What's Your Oldest Ammo?

Here are a few of my "hobby" collectible cartridges I've picked up over the years.

Top photo L-R
45-110 PP ca 1880s, 43 Span ca 1870s (one of the earliest jacketed bullets), 45-70 ca 1870-80s, 577/450 PP M-H ca 1880s, 577 Snider "foil" case / iron base, one with paper wrap ca late 1860s, 7mm Mauser L- DWM 1913 and R- FN '96. Both of the 7x57s have the 173 FMJ RN bullet. The DWM 1913 is the exact type used by Bell for many of his elephants and the date is within the correct range. :)

Middle photo
Head stamps on the two 7 mm Mauser rounds

Bottom photo
56-50 Spencer RF ca 1860s

Old cartrdge group. .png

7 Mauser DWM & FN.png

56-50 Spencer RF.JPG

View attachment 477776View attachment 477777
I will stand corrected if someone with more knowledge steps up on this.
45/70 loaded with 500 grain lead bullet. Some plating remains. Guessing from head stamp that it was loaded in 1897.

I was on a job quite a number of years ago. Someone on the job found out I was a “gun guy”. He gave me a small collection of very old cartridges to get them out of his house. This is what I believe to be oldest that has a date.

K.E. Johnson, are you sure the cartridge in your photo is a 45-70? It looks like it might be an 11mm - 43 cal. black powder cartridge(?).

The cartridge looks like some that I once had for a rifle I once had years ago, could find ammo for it since the only manufacturer partially burnt down and they never rebuilt that part of the plant.

.375H&H from the twenties and pre WW2 450/400 3 1/4..

Kynoch.jpeg
450-400.jpeg

K.E. Johnson, are you sure the cartridge in your photo is a 45-70? It looks like it might be an 11mm - 43 cal. black powder cartridge(?).

The cartridge looks like some that I once had for a rifle I once had years ago, could find ammo for it since the only manufacturer partially burnt down and they never rebuilt that part of the plant.
Ridge Runner,
I checked the cartridge over with my digital calipers. Other than being longer than listed OAL, it appears to definitely be 45/70. Nice fit in my 45/70 Contender barrel as well.
Bullet out of the case is about .450”. With plating being worn off, I could see some lead have being rubbed off as well.

I have no idea of how old this box of Kynoch 404 ammo is, but I have never seen another like it.

03EF99BF-EDD6-4556-A326-9881FE12FB9C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some .22’s we found in my grandfather’s house when he passed. Didn’t own a gun. Maybe someone can ID the lot.
View attachment 478148View attachment 478149

WOW!! I read the box down to the Kings Mill, Ohio address. My Great Grandfather worked at that munitions plant during the war (WWII) till it shut down after the war.
The plant was within walking distance to his home.

There are quite a few stories about that plant. Sorry to say there is nothing left of the old plant as everything was removed back in the mid 1970's or early to mid 80's.

We would occasionally drive past it on family outings to see what still remained and some sort of memory would stir up that granddad would tell from his younger days.

So that box dates back to at least the late 1940's early 50's, I have long forgotten when the plant closed it's doors.

I have a 30-06 cartridge dated “18”. The primer looks like a 209 shotgun primer.
I have a couple packets of Kynoch 8mm Lebel that are real old, I’ll look for a date later.

Hello dear Friends!!

The oldest cartridge I have are 7 mm Mauser:
1-The same DWM 1913 military ball, bullets of aprox 173 grs.
2-Hirtemberger military ball, bullets of aprox 140 grs. pre WWII
3-ICI military ball, bullets of 140 grs 1939
4-RWS H-Mantel 173 grs berdan primed from the sixties
5-RWS H-Mantel 173 grs boxer primed from the seventies.

Best!

CF

I've got an original box of 41rimfire around here somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameronPro

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim