What to try and take while in South Africa

Talk to your PH when you get there and let him know upfront. Something like this..."I want an impala. And I have X$ to spend on other animals. What do think?" He will be happy to help you get the most bang for your buck.
This is exactly what I did. I told my PH upfront that I wanted a Kudu and I wanted my son to have a good time, that was the priorities. Other than that I had X$ to spend on additional trophy fees and was up for whatever was going down. He understood and made it all work.

I agree with everyone that said, “Take what Africa gives”. Save as much as you can, then tell your PH your budget and kind of an order, but be flexible to change. Put the Impala at the top of the list and then have fun chasing what you think is cool.

Depending on time, you can even tell the PH you want something “you’d be stupid not to shoot” in your budget. That’s how I got my wide Blesbok. Blesbok wasn’t even in my head as an option, but now I love looking back at that pic. If you get towards the end of your trip without a second “unique” animal, it’s pretty easy to just shoot a “regular” trophy, especially if your open to several species.

IMG_4504.JPG

Dave,
If looking for biggest bang for the back, Impala looks like the best option.
Others are also just fine.

A word of caution:
1. Check with PH or outfitter which of the above list has the best chance for successful hunt. Not necessarily it will be impala. go for best success chance, within reasonable fee range.

2. If I am not mistaken from my research, in some cases, VAT is added if the trophies are not exported, so double check about this. (others to correct me if I am wrong)
In case VAT is added for non exported trophies, it might be worth the trouble to take home, at least euro scull mounts??? Doble check on that one.

Bushbuck
or
Warthog
or
Springbuck

In that order. You should never pass up on a good Bushbuck.

You need to go with an open mind and not fix things in stone. For example: You may decide on a blesbuck for your second animal and then get the opportunity on a great bushbuck. My advice is then to take it. I have seen too many times clients pass up on a certain animal only to decide after the opportunity to want it again and then never see one for the rest of the trip.

2 small animals are too few for a trip all the way here. Make some plan and give yourself the opportunity to hunt more animals.

At most of the outfitters frequented by AH members your planned hunt could be over in one or two days. What are you going to do for the rest of the time? With any luck and a skilled travel agent you will be spending 40 hours flying and or waiting in an airport. Taking a few more animals will make that long journey much more worth while. Just for giggles set an imaginary budget of 1 or 2K and see what additional animals you can take with it. You will be surprised. Then being a bit more motivated you might possibly be able to come up with the extra funds.

At most of the outfitters frequented by AH members your planned hunt could be over in one or two days. What are you going to do for the rest of the time? With any luck and a skilled travel agent you will be spending 40 hours flying and or waiting in an airport. Taking a few more animals will make that long journey much more worth while. Just for giggles set an imaginary budget of 1 or 2K and see what additional animals you can take with it. You will be surprised. Then being a bit more motivated you might possibly be able to come up with the extra funds.
My experience, first safari, first day, two animals by 3:00 p.m.. You're over the rainbow, in Africa. :A Banana:

Take what Africa gives. Your set on an impala, that's cool. Now just wait until you get there, and go with the flow.

Why decide now? - get over there enjoy the wildlife and scenery and chances are you will answer your own question. Once I got over there and observed and experienced the animals, a lot changed from the preconceived ideas I had going in. Never thought much of the Red Hartebeest - after seeing and watching them, I would hunt them every chance I get. After a day or two, there will probably be an animal or two that catch your attention.

Like Mekaniks said "go with the flow" - take your time. look things over, don't be in a hurrry, there will be lots of time if you only plan to shoot two critters...
(unless you decide on Bushbuck - them little buggers can be tough to find, if you aren't lucky, you can spend an entire hunt trying to get one)

As someone who is going to South Africa for the first time in March, like most newbies, I have lots of questions and it truly is a blessing to have so many of you who have gone before to ask questions of.
Thank you again for everyone's help and being so friendly and helpful as im planning to hunt Africa for my first time. A few months away cant seem to come soon enough.
Dave
What ever trophies you decide at the end of the day to harvest while on safari, the most important aspect is to ENJOY the planning process and ENJOY the safari.
Define what YOU consider as successful; then enjoy the opportunity to create memories to cherish for a lifetime.
We are all looking forward to your hunt report.
Happy hunting and straight shooting.

Good luck. I wish I was in your shoes, the first Safari is always the best, so many decisions to make. Like others have said let Africa decide. Things change once you are there.
Enjoy the ride and welcome to our African addiction.

Good luck. I wish I was in your shoes, the first Safari is always the best, so many decisions to make. Like others have said let Africa decide. Things change once you are there.
Enjoy the ride and welcome to our African addiction.
Completely agree. Hunt for the Impala, know your budget and just see what turns up.
I just made my first trip in August and had set a definite list I wanted. I did not vary from it and had a great time, but I passed on several tremendous opportunities because of it (including a Waterbuck my PH said would be high in the record book). On one hand it kept me in my budget and allowed me to get the animals on my wish list. Also gives a big reason to go back. But I envy you going with somewhat of an open list. You never know what you will see over there that you never thought of hunting that all of a sudden you really want. I got my Impala 20 minutes into the first day and just thought "OK, the "common" game is down, on to the Kudu and Gemsbok." By the end of my week Impala was one of my favorite animals. They are beautiful. I had also never been intrigued by the small antelopes. Now a Steenbok is high on my list for my next trip and one of the only regrets I have for my first trip.

The bush buck is by far the best value on the price list!

