What scope do you trust? Most rugged, dependable rifle scope?

I like Zeiss HT, but not necessarily for ruggedness. The only Leica I see are at SW Ammo and half of them have something wrong with them! Must be my bad luck or a torturous display life.

I would never argue that NF is one of the toughest, if not the toughest against physical abuse. I’ve seen the videos of them being used as a hammer and they are tough. I’ve had 2 NF scopes and sold them as they are super heavy and I prefer a lightweight scope for the rifles I carry all day. If you don’t mind the weight and are looking for a range gun / long range rifle they would be hard to beat. I have seen the newer line of SHV scopes from them and heard they are lighter but I haven’t used one.

As @Berettaco posted, the NF NXS are relatively heavy. This is another video on their manufacturing process for the NXS.

I would never argue that NF is one of the toughest, if not the toughest against physical abuse. I’ve seen the videos of them being used as a hammer and they are tough. I’ve had 2 NF scopes and sold them as they are super heavy and I prefer a lightweight scope for the rifles I carry all day. If you don’t mind the weight and are looking for a range gun / long range rifle they would be hard to beat. I have seen the newer line of SHV scopes from them and heard they are lighter but I haven’t used one.

As @Berettaco posted, the NF NXS are relatively heavy. This is another video on their manufacturing process for the NXS.

The NXS 2-10 is only 20oz and the 1-8 is 17.6oz so some models aren't THAT heavy as compared to say a Leupold vx5 2-10 @ 17.9oz.

2-12x50 is not ideal for that. I used all Swarovski scopes during 30 years of hunting in different hunting scenarios.
2-12x50 is bigger and heavier, is a scope to use mostly “waiting” the animals than stalking. 2 Magnification is a little high for dangerous game, field of view is not the best. I would suggest 1,7-10x42 instead.
Heavier and bigger doesnt bother me, I´m considering using this scope because it´s the best I´ve got, the difference in magnification between 1,5 and 2 is very small (even less comparing to 1,7), and I find the red dot useful for different situations (low light-dense brush-snap shots-etc). I have and old Nikon scope that IIRC it´s 1,25-4x25, 30mm tube, but I dont like it because of the reticle, german N1. Also, in my country is almost impossible to find a 1-5 from Swaro, Zeiss, S&B etc. I may find a Leupold, but It´s not going to be easy.
The best ones I have now (two svaro´s and one S&B) came hidden from the other side of the river... if yow know what I mean...
I appreciate your advice (and others) and actually agree on it, but it´s also a matter of availability for me. I´m not 100% decided yet though

In this
Heavier and bigger doesnt bother me, I´m considering using this scope because it´s the best I´ve got, the difference in magnification between 1,5 and 2 is very small (even less comparing to 1,7), and I find the red dot useful for different situations (low light-dense brush-snap shots-etc). I have and old Nikon scope that IIRC it´s 1,25-4x25, 30mm tube, but I dont like it because of the reticle, german N1. Also, in my country is almost impossible to find a 1-5 from Swaro, Zeiss, S&B etc. I may find a Leupold, but It´s not going to be easy.
The best ones I have now (two svaro´s and one S&B) came hidden from the other side of the river... if yow know what I mean...
I appreciate your advice (and others) and actually agree on it, but it´s also a matter of availability for me. I´m not 100% decided yet though
In this case the better is the one you can have or afford it! I have a friend and his driven hunt scope was an 10x56 from IOR

I'm a Swarovski (1st) and Leupold (2nd) for rifle scopes. When I find a Z6 (Z6i) at a good price, it's go time. Recently snagged a Z5i and equally pleased.

I will NEVER...not ever again own a Minox (Blaser Corp is parent). Have had issues with 2 out of 3 of their scopes. Their warranty service is hot garbage. First scope issue was side focus on a ZEi which was their premium scope at the time. After a year of being jerked around they replaced it with a lower grade ZX5 (non-illuminated). Then less then 1yr of owning it, side focus issue again. This time they offered 30% off MSRP. Told them to keep it. I was done with them, can't trust their scope to hold up to range use there was ZERO chance I'd trust it on a $10K plus hunt.

Trijicon…..bomb proof. Used by Military and SWAT worldwide. I’ve got them on all my work guns and personal….pistol/shotgun/entry rifle/precision rifles and hunting rifles. Research them out.

I took a Nightforce and a Swarovski Z6 to Africa this year. No issues with either holding zero.

I’m supremely confident in the Nightforce to remain zeroed. I mounted it with Nightforce rings to their specifications.

I wish Nightforce made a Dangerous Game specific scope.

We sell all brands. I will rank them based on how many we send back for repair in order fewest to highest.
Nighforce, Swarovski, Leupold, Leica, Mepota, Vortex.
This is useful but, a better measure would be returns as a percentage of sales by brand. I have no idea as to the volume you sell annually but for example, If you sell 50 Nightforce scopes a year and send back 2, that's a 4% return rate . If you sell 500 Vortex a year and send back 20, that's also a 4% return rate.
Can you provide that type of data?

