's hands. I do have a CZ 375 that shoots really well and I like it quite a lot. I really want to shoot the big stuff with my 458 but we will see. I still have lots of practicing and testing to do before I make a final decision on what rifle or combination of rifles I'm going to carry
Talk to @michael458 he's got a solid load for just about everything and with the CEB solids, I'm not sure the .30-06 is just an aught-six any more.

You could always take a bigger rifle, but sometimes you can just load it bigger. You can still save your skin with an '06. Make your hits and maintain base of fire. :A Outta: :W Machine Guns:

Where do I stop with my .30-06? Where the law requires it or the shots get over 300 yards. I feel like the 300 WM is a better cartridge at that point, but if I didn't have one, I'd be ok. If things are heavy and want to hunt back then you could take a bigger rifle, but it's not like you're carrying a 2-4-3 and expecting an attack of the killer toe-mah-toes. The .30-06 is not a mother may I caliber it's a bring it on you mother-lover caliber. Men have roamed continents armed with the .30-06 killing "the most dangerous game" with it. There's no reason a man who is proficient with a .30-06 should fear anything. When it gets close enough to hurt you, the '06 will hurt it first and worst.

Last edited:
I have used a .375 on all my buffalo. With a trajectory like an ‘06 it also makes a superb PG choice, eliminating the need to bring a second rifle.
@Red Leg
That's what you want, one rifle most bases covered.
Simples.
Bob

Talk to @michael458 he's got a solid load for just about everything and with the CEB solids, I'm not sure the .30-06 is just an aught-six any more.

You could always take a bigger rifle, but sometimes you can just load it bigger. You can still save your skin with an '06. Make your hits and maintain base of fire. :A Outta: :W Machine Guns:

Where do I stop with my .30-06? Where the law requires it or the shots get over 300 yards. I feel like the 300 WM is a better cartridge at that point, but if I didn't have one, I'd be ok. If things are heavy and want to hunt back then you could take a bigger rifle, but it's not like you're carrying a 2-4-3 and expecting an attack of the killer toe-mah-toes. The .30-06 is not a mother may I caliber it's a bring it on you mother-lover caliber. Men have roamed continents armed with the .30-06 killing "the most dangerous game" with it. There's no reason a man who is proficient with a .30-06 should fear anything. When it gets close enough to hurt you, the '06 will hurt it first and worst.
@Forrest Halley
I wouldn't even use that pissant 2-4-3 on an attacking killer tomato. The tomato would make sauce out of you first.
Bob

I used mine all the way up to Eland. Would have liked a little more for the Eland than the 168gr, given the distance & the shot/situation. However, it worked.

I don't own a 30/06, but have multiple 308 Winchesters in different configurations. In my 308s I do have a load for a 130 gr CEB #13 Solid that is superb, and has POI with my standard Raptor loads. Very much serves any purpose I would have with 308.......

There are all sorts of reasons to have a good Solid in your tool box, and no reason not to.

CEB makes two extreme solids, a 180 and 210. A Load would not be too difficult to come up with and these would penetrate with extreme prejudice I am sure.

180 CEB .308 solid
dgsc_c180-X3.jpg

210 CEB .308 Solid.......

dgsc_c210_1-X3.jpg

I have not tested either of those, since I have not really had a need to personally....... But have no doubt of what they are capable of........

A few years ago, when my friend John still owned part of North Fork, he sent some .308 solids over for me to test and take a look at........ He was interested mainly in low velocity 300 BLK, but sent enough I could test in other cartridges as well.......

At low velocity penetration was 25 to 30 inches in the 300 BLK, since velocity was around 1200 fps.

Below are some tests with the 308 Winchester........As you see, these are extremely good for depth of penetration, exceeding anything you would ever need in the field for ANYTHING...........

DSC04710-M.jpg
DSC04712-L.jpg
DSC04713-L.jpg

Solids could come in handy, and there really is no reason not to have some........

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are awesome. That loaded into an AR 10 platform for backup on a bear hunt would be ridiculous. I think I could cook up a load for the /06 that would be really awesome. Not to mention the 300 norma. I may have to chat with you if you have time one day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt