What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

Why would you want to know it at all no matter where you're at. For that matter why do anything, like hunting, buying guns, tipping your PH. That buffalo didn't need to be dead. Sales and Marketing.....first hand and all.
Don't need a watch to go hunting. Pay attention to the sun. Need weapons to go hunting, and out of country a guide. For some, it's a calling-NO sales & marketing required. We will inquire and find them. I never attended a show and bought a hunt. And, no factory guns/ammo advertised in a magazine or TV show. Just custom stuff tailor-made for a lifestyle, to my specifications. If I need to know the time, I'll look at the airport, on my phone, or just ask someone. I used to wear watches in an office setting (as it was fashionable), but then the phone and home office took over (and it was annoying getting certain motorcycling PPE cuffs over the watches.) And, that was the end of that! My Grandfather gave me an old (radioactive) Radium Dial Corp. watch (it glowed-ALL the time!) That's the watch that'll probably kill me (it's long gone.)
1719603560798.png
1719603682370.png

Last edited:
Don't need a watch to go hunting. Pay attention to the sun. Need weapons to go hunting, and out of country a guide. For some, it's a calling-NO sales & marketing required. We will inquire and find them. I never attended a show and bought a hunt. And, no factory guns/ammo advertised in a magazine or TV show. Just custom stuff tailor-made for a lifestyle, to my specifications. If I need to know the time, I'll look at the airport, on my phone, or just ask someone. I used to wear watches in an office setting (as it was fashionable), but then the phone and home office took over (and it was annoying getting certain motorcycling PPE cuffs over the watches.) And, that was the end of that! My Grandfather gave me an old (radioactive) Radium Dial Corp. watch (it glowed-ALL the time!) That's the watch that'll probably kill me (it's long gone.)View attachment 616676View attachment 616677 And, yes, the early books were Sales & Marketing (many of them-Jack O'Conner, et. al.) I'm not certain TR was selling anything but himself for office.

Just custom stuff tailor-made for a lifestyle, to my specifications. If I need to know the time, I'll look at the airport, on my phone, or just ask someone.
So custom tailored rifles, ammo and other hunting gear is OK, but a fine timepiece is a bridge too far. Sure, I get it. Makes perfect sense.

So custom tailored rifles, ammo and other hunting gear is OK, but a fine timepiece is a bridge too far. Sure, I get it. Makes perfect sense.
what i'm saying is a Watch is unnecessary in hunting or hunting Africa. Equipment is necessary. Custom equipment (not advertised anywhere-build it and they will come!), handloads, and finer quality gear. It just makes sense for true Hunters. It probably also stems from my Puritan/Quaker heritage-I just automatically find many trinkets unnecessary (and it sickens me to see advertisements for anything. Likely from dealing w/ corporate salespeople that'd sell the world to a customer and then hand the project off to engineering only to find they have a DE budget.) lol now as I started my own business and clients call me-NO ads necessary. It's trickery that works on most!) "I'm Lovin' It." lol All that said, as my Dad was fond of saying: To Each, their own. A bridge not required in hunting. That's what i'm saying. My phone/computers tell me a lot of things, one of which is the time. Works for me. Show me your African game you bagged using your watch, or at least, how it enhanced your hunting experience...

what i'm saying is a Watch is unnecessary in hunting or hunting Africa.
No. What you are saying is a watch is not necessary for YOU to hunt Africa. For others, it is an essential part of their kit.
Show me your African game you bagged using your watch, or at least, how it enhanced your hunting experience...
And my need to show you how my hunt was enhanced, is no more necessary than a picture of you not wearing one. We can simply agree to disagree.

However, talking down to those who do enjoy a nice timepiece (or any of the finer thing that one may enjoy) is not the act of a gentleman.

Don't need a watch to go hunting. Pay attention to the sun. Need weapons to go hunting, and out of country a guide. For some, it's a calling-NO sales & marketing required. We will inquire and find them. I never attended a show and bought a hunt. And, no factory guns/ammo advertised in a magazine or TV show. Just custom stuff tailor-made for a lifestyle, to my specifications. If I need to know the time, I'll look at the airport, on my phone, or just ask someone. I used to wear watches in an office setting (as it was fashionable), but then the phone and home office took over (and it was annoying getting certain motorcycling PPE cuffs over the watches.) And, that was the end of that! My Grandfather gave me an old (radioactive) Radium Dial Corp. watch (it glowed-ALL the time!) That's the watch that'll probably kill me (it's long gone.)

I don't need anything to go hunting but $. I don't need to own a thing. I can show up and it will all be there waiting.

But again, I believe you're missing the point. It isn't that you need a watch during the actual time in the field when you hunting. You don't, unless you actually have to tell time for some reason.

It's 'what watch to you wear when you GO hunting'? I wear a watch everyday. Like I wear underwear. It's part of what I have on me daily. Usually when I'm hunting I wear a Casio G-Shock, that syncs to the atomic clock, and lets me know sunrise and sunset. It's useful to me, but definitely not necessary

Glad you're living the simple and pure hunting life with the tailor made gear that fits your lifestyle.

No. What you are saying is a watch is not necessary for YOU to hunt Africa. For others, it is an essential part of their kit.

And my need to show you how my hunt was enhanced, is no more necessary than a picture of you not wearing one. We can simply agree to disagree.

However, talking down to those who do enjoy a nice timepiece (or any of the finer thing that one may enjoy) is not the act of a gentleman.
getting offended at another's POV is akin to saying Biden & Harris have their place in governing the USA. A watch is unnecessary in hunting (i've been hunting quite successfully >1/2 century with no watch.) Prove me wrong. LOL We have the freedom to like whatever trinkets we like. Only, I've been raised to not like trinkets so much. Tools? Yes! It's ok. If only more Americans had stronger beliefs about things, Biden would've NEVER gotten elected. Sales & Marketing, again (MSM/NWO.) "I hated that f'n watch!" -Aleksandar Živojinović OC lol I'm with Him. I'd jest and ask What socks....but socks are more important than watches on a hunt!!! To each, their own. No offense here. Just another view...that several seem to share.

I’m starting a new habit. Every time someone asks me what time it is.

Before telling them. I’ll ask.

First tell me if you’re one of those people that a watch is not needed because you have a phone. But now don’t feel like digging your phone out. it’s easier to ask me.

If your one of those. From now on I’ll say dig your phone out.

My watch is just to show off and is not necessary :cool:

I’m starting a new habit. Every time someone asks me what time it is.

Before telling them. I’ll ask.

First tell me if you’re one of those people that a watch is not needed because you have a phone. But now don’t feel like digging your phone out. it’s easier to ask me.

If your one of those. From now on I’ll say dig your phone out.

My watch is just to show off and is not necessary :cool:
There is something said about brutal honesty. Phone is off stowed away while hunting. Nothing to do with Hunting! You guys should form an AfricanHuntingWatches group. :) L O L While I am one of the lucky ones that could buy a Lambo or petty Rolex, I'd rather not waste resources (or make a show of myself in some very sketchy places,) but give it away to those in-need, whether at home or afar...One can do both, of course, but it's just not my thing. Watches are simply jewelry today (and I know from my earlier motorhead friends that Italian anything is high maintenance/unreliable AND you had better duct-tape that watch to your wrist in touristy Italy as many kids will attempt a grab at it. 'totally undesirable!) and you essentially came out and said it. It's for show. Conspicuous consumption. So, thank you! Also, you described millenials/Gen Z (typ. kids today) in your decent first inquiry prior to providing the time. I can imagine you guys flashing those watches with tongues hanging out when someone does inquire, though! LOL :p It's prob also engrained in my DNA, as the word Jewelry in itself is NOT generally regarded as a good thing. Women like jewelry. Or, most of 'em. I happen to be fond of those who don't. 'both kids Dr.s. Neither wear a watch (including while hunting.) One does always have a sat phone/GPS but he likes being in the midst of nowhere.

Last edited:
I like to know how long I have until dark(or dawn), because that matters when hunting and depending on where you're hunting it can REALLY matter! I'm not a fan of the hold your fingers to the horizon swag method.

I remember vividly laying in a duck boat on the Great Lakes opening morning many years ago, we put the decoys out at midnight and anchored to secure our honey hole of a spot. The two of us had no watch(cell phones weren't a thing yet). That was the longest 6 hours of my life, every 30 min I'd wake up and think it should be getting light anytime now... and in duck hunting shooting hours REALLY matter!

I like to know how long I have until dark(or dawn), because that matters when hunting and depending on where you're hunting it can REALLY matter! I'm not a fan of the hold your fingers to the horizon swag method.

I remember vividly laying in a duck boat on the Great Lakes opening morning many years ago, we put the decoys out at midnight and anchored to secure our honey hole of a spot. The two of us had no watch(cell phones weren't a thing yet). That was the longest 6 hours of my life, every 30 min I'd wake up and think it should be getting light anytime now... and in duck hunting shooting hours REALLY matter!
you can use any GPS app on your phone to get you back to your car or abode in total darkness. I hunted a few places where church bells used to ring-i LOVED that-and that's when I knew when to head back.

CW many don’t wear watches anymore.

It was just always part of required equipment in several jobs I’ve had over the years. So it’s an ingrained habit. Just like wearing a belt and carrying a knife. As I would be embarrassed to ask another adult what time it is. I also refuse to ask another man to borrow his knife.

guidelines in my units were a wristwatch, no cell phones they run out of juice on missions, and you can't check it easily when you are in a hide or moving, watch on the inside of the wrist can be checked easily with minimal movement. Similar logic when I am hunting, minimize the movement and no possibility of a ringtone at the worst possible moment. And yes, I do need to know the time when i am hunting, 1/2-hour pre sun rise/post sunset, how long to wait post shot, etc. I guess I could use the sun like a ninja or Dan'l Boone but I embrace a bit more precision.

As far as quality of the watch I was taught early in the military career, buy the best you can afford it won't let you down when the world goes all to he!! and will perform regardless of the weather, temperature, etc. there is a reason NASA and tier one units worldwide trust Omega, Rolex, Seiko, etc.
Buy quality not gimmicks, trends and flash in other words performance/durability over pretty.

I still fail to understand why some people will take the time to state that their way is the right one.

If you don´t like to wear watches, fine, great, do it your way.

Some of us love our watches, let us enjoy it OK ?

By the way, this is a thread about watches.

I still fail to understand why some people will take the time to state that their way is the right one.

IMG_3630.jpeg

I’ve always liked watches but never wore one the last 20 years because of the mobile phone. After watching this thread a few months back I bought a Timex Expedition that I always thought was cool.

After wearing it everyday for a month I forgot it at home and found myself looking at my wrist throughout the day. I didn’t realize how much I now look at a wrist watch.

Two days ago my phone battery expired after heavy usage. I can’t fathom how long the Timex battery would last and of course any of the movement watches it wouldn’t be an issue.

I’m not going hunting, so forgive my derailment of the thread.

I will be wearing my Tudor Black Bay GMT, Pepsi to Alaska next week on a halibut fishing trip with my son.

It has had the second time zone feature set to Alaska time since the day I received it in April. will look at it to see what time it would be if I were in AK with the kiddo.
IMG_2187.jpeg

I’m not going hunting, so forgive my derailment of the thread.

I will be wearing my Tudor Black Bay GMT, Pepsi to Alaska next week on a halibut fishing trip with my son.

It has had the second time zone feature set to Alaska time since the day I received it in April. will look at it to see what time it would be if I were in AK with the kiddo.
View attachment 616957

Very nice!

At this point in the thread(s), I just find them entertaining. You can spot their screed-like manifestos professing liberation from the shackles of time at least a mile away. Why they'd go so far out of their way to pee on other people's harmless parade is beyond me?

a watch with a gmt function (2nd time zone) like a rolex gmt or explorer can actually tell u the direction you are heading, or should be headed if the sun is out. a gmt watch is definitely workable as essential hunting gear particularly on alaska DIY hunts out in the middle of nowhere. sometimes electronics fail/run out of juice/get lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BW32

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!