Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI-Life, DSC-Life, NRA-Ring of Freedom
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Tanzania, Zambia
Reaching out to the community on where the largest Leopards are found and outfitter recommendations. My biggest to date is 175 pounder out of Namibia that was raiding cattle ranches. I was happy with that setup but it’s been 8 years and looking for current info.

Image1700844600.569957.jpg

HH

Northern KZN. 221lbs and 216lbs.

Matopos Zim, places like Nuanetsi ranch also.
Some areas in Namibia.

Biggest leopard track I ever saw was Waterberg Limpopo.

Sand cats in Bots tend to be smaller and lighter coloured.

Rocky mountenous terrain will generally produce bigger cats as oposed to open plains and sand areas..

Some areas in Namibia.

Rocky mountenous terrain will generally produce bigger cats as oposed to open plains and sand areas..

The cattle killing leopards and spotted hyenas in Northern KZN grow massive.

The possible #2 Rowland Ward spotty was shot here two weeks ago, and I personally know of 4/5 in the top 10 in RW shot here over the last 5 years on Ezemvelo destruction permits.

It’s a shame how many of these super cats are killed for Zulu cultural use with no regards for conservation, with no permits and no repercussions.

Some areas in Namibia.

How are the cats in Mozambique? Nhenda and Niassa specifically, just curious I have heard success rates are high in these areas?

Nhenda I dont know, have not hunted there but should be good.
Niassa is excellent in the right blocks. If you dont get a decent old leopard here your ph is not a cat guy.
Right bait with the right treatment will guarantee a decent tom.
Waterbuck as bait works well and as in many hot places the bait should be treated with a salt rub to help make it last.
Add water supply if not closely available.
The advantage here is that leopards for some reason feed into the early morning so typically you will be up at 03h00 and out to the bait to sit as aposed to sitting in the heat of the afternoon until darkness.
I would recommend Niassa with the right outfit.

Also some super cats in the Matobo Hills in Zimbabwe
almost finished into the thorns by Wayne Grant. according to him the largest given that has been his area for many years would be 180 pounds…he said 196 was the largest he knew of there

Matopos=big leopard.

Matobo hills area outside Bulowayo Zimbabwe.
Here’s a photo a big Tom on a cattle calf.

1d9b964f-4003-4a48-8840-903c11038711.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaching out to the community on where the largest Leopards are found and outfitter recommendations. My biggest to date is 175 pounder out of Namibia that was raiding cattle ranches. I was happy with that setup but it’s been 8 years and looking for current info.

View attachment 571081

HH

That tom is exceptional. What did the cat and scull measure?

Remember weight is subjective to a full belly, but tip of nose to tip of tail and scull measurements are unbiased.

View attachment 571081

HH
A 175 pound leopard is very respectable anywhere . I hunt Matopas region as well as West nic on cattle blocks .. my area in Matopos is where Wayne Grant used to hunt and the Book Into the Thorns is based on primarily.

I’ve taken exceptional cats in both areas over the years . Some cats were nearly 200lb I’m sure but we don’t weigh every cat the skull size is what counts I guess and several of our cats have measured 17” plus . There are great areas available besides West Nic and Matopas that offer great hunting and good cats . End of day it’s what you’re budget allows for that will ultimately determine where you will hunt . All the best .

Wayne Van Den Bergh

Big leopards in Maswa North Game Reserve in Tanzania. Much bigger than leopards found in SW Tanzania. Mike Fell takes some 180+ pound leopards in Maswa fairly regularly but expensive. I’m in Maswa now but not hunting leopard. Lots of leopards here. I’ve seen three in the daylight while hunting other species.

Also some big leopards in Botswana. A friend took a massive leopard there last year.

Botswana has some great ones. Hunting leopards over hounds in the Kalahari provides a great adrenaline rush unrivaled by any other.
IMG_2460.jpeg

Botswana leopard with hounds this past September 2023. I went with Nels Safaris. I can agree with Hunter-Habib’s post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia