What scope do you trust? Most rugged, dependable rifle scope?

There is a guy on one of the forums...I think Long range hunting forum....that does a lot of tests with the different scopes. As far as toughness, Nightforce and Trijicon always seem to at the top of the list. I know a lot of people love Leupold, but I have had two give me issues holding zero. I haven't had any issues with my Leica, Trijicon, GPO, Nightforce, or Zeiss. However, according to his tests, the Zeiss and Swaro's do pretty terrible as well, same for Leupold.

I much rather have a scope that can stand up to abuse than one that "MAY" present me some issues but is clearer. Especially when traveling half way around the world. Another optic to look at that I think is going to be a hit, is TRACT optics. Have read nothing but good things about them and the one I looked through was just as clear as Swaro, but with the build quality for Nightforce or Trijicon.

There is a guy on one of the forums...I think Long range hunting forum....that does a lot of tests with the different scopes. As far as toughness, Nightforce and Trijicon always seem to at the top of the list. I know a lot of people love Leupold, but I have had two give me issues holding zero. I haven't had any issues with my Leica, Trijicon, GPO, Nightforce, or Zeiss. However, according to his tests, the Zeiss and Swaro's do pretty terrible as well, same for Leupold.

I much rather have a scope that can stand up to abuse than one that "MAY" present me some issues but is clearer. Especially when traveling half way around the world. Another optic to look at that I think is going to be a hit, is TRACT optics. Have read nothing but good things about them and the one I looked through was just as clear as Swaro, but with the build quality for Nightforce or Trijicon.

Those tests are on R-slide and most (all?) of the Leupolds fail to hold zero.

Edit- I guess that link is not permitted. Search R-slide scope evaluation.

I had a Nikon lose a seal and it fogged internally. That was over 30 years ago. Of the Nikons I have now, none as let go. And they sit various rifle calibers including .300WM, .375HH and my .458B&M. And they've all seen lots of trigger pulls. It's too bad they stopped making them.

I have S&B and Swarovski on the rifles I frequently utilize, with the exception of a Leupold on a .257 STW that I use every other year or so. I have quite a few other rifles with Leupold, Khales and US Optics. I have a Zeiss or two thrown in as well as others. From memory, other than reticle change, I have never sent a scope in for repair. Some of you shoot much more often than I do, but even on the big boomers, I’ve never had an issue with any scope. My dad had a lot of rifles, with nice glass, and his favorite remained a 742 Woodsmaster in .280 Remington with an El Paso Weaver fixed 4x. .

I’ve never had a ZEISS or Swaro hunting scope give me problems.
I once slipped on a wet rock and fell backwards with all my weight onto the scope. How the rifle stock didn’t break remains a mystery.
Went back to range and the zero was spot on.

For hard core target shooting, it’s difficult to beat a NF.

Zeiss and Swarovski never let me down. In binoculars as well. Leica Geovid and Ultravid binoculars are tops as well.

And as a curveball. I have a SIG Tango on my .243 PRS rifle right now that sees tons of abuse, and has thus far held up to all of it.

Lastly I control jackal and spotted hyena at nit with an ATN 4k thermal. Also never had an issue, but I will freely admit that the pulsars are miles and miles ahead.

Before choosing the brand you need to consider the gun and the way of hunting.
Is like “I want a car please recommend any”
I don’t think someone invented the perfect all round scope yet!!!

I have mostly Swarovski scopes on my hunting rifles - prefer the Z6 - been best around, dropped, slid down mounting etc - never had an issue with maintaining zero
The nightforce scopes are rock solid and super tough but I don’t like the weight

Leupold
Leupold
Leupold

I have mostly Swarovski scopes on my hunting rifles - prefer the Z6 - been best around, dropped, slid down mounting etc - never had an issue with maintaining zero
The nightforce scopes are rock solid and super tough but I don’t like the weight
Would you recommend a Z6 for a 416 Rigby? Do you think it won´t lose zero with recoil? I´m talking about a 2-12x50

Would you recommend a Z6 for a 416 Rigby? Do you think it won´t lose zero with recoil? I´m talking about a 2-12x50
Can I ask what do you want to hunt with that gun? And maximum shooting distance.

Photo of my 2.5-10 Trijicon Accupoint that took a good hit on the front. Pleading the fifth on how it happened. No leakage and held zero. Still have it mounted on a .17 Fireball for varmints.

Attachments

• 61B93173-6DAB-42C5-95C3-0052911B6694.png
    61B93173-6DAB-42C5-95C3-0052911B6694.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • BBCF517B-430C-4A32-AA61-5D7521AB7163.png
    BBCF517B-430C-4A32-AA61-5D7521AB7163.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
What do you need a 2-12x50 for a .416 Rigby for?

But yes Z6 and Z6i and any other swarovski scope will stand up to all the recoil you can throw at it. The mounts are likely to be the weak point instead.

I am searching for a new scope. I have 50 years experience. Looking forward to feedback & opinions. God Bless, Dale

I have not read what has been answered so far because it is difficult to answer this question if one don't know what kind of rifle and cartridge do you want to use your rifle for, nor for what purpose you want to use it for. There are certain differences for choosing a scope when it comes to hunting in the dense forest, in the high mountains or big game in Africa.

On my larger rifles (.375 and a Lott) I have a Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6 and a Z6 1-6EE respectively and neither have given me any trouble at all. My short range deer rifle wears a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 and my long range rifles all wear S&B PMII in 4-16 or 5-25. I have Leupold and have previously owner Nightforce and they are OKish but not a patch on Swarovski, Zeiss or Schmidt and Bender.
Out of the scopes I have owned I have the greatest amount of faith in the S&B PMII range. They will go to hell and back and keep working!

I have rifles caliber 7mm and rifles caliber .510 that are equipped with scopes. You can imagine that there are a lot of differences when it comes to the choice of a scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GenieWarke

Latest profile posts

quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa