steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
Dave Petzel once wrote "I decided that if I wanted to have a look at something, I wanted to have a GOOD look..." and bought what was then the outrageously priced Zeiss 15x60 BG/AT binocular. He then said that "When you use these, you can literally FEEL the heat of envy." I guess some kit still has that effect on people today. I know I feel that every time I go out with a nice drilling to hunt--even though many rifles cost more than what I gave for the drilling, it just seems that folks think it is too fancy or extravagant. Ditto with anything nicely engraved, even if the work was done pre-war and just came with the gun. What have people reacted to in your neck of the woods? Clothing? Firearms? Vehicles, etc.?
I suppose one could go out and get something on purpose (just to stir the pot) that would bring the reaction, after all, we're close to Christmas.

Dave Petzel