What the French Toast sticks is a .30-.303 or .303/30?!!?

Doyled96

AH member
Reaction score
Some of you may know by now I have an affinity for the .303 British and the .275 Rigby(7x57 Mauser). After doing more research on a load I want to try for my Brit I came across a .30-.303. But that is it, other than 1 guy who built one I really cannot find anything else on it. My assumption is its a .303 case necked down to a .308 bullet? Just like the 25/.303 is the .25 caliber projectile. Any information is greatly appreciated as always you guys are great!

Its exactly what it’s sounds like, a 308” calibre barrel on a 303 action, they were built a while ago as decent .311-312" bullets were hard to find for a bit. Any reasonably competent gunsmith could grind down the neck on a reamer to make it. Much the same as the 7.62x39 rifles that have .308“ barrels fitted. In some ways more practical, you just reload cartridges as normal but with .308“ projectiles
gumpy

Its exactly what it’s sounds like, a 308” calibre barrel on a 303 action, they were built a while ago as decent .311-312" bullets were hard to find for a bit. Any reasonably competent gunsmith could grind down the neck on a reamer to make it. Much the same as the 7.62x39 rifles that have .308“ barrels fitted. In some ways more practical, you just reload cartridges as normal but with .308“ projectiles
gumpy
So is .003 of an inch worth getting a whole new barrel for?

Same problem with Italian surplus guns from WWII. The Italians used .268" for their 6.5mm cartridge, while the norm is .264". This leads to pretty terrible accuracy when attempting to use Italian surplus rifles with modern bullets.

When these mods were done, yes it was, also a lot of places wouldn’t allow military calibre firearms for civilian, hence the range of 22/243/25/270/30/35/338-303 cartridges, and weird work arounds like the 7.7x54. The 7.62x39 to 30 cal was a lack of decent hunting projectiles, except for ruger who chambered a x39' in 308
gumpy

Same problem with Italian surplus guns from WWII. The Italians used .268" for their 6.5mm cartridge, while the norm is .264". This leads to pretty terrible accuracy when attempting to use Italian surplus rifles with modern bullets.
My gunsmith friend has the modified reamer for the .264 calibre cacarno. This oddball size issue is with lots of different chamberings such as the 275H&H and the 280 nitro/280ross/280halger magnum. If you can’t get the correct projectiles you fix the issue however you can if you want to keep shooting the rifle
gumpy

Normally it would be a retired target barrel. Din Collings RIP was, at one stage, taking retired target barrels that were no longer good for the Seddon Range at Trentham and rechambering them for .30-40 Krag so that people could continue using their old Lee Enfield hunting rifles.

My gunsmith friend has the modified reamer for the .264 calibre cacarno. This oddball size issue is with lots of different chamberings such as the 275H&H and the 280 nitro/280ross/280halger magnum. If you can’t get the correct projectiles you fix the issue however you can if you want to keep shooting the rifle
gumpy
I found a bunch of surplus Italian 6.5mm ammunition that I refurbish. I also found some PPU .268" bullets but haven't tried them yet.

considering there is an absolute metric crapton of available 30 cal bullets compared to what is offered in 303 than if you have the pockets and the desire it is a sound one. NOS barrels are getting rare and any other barrels are the same price as any other so using a preloved take off is a great idea

considering there is an absolute metric crapton of available 30 cal bullets compared to what is offered in 303 than if you have the pockets and the desire it is a sound one. NOS barrels are getting rare and any other barrels are the same price as any other so using a preloved take off is a great idea
A man in Canada has or had a web site called 303 British, & had a business building 308 / 303 & a improved version called 303 Epps or something like that, old Bob 35 whelen should know all about it.

A man in Canada has or had a web site called 303 British, & had a business building 308 / 303 & a improved version called 303 Epps or something like that, old Bob 35 whelen should know all about it.
His name was Ellwood Epps, I believe. The business was reportedly still going, a few years back. The Epps Improved .303 has a good reputation. Mostly used with the P14 but a good unissued--or barely used--No. 4 action might be a practicable option. A 'Siamese', actually 'Royal Thai' Mauser action could also be an action.
N.B. The Kingdom of Siam absorbed a neighboring kingdom in the 19th century in order to be large and powerful enough NOT to be colonized. The merged kingdom was named--in English--Thailand.

EPPS, Orillia, Ontario, Canada

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PHPKenneth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles