What Type of locks for Gun Case and International Travel?

If you have a Pelican case then Paclock has a new lock just for the 1700 series that I used recently and liked. No you don’t have to have locks in every lock location on a case. Just make sure the case can’t be opened enough to remove anything from it. I don’t use every lock location and haven’t been hassled about it by TSA. I also don’t use TSA locks on my gun cases because a long time ago TSA made me remove them from my gun case when flying out of Portland one time.

Forget TSA "requirements". It's a FEDERAL LAW to not use TSA locks. The TSA website is incorrect.

49 CFR § 1540.111 - Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals​

§ 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
(a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—
(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;
(2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or
(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§ 1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.
(b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:
(1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.
(2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§ 1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.
(3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.
(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:
(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(ii) The firearm is unloaded;
(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.
(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.
[67 FR 8353, Feb. 22, 2002, as amended at 67 FR 41639, June 19, 2002; 70 FR 41600, July 19, 2005; 71 FR 30507, May 26, 2006]

Disclaimer: No law degree but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.

I use a match set of regular Master locks. TSA only cares that you can open them quickly, and all the holes have locks.

@BeeMaa is right about them just for keeping honest people honest. The gun case is easy to break into with or without picking the locks (I actually had to pick my locks with a hair pin once, took me about 8 min because I am rusty). Unless you fly with a TRTL safe, they are all easy. Luckily, thieves target your easy to pocket goods instead of rifles 99% of the time.

Oh, and get some Apple Air Tags.
Whatever locks you use, put Apple Air Tags in all of your baggage, both checked and carry-on. I would have lost my 375 in February at SFO were it not for having an Air Tag inside my Tuffpak. It took 2 hours to get it, as some baggage handler hid the case somewhere. It took 3 separate search’s and involvement of a helpful Customs Officer and finally the case showed up.

Remember, TSA locks are only good for the good old USA for inspections unless other countries adapt to our standards. And if someone wants your rifle they are just going to take the whole case and not just the rifle.

I just use a keyed alike master locks with a couple spares left unlocked inside of the case with a note just encase they get cut off. It might not help much but it gives me piece of mind.

I do use TSA locks on my ammo box inside of my checked bag.

As was suggested, if you have multiple locking spots on your case, cut off all but 2 and file them down to where the surface is smooth. This will eliminate you having to purchase extra locks at the airport if it fails inspection.

I also wonder what was the problem with the one poster who said that TSA paged them to open their case in Dallas. Perhaps there was something inside of the case that rose suspicions and just didn't look right. In my grand total of 2 flights coming home and two different airports with Dallas being one of them I have had zero problems once I have left customs and dropped my luggage off at the baggage drop or whatever you call it before I headed to my connecting flight.

On Apple Air tags, remember you need a Iphone for these to work. Us android uses are out of luck with them. There are some that are designed for android but from what I have read they don't work as well as the Apple ones.

Thanks @BeeMaa
I really have no idea why some folks are so passionate about this? I've used TSA locks on a huge number of airlines to many different countries. I have watched TSA whip out their key on many occasions To open a gun case.
To each his own on locks. I'll be using TSA compliant locks and will be having a drink in the lounge while others are worrying and waiting for TSA.
Regards,
Philip

While I agree that it’s your choice on types of locks some airports require you to wait at check in for a minimum of 15 minutes for TSA to inspect. This is almost always the case when they have a central baggage screening location behind the counter. I use non TSA locks when traveling internationally with rifles.

HH

I can only give you my experiences. Have now traveled out of the country with firearms around 30 times using the same Americase 2 rifle case with built in keyed locks. Open at checkin at Baton Rouge or New Orleans then off I go. Next time it is opened is out of country

Forget TSA "requirements". It's a FEDERAL LAW to not use TSA locks. The TSA website is incorrect.

49 CFR § 1540.111 - Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals​

(a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—
(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;
(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§ 1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.
(b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:
(1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.
(2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§ 1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.
(3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.
(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:
(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.
[67 FR 8353, Feb. 22, 2002, as amended at 67 FR 41639, June 19, 2002; 70 FR 41600, July 19, 2005; 71 FR 30507, May 26, 2006]

Yes, exactly! I don’t know why @Philip Glass keeps saying to use TSA locks on gun cases. TSA has no reason to have legal access to firearms unless they contact you and ask you to see the firearms again AFTER they have already checked once. I have flown internationally with firearms dozens of times to Africa, Asia and Europe and have never been contacted by TSA to see my firearms a SECOND time. Has it mistakenly happened to someone else, maybe so but the TSA themselves, the airlines and I don’t want anyone to have access to open my firearms cases but me and it’s the law.

In other countries, they can also ask me. If they break in to my firearm case, so be it, but I’m not giving them an easier way to do that with TSA locks.

Yes, exactly! I don’t know why @Philip Glass keeps saying to use TSA locks on gun cases. TSA has no reason to have legal access to firearms unless they contact you and ask you to see the firearms again AFTER they have already checked once. I have flown internationally with firearms dozens of times to Africa, Asia and Europe and have never been contacted by TSA to see my firearms a SECOND time. Has it mistakenly happened to someone else, maybe so but the TSA themselves, the airlines and I don’t want anyone to have access to open my firearms cases but me and it’s the law.

In other countries, they can also ask me. If they break in to my firearm case, so be it, but I’m not giving them an easier way to do that with TSA locks.
Scott to each his own. I’ve done it a time or two as well and with more than a dozen hunters with me on many occasions. Those that follow my advice do well.
Also it is when travel goes sideways that they come in handy. Ever had a flight cancelled or an itinerary change last minute?
As I said to each his own but I am getting tired of folks saying I am doing something illegal. I’ve explained this over and over.

The LPL can be a real bummer. Makes even the most secure locks look so simple. Imagine having the confidence to buy a used high security lock, without a key!

I appreciate all the research that @BeeMaa does on these sort of things. Always interesting!

If you have a Pelican case then Paclock has a new lock just for the 1700 series that I used recently and liked. No you don’t have to have locks in every lock location on a case. Just make sure the case can’t be opened enough to remove anything from it. I don’t use every lock location and haven’t been hassled about it by TSA. I also don’t use TSA locks on my gun cases because a long time ago TSA made me remove them from my gun case when flying out of Portland one time.
The rules have changed due to idiots using those flimsy Plano gun cases. It is a requirement to have a lock in every hole on the rifle case.

You, like several others, are misinterpreting the law. It means no other individual may have the key or combo. THE GOVERNMENT IS NOT A PERSON.

I have many hundreds of domestic flights with firearms, and multiple trips internationally, I now use cheap TSA locks. I carry a few extra with me, if one breaks or it they happen to cut one, I can just throw another one.

Interesting. Can someone please copy the verbiage about every lockable hole requiring a lock? I've never heard of that.

Biggest snafu I almost fell foul of was airlink requiring 72hrs notice for a firearm. I've done 4 trips with firearms, and this was the first time I hit that roadblock. Fortunately, the paperwork service guy squared it away in about 30 minutes with a few contacts...

The problem with how many locks are needed on a rifle case is a huge gray area.

If you do a search you will find very little actual information from TSA besides that the rifle case needs to be secured.

There are other sites that say that if your case has 1 hasp then it is 1 lock, likewise if your case has 20 hasp then it requires 20 locks.

But I agree with what Phillip G did. Take a dremel tool or a hacksaw and cut off the unneeded hasp to where you only have two and file the cut area down smooth.

The main thing is, are you planning on arguing with a person that is in power to make your life a living hell no matter what the outcome is going to be? How long will it take to get a supervisor who actually knows the requirements to where you are arguing as your flight is boarding?

I have found that on a international flight that I'll do anything that I can to make my flight as stress free as possible.

The main thing is, are you planning on arguing with a person that is in power to make your life a living hell no matter what the outcome is going to be? How long will it take to get a supervisor who actually knows the requirements to where you are arguing as your flight is boarding?

I have found that on a international flight that I'll do anything that I can to make my flight as stress free as possible.
I totally agree.

On my last outward bound international flight, I had Delta agents telling me I had to send my Ammo in a separate locked case from with my clothes. I had planned to fly from ATL with my gun case and a clothing bag containing the ammo. I was prepared to do that because I was catching an internal flight from Johannesburg. If I was not allowed 3 pieces of luggage, it would have been costly.

There was no way I was going to get into a discussion with the agents--English appeared to be a second language for them both. To be banned or miss a flight did not appeal to me.

Scott to each his own. I’ve done it a time or two as well and with more than a dozen hunters with me on many occasions. Those that follow my advice do well.
Also it is when travel goes sideways that they come in handy. Ever had a flight cancelled or an itinerary change last minute?
As I said to each his own but I am getting tired of folks saying I am doing something illegal. I’ve explained this over and over.
Just because it has worked doesn’t mean it’s correct. Yes, I’ve had itineraries change but never have had to switch airlines. What does that have to do with anything with TSA?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RachelFlan

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]