Dave,

Base on your list I would do one of two things:

Option 1: The poor mans elephant (Warthog) and porcupine
Option 2: Bush buck

I hunted SA in 2016 and by lunch on the second day I had taken a Zebra, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest and a Gemsbok. The amount of PG in Africa is staggering, what looks big to you may end up not being a shooter so you'll have to trust your PH. Based on your Avatar and the the fact that you live in Topeka I assume you are picky about the size of the deer you take, do the same on your safari. If you are only going to hunt a few animals make sure you are up front with your Outfitter and PH and tell them you only want "Gold" medal trophies and you'll spend a lot more time hunting for the animals you want and less time trying to convince yourself not to shoot additional trophies. Most outfitters these days take credit cards for the final payment and I'm telling you the truth when I say hunting Africa makes it very hard to stay off the trigger.

@CAustin and I both live in Kansas City and would be glad to answer any question you have about your safari either in person or on the phone, in fact their is a Safari Club International meeting this Wednesday you could come to, its a great time and everyone their is all bout hunting Africa. Check out KCSCI.com for info on the dinner and meeting.

I have not hunted several of these animals, but the one I would recommend is the Bushbuck. Hard to find, hard to stalk, as dangerous as a cape buffalo if you wound one (their horns are close to femoral artery height when they charge). I think you could have exciting memories from that hunt. Don't shoot them from over 50 or 60 yards. My 2 cents.
I have a 15 inch Bushbuck on my wall. It was a great hunt and definatly not an animal to take chances with if wounded.
markcz

Every trophy animal that presents itself. Otherwise, when you get home..... you will be wishing you had.

Any good animal which shows up.

I would reconsider and do euro mounts, check the prices, they are not that expensive, and you will have time to pay those costs.

I remember you previous post of being on a tight budget , ask outfitter for cull pricing as if your are not wanting trophies due to budget constraints don’t pay trophy prices , also ask about baboon as most outfitters only charge unless exporting . But takes as much cash as you can because you will be in awe at he numbers of game you will encounter small and large.

Thank you to all of you so far for your input and advice. I did talk to the outfitter and was told by management they do not offer any cull animals for reduced rates.

Their animal fees also do seem a little higher than other outfitters ive seen online, but I think this might be because they are making up for the daily rates since they do offer a lot of these safari at NRA banquets as donated hunts. I understand people got to make their money, but I agree that certain fees seem high compared to others...especially the baboon fee. I did watch the Springbok price has jumped up since I originally looked, so I just got to keep an eye on things before I go and save as much cash as I can to take with me.

The more I read about bushbucks the more im intrigued, might be worth it to try for one since the hunts can be challenging im reading. I am comfortable waiting to decide what to take until I get there after talking to PH. My plan is to outline my entire budget for trophy fees and explain that I want an Impala as #1 priorty, then the 2nd animal can be flexible but want to enjoy the hunting trip and not just bag both animals on day one.

Thank you to all of you so far for your input and advice. I did talk to the outfitter and was told by management they do not offer any cull animals for reduced rates.

Their animal fees also do seem a little higher than other outfitters ive seen online, but I think this might be because they are making up for the daily rates since they do offer a lot of these safari at NRA banquets as donated hunts. I understand people got to make their money, but I agree that certain fees seem high compared to others...especially the baboon fee. I did watch the Springbok price has jumped up since I originally looked, so I just got to keep an eye on things before I go and save as much cash as I can to take with me.

The more I read about bushbucks the more im intrigued, might be worth it to try for one since the hunts can be challenging im reading. I am comfortable waiting to decide what to take until I get there after talking to PH. My plan is to outline my entire budget for trophy fees and explain that I want an Impala as #1 priorty, then the 2nd animal can be flexible but want to enjoy the hunting trip and not just bag both animals on day one.
Last summer my son and I both had a 50 yard broad side shot at a bushbuck, but it wasn't in the plan nor the budget! So these things do happen and it makes hunting in Africa so much more fun as compared to chasing white tails in the southern U.S.

2 small animals are too few for a trip all the way here. Make some plan and give yourself the opportunity to hunt more animals.

This was my first thought.

Unless I was flying over for free (ie going over on business) I would hold off on going over until I could actually hunt for at least 5 animals, to make the travel time/expense make sense. Unless one of the animals is a Big 5!

But I hate flying...so there you go.

And the outfitter I hunted with in 2015 allowed me to shoot Baboon and Jackal for free...

Good luck with the planning and above all, have fun with it.

Hi @Dave Zimmerman ,
A couple questions and a few thoughts for you. Do you know what Province you will be hunting? It may have some bearing on your plans of what to hunt.
You have listed Cape Bushbuck as one possibility for you second animal. I think you may be hunting in the Limpopo, so you would likely be hunting Limpopo bushbuck which I believe are a bit more expensive.
From your list of animals, a few are more likely night animals so you may want to take that into consideration. Honey Badger and Porcupine are two examples of such animals. You are very unlikely to shoot one in the daytime. Springbok may or may not be an option in Limpopo. East Cape or Karoo, no problem.
I know money and budgets are a real life consideration. Just no getting around it. But even if you need to get an evening job delivering pizzas or something, I would not go all the way to SA planning to hunt fewer than 5 animals or so. If it were me I would do something like Impala, Warthog, Steenbok or Duiker, Bushbuck for sure! and an opening for another animal or two, depending upon what Africa gives you.
I am speculating here, so take with a grain of salt - If you are hunting 5 or so animals you will probably not be charged for jackal or baboon. If you are only shooting 2 relatively inexpensive animals I doubt you’re going to get any freebies. Just my 2 bits.
Also, take a good camera with a good longer range lens. If you can only afford a couple animals, make the best of it and go hunting with a camera. If you don’t have one, see if you can borrow one. Might be able to find one on Craigs List for cheap. Hunting with a camera can be almost as fun as hunting with a gun. OK, maybe not, but still fun! :)
Go and have fun! And make sure you talk to your PH/Outfitter about some of these issues BEFORE the hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WesleyDuff

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]