This is useful but, a better measure would be returns as a percentage of sales by brand. I have no idea as to the volume you sell annually but for example, If you sell 50 Nightforce scopes a year and send back 2, that's a 4% return rate . If you sell 500 Vortex a year and send back 20, that's also a 4% return rate.
Can you provide that type of data?
Very interesting, meaning you send more vortex back than anything? Warranty is great but it's no use when your optics break in the middle of a hunt.

The most rugged and dependable is hands down Schmidt & Bender .... drop it, run it over, bang on it, throw it against a rock, or whatever else you can think of short of shattering the glass this is the one I'd trust to still work and hold zero. I'd probably rank NightForce as number 2 (despite having to send one back). Then come all the other higher end companies (Swaro, Trijicon, Zeiss, Leica, Leupold, Kahles, etc).

That said the most popular magnified scope brand in my safe is Leupold and includes optics from the following families Mark4, Mark5, Mark6, Mark8, VX3, VX5, VX6, and some older vari-x gloss scopes. I've got multiple Schmidts, Swaros, Kahles, Trijicon, and NightForce scopes on guns as well. If it's a good deal, I've probably got a home for it. Red Dots I'm partial to EoTech, AimPoint, and Trijicon (pistol optics) guy.

With regard to the PRC Scopes, a lot of those rankings is based on a shooter's budget, sponsorship/discounts offered, and a few other factors. I can guarantee if you walked up and handed most of those guys your credit card and said buy whatever scope you want regardless of cost, a bunch of them aren't picking the optic they're currently shooting. Since we're talking PRS, I always thought the now discontinued Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS2's were some of the most underrated scopes for the money and seems like a fair number of guys are still running them in PRS matches.

The most rugged and dependable is hands down Schmidt & Bender .... drop it, run it over, bang on it, throw it against a rock, or whatever else you can think of short of shattering the glass this is the one I'd trust to still work and hold zero. I'd probably rank NightForce as number 2 (despite having to send one back). Then come all the other higher end companies (Swaro, Trijicon, Zeiss, Leica, Leupold, Kahles, etc).

That said the most popular magnified scope brand in my safe is Leupold and includes optics from the following families Mark4, Mark5, Mark6, Mark8, VX3, VX5, VX6, and some older vari-x gloss scopes. I've got multiple Schmidts, Swaros, Kahles, Trijicon, and NightForce scopes on guns as well. If it's a good deal, I've probably got a home for it. Red Dots I'm partial to EoTech, AimPoint, and Trijicon (pistol optics) guy.

With regard to the PRC Scopes, a lot of those rankings is based on a shooter's budget, sponsorship/discounts offered, and a few other factors. I can guarantee if you walked up and handed most of those guys your credit card and said buy whatever scope you want regardless of cost, a bunch of them aren't picking the optic they're currently shooting. Since we're talking PRS, I always thought the now discontinued Bushnell Elite Tactical XRS2's were some of the most underrated scopes for the money and seems like a fair number of guys are still running them in PRS matches.

Your experience with S&B is different than mine. I was running 3 PMlls on match rifles. The zero would always float, it would only be a few .1s one way or another. I lost trust in them and moved then down the line. They were replaced by Genll Razors. Never had a lick of problems.

The Razor line is built similar to the NightForce line of scopes. A lot of their lenses are glued in place.

NF has never let me down, just wish their glass was better.

Zero Compromise and Tangent Thata are newer Alfa glass. I can't speak to the durability of these. Glass is phenomenal.

Hensoldt is one that gets over looked. They do not have the best reticle choices. If they did, my bank account would hate me. Best glass to my eye.

Leupold, they have come a long ways I will give them that. I have personally witnessed to many go down in matches to trust them. That's just a thing I'm not willing to overlook.

You are 100% correct about the PRS scope list. Budget and sponsorship play big roles. I shot for Kahles, they had some funky things happen with thier scope. It too was replaced with a Genll Razor. 8 years and 13k rds later, with God only knows how many ups and downs on the elevation turret. It has never missed a beat. I'm now running Genllls on a few rifles, the glass is better and so far they are holding up.

In my experience, Schmidt & Bender is the best scope money can buy. I also have Zeiss and Swar, but SB has an edge above the other two. Tough, super bright, and the warranty also works far better than Zeiss and Swar. Nothing compares with Schmidt & Bender. Consider that they produce only riflescopes. Nothing else. No binos, no glass lenses, no...earrings! Just top quality riflescopes.

I don’t have as much experience with other high end brands. Here in Montana for years leupold was what people got for high end glass.

I’ll say that I think the legendary leupold reliability stemmed from their old school glass.

I’ve seen a fair number of people have issues with MK4,VX-5, VX6 and the cheaper lines. Loss of zero and wandering zero.

Other than a couple instances of abuse and several issues of loss seal I can’t say I’ve seen the same with the old variX 2/3 and VX 2/3 models.

For seeing a much larger number of older scopes they seem to have less long term issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaraRincon

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]