What was your best firearm deal?

About 20 tears ago, online, I bought a like new Ruger 77 RSEX, 338 Win Mag for $435 delivered to my FFL. I couldn't believe the Gunshop priced it so low. These were going for maybe $900 to $1000. I really liked the rifle and knew it was fairly rare in that caliber.

The only issue is I couldn't shoot it well.
The recoil (probably recoil velocity) was just too much of a good thing, even after a Decelerator pad added. After about 8 years just looking at, I sold it for $1200. I think my ROI was pretty good.

Later I paid too much for another RSEX in 30-06. It's a keeper.

4 years ago, I bought a like new BACO Winchester M-70 Alaskan in .375 H&H. off of GB, for $700, about $250 lower than going rate.

When I brought it home from LGS I realized why. It wouldn't feed correctly.

The magazine spring was twisted. A new spring arrived a few days later from Brownells.

Presto! Feeds like a dream.

This is a fun topic.

For the inverse maybe start a thread for the "worst" gun deals we have made.
I've got more of the worst deals than best deals

So I was 16 and playing some great rugby was in the first 15 at school and all was looking good. Was also stalking with a 270 Churchill which kicked like a SOB but I had the weight so could absorb the abuse. I then caught Lepto from Dads calf feed bins. The rats had been in it. So must have got it from not washing my hands or through a cut. If anyone here has had this vile disease it’s a shit. Leptospirosis took me for a ride 6 weeks in hospital and went from 80kg to 68kg ended my rugby career right there and nearly ended me.
Anyway had to sell the 270 as I could no longer absorb the recoil.
That’s the shit bit
Now the good bit. Had a neighbour who had a 308 browning BLR saw him shoot this a number of times and liked it.
Anyway saw a for sale sign for one in 243.
Brought it for $500 nzd with a spare mag thrown in. The stock was still in that awful varnish and the bluing had been rubbed off around the mag well but it shot really well.
I stripped off the varnish and waxed it. Then had a muzzle brake put on as I was still struggling with recoil.
The started to really hunt hard. My fitness came back. (Not the weight though never been back past 75).
Imported it to England when I moved here after my African stint, had my gunmaker Phil Turner sort the trigger and re blue the metal work.
I re-did the stock in a special brew that Phil gave me.
It’s back in NZ now but best buy that I could not afford at the time. As I was not even sure if I could hunt again. Hills in NZ are steep.
Here’s a few pics.
IMG_2526.jpeg

Typically North Island bush.
IMG_5673.jpeg

After the restoration in the uk.
Stewart Island around 93
image.jpg
image.jpg

UK roe buck looks to be before the restoration
IMG_2673.jpeg

Picking it back up. He was making this flintlock at the time.
IMG_5666.jpeg

Back in NZ.
IMG_8237.jpeg

My best deal is the Blaser R8, which is probably not a surprise to most of you. The surprise is the caliber...22lr. By far the most used rifle in my vault. Yes it converts to all kinds of other calibers, but I've dedicated one of my stocks to only be used on the 22 because it's that important. Topped with a simple Leupold 4x rimfire scope and QD mount, it drives tacks out to 100 yards when I do my part. It doesn't hurt that it's a full-sized and has the exact dimensions of every other rifle I own.
1694863511683.png

Best deal was a gunbroker auction 6BR from a pawn shop in Vegas. Was the first and only bid. Loaded ammo for it and it wouldn't chamber. Found a gunsmith that was a twenty plus time to Africa hunter who fixed it for me. Eventually he taught me how to chamber and fit barrels. Got me started down the safari road, Trip #10 next year. Funny how some things turn out in life. Yep, best gun deal I ever made.

Citori 3" twelve gauge for $700 US. I made the case.
Citori case 1.JPG

I don't shoot it well so don't shoot it much. My go to gun for birds and clays is this Browning A5. Bought it at a gun show about ten years ago for $500 Canadian. Not a great buy as I have replaced everything but the barrel and trigger group. Original receiver was 1976 FN (receiver on it now is 1961) and barrel is 1980s Miroku with chokes. An ugly Frankengun but it is a bird killing clay busting machine.
Black Beauty 2.JPG

Last edited:
Walked into a gun shop that I’m a little to familiar with according to my wife about 3 months into the Covid insanity and the guy asked if I had any use for a .338 Win mag, not really but he said someone had put a $1,000 deposit on a Ruger and then lost his job. I paid the difference of $300 and have a pretty nice rifle.
How do you look yourself in the mirror? Deals like that should be a felony. :D

Let me throw my hat into the ring of best deals.
Earlier this year I came across a Rigby Highland stalker that was for sale. To be honest I wasn't realy looking but I always said if one came up at the right price in 9.3x62 i would buy it to match my Rigby Big Game in 450.
But this one was in 275 Rigby, so my interest wasn't immediate.
But I came back to it, with some faint interest a few days later as I came with a hard case and spare stock.
I decided to put in a ridiculously low bid just for the hell of it. Much to my surprise it was accepted. Now I had to go through with the sale so made the transfer of the agreed amount for the equivalent of $4500 usd.
It's in storage till I can pick it up.
This however is a photo of the Rigby i bought

IMG-20230607-WA0000.jpg

A couple come to mind, first was my Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57, a local gun store was going out of business several years ago and had everything marked down, the sales man noticed a small indent on the stock and knocked more money off- $700.00 out the door, the best deal I ever got was while in college,I traded a six pack of Blatz for a Marlin 30-30 with Scope.

Over 30 years ago, I saw an ad in the local classifieds paper on Seattle, listing a Westley Richards 98 Mauser in 7x57. I called the guy and we agreed to meet in a parking lot next to my uncles business on Lake Union.
Well dressed fella around 60 or so, pulls out this beautiful rifle out of a soft case in his trunk. He related some confusing story about ending up with the rifle for payment owed, had no use for it, knew it was nice but nothing else about it.
I asked how much? $500 says he. I drove away with that rifle. Sold it about a year later for double.
Probably worth 10K$ now. Should have kept it!
I went to Botswana just a few months later and was telling my PH about it, he said you should have brought it along, told him I sold it.
The look on his face...

I got a mossberg 535 from Walmart years ago for $289. I’ve taken that shotgun hunting in rain, sleet, and snow. I’ve fallen on it, used it as a walking stick, and dropped it dozens of times. It still runs like a champ and I’ve bagged more game with it than any other firearm i own.

I consider that a deal

My best deal is the Blaser R8, which is probably not a surprise to most of you. The surprise is the caliber...22lr. By far the most used rifle in my vault. Yes it converts to all kinds of other calibers, but I've dedicated one of my stocks to only be used on the 22 because it's that important. Topped with a simple Leupold 4x rimfire scope and QD mount, it drives tacks out to 100 yards when I do my part. It doesn't hurt that it's a full-sized and has the exact dimensions of every other rifle I own.
View attachment 557745
@BeeMaa
It may drive tacks mate but normal people use a hammer for that.
But will it shoot game.
1 was at the range yesterday with my little 300 dollar Bruno 22 sighting in with sub Sonia's at 50 yards and a cheap arse 4 power .
Happy with the results but pulled the 5th shot.
Won't drive tacks cause it ain't a hammer but it sure as shit shoots ok.
Bob
20230916_204134.jpg

@BeeMaa
It may drive tacks mate but normal people use a hammer for that.
But will it shoot game.
1 was at the range yesterday with my little 300 dollar Bruno 22 sighting in with sub Sonia's at 50 yards and a cheap arse 4 power .
Happy with the results but pulled the 5th shot.
Won't drive tacks cause it ain't a hammer but it sure as shit shoots ok.
Bob View attachment 557869
Why are your inches so small? :ROFLMAO:

The Rem BDL in 270 Win I bought in 1968. Killed 2 dozen elk, 9 bears, too many deer and javelina to count. Handed it down to my son about 7 years ago (I want it back lol) He killed his first elk with it.

Terrible picture. It's the rifle on the bottom. Still in great shape a few scratches from sliding down a Talus slope etc. Still shoots great. Paid $350 with a Redfield 3-9x Tracker on it in 1968.

7ymIhyM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several firearms that are poor man’s versions of a rich man’s guns.

I wanted a Griffin & Howe Springfield 1903 like Ernest Hemingway used, and I ended up with this sporterized 1903 that I got for $325.
IMG_0968.jpeg

I wanted a Mannlicher-Schönauer 1903 in 6.5x54 (Hemingway had that too). I ended up with this sporterized Carcano in 6.5x52 for $110.
IMG_0059.jpeg

I wanted a custom FN Mauser that I could take to Africa someday. I ended up with this Frankenrifle with a NOS FN receiver, new Husqvarna .30-06 barrel and vintage Fajen stock for $220.
IMG_1354.jpeg

I have a handful of rifles that fit that description. They have a certain kind of charm, and tons of sentimental value.

Just in the last year I scored the following;

1- Winchester 70 Classic made in 1994 338 winmag with 300 pieces of new Winchester brass at a local shop $500

2- Winchester 94 30-30 made in 1971 never fired $300

3- Remington 700 adl 30-06 made in 1974 $300

4- Shiloh-Sharps 1874 45-70 Business rifle, Free! from a good friend that knew I've wanted one for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinTri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well