What to pair with a .450/400 3" double?

30-06 or .300 win mag

A .375. In something multi-shot, scoped, and one barrel. A R8 would be perfect. Then you can leave the anachronism in camp, on the cruiser, or at home. :cool:
I should reply more seriously to your question. You seem to have chosen a .450 double as your DG rifle. I personally think that isn't the best choice for a first buffalo, but assuming you find an accurate load for it and dedicate the time and ammunition to use it competently, then I would pair it with .30 of some sort. These days, I suspect more PG are taken with the .300 WM than anything else. But a 30-06 would be just as good a choice.

The problem with the .450 and open sights is that your only chance at that ancient duga boy may occur at seventy yards through broken brush at a bull standing in the shadows with two of his pals. Sorting out that shot with a scoped .375 or .416 would be relatively easy, but could prove impossible with the double.

If you bring a scoped .375 or .416 for that eventuality (and have an extra tracker act as a gunbearer), then I don't get the point. Just bring the scoped rifle and enjoy your hunt.

I say 404, that way you’re covered for anything if the double is in the truck while you’re hunting PG and see a dream buff!

Oh, and I have a model 70 action for sale in the EE that is all setup for 404 :)

When does your double arrive?

Is that action lefty? I'm left eye dominant. I'm definitely looking hard at the .404 but I worry about ammo availability. Can't even find brass right now. Feel free to PM any sources on that if you know of any. I'm also considering the .400 H&H since I've got a lot of .411" bullets stashed away and a lot of .300 H&H brass/bullets/primers stashed as well. Maybe a takedown combo of the two? Still waiting on the double at the moment. Hopefully will be here in a year or so!

@Garrett89

IF you are having a rifle BUILT to pair with the 450/400 with the consideration of plains game; I would....

Have a TAKEDOWN .375H&H bolt action made so that you could fit both rifles in the same Pelican. Let's be honest traveling with a gun can be a pain but it's really not much more trouble to carry twoguns if they don't require separate cases.

The .375 would cover all the plains game big and small and but if you wanted a second .300H&H barrel and forend for the takedown bolt gun, it's certainly possible.

Thus if you were traveling to a country that will let you bring the takedown as one gun or allow 3 guns for one person you could have 450/400,.375&.300H&H all on the same hunt and same travel case.
My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking hard about doing a takedown combo .400H&H/.300H&H just wondering who the best gunmaker might be to handle the project?

Hi Garrett, if you haven’t posted pictures of your 89 please do.
As soon as I get it in hand I definitely will. There was a hiccup with the blank I chose being to short and I wasn't totally in love with the remaining couple of choices so I'm on the hunt for another suitable option or until they get another shipment in. Whichever comes first

My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking hard about doing a takedown combo .400H&H/.300H&H just wondering who the best gunmaker might be to handle the project?

I would say Dennis Olson no’s who I’d throw my rope at for that project.

He’s currently got my BRNO 602 and working on making a decent .404J out of it.

9.3x74R and a single shot 7x65R....

Nobodys says ".30-06".....(I know Its not exotic but it works).
I'm still looking very hard at the .30-06 now that you mention it. I've killed plenty with the .308 Winchester so I know the .30-06 will do just fine. I'll probably pair one with my 12 Guage Beretta A400 anyway. I made a deal with the boss a couple years ago to keep my rifles to 5 or less at any one time (duck guns and freedom dispensers don't count haha) so right now I'm thinking .30-06, .300H&H, .450/400, .400H&H, with the fifth still to be decided. Probably something unnecessarily large lol

Neither of the calibers you mention are bad. All good. The question is whether you want to go " full brit" for your African safari battery?....Then the there is no point of return. The .300HH, 318WR or .333Jeffery is a good companion to your .450/400 Jeffery. I would go for a straight wall cartridge like .450 or the .500Nitro. The .450Nitro is my favorite as it build on a smaller frame than the .500 or .470. Enjoy your process in finding right cartridge. Its part of the fun when there are so many different calibers to choose from.
awzvYQf.jpg
_333 Jeffery N&K 032 (Large).jpg
00dd550b-ee4a-4114-8b8d-238a43e61a7b_zpsuw0lskkq_resized_resized.jpg
20230819_155554.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    818.6 KB · Views: 47
I think it would depend on what you plan to do with it and hunt in the future. If I was to hunt dangerous game and plains game or North American game, I would step down to a 7x57 or 9.3x74R. If I was going to eventually hunt elephant, I’d probably go with a 416 or higher. I LOVE the .404, but I wouldn’t pair it with the 450/400, as they are nearly the same.

I enjoy the combination of my .416 Ruger Alaskan and .450-400 3&14” double. I realise the Ruger is a long cry from a pretty custom or semi-custom build, but living on the subtropical KZN northcoast, I really appreciate a rifle that is weatherproof, and that I can take out when the weather is so horrible that I would rather leave my double in the camp.

Obviously the scoped rifle gives you some more reach than the double if it only has open sights, as well as the 2150 fps extra that you get out of a 400 gr bullet. The same could be said for a .416 Rem or Rigby.

All that being said the most versatile rifle in my safe is an identical .375 Ruger. Naturally the .375 H&H is as good. There is something magical about 300 grains of premium bullet at 2400 fps that can do anything, from stopping a hippo at 10m to fetching a dream kudu at 300m.
I agree with your sentiment. I have a .375 ruger alaskan in the safe for the same reason. When it's super crappy out, and you know you're gonna beat the hell out of the gun - that's the gun to take

I think it would depend on what you plan to do with it and hunt in the future. If I was to hunt dangerous game and plains game or North American game, I would step down to a 7x57 or 9.3x74R. If I was going to eventually hunt elephant, I’d probably go with a 416 or higher. I LOVE the .404, but I wouldn’t pair it with the 450/400, as they are nearly the same.
Interesting, I was thinking if I went with the .404 it would be specifically because they're essentially the same. I think it would make sense to go with something with a little more reach though using a scope/irons combo. Would the .400H&H be a better choice in that case? Especially if pairing with the .300H&H in a travel model? Or just go for the .416 or .458 ?

458 when you have a 450/400....wrong direction...

My usual African combo is a K-gun in 450/400 and a scoped Sauer 404 in 375 with second barrel & scope set-up in 300WM.

Interesting, I was thinking if I went with the .404 it would be specifically because they're essentially the same. I think it would make sense to go with something with a little more reach though using a scope/irons combo. Would the .400H&H be a better choice in that case? Especially if pairing with the .300H&H in a travel model? Or just go for the .416 or .458 ?
I was torn between .404 and 450/400 but decided on the 450/400 because I wanted to use a double rifle. I still drool over the 404, but realistically, I doubt I would ever shoot one if I owned one. I hope this helps you understand my case. I have never used a .400 H&H so I can’t provide any help on that one.

I don’t see the value in bringing two guns that are ballistically the same. With a scoped double rifle, you can zero the first barrel you shoot for a given distance and take longer shots with it. It’s definitely part science, but also part art to pair guns with game.

My problem is my heart strings start overpowering my reasoning and I start thinking of how cool it would be to kill a Cape buffalo with a vintage double. I let my heart win, and I don’t regret it one bit. But I was in SA and shot my Buffalo with the 450/400 at almost spitting distance with iron sights. If I had been in a more open area where a longer shot was required, I would have had to use a scope. Fortunately I didn’t have to, and certainly didn’t want to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HolleyShep

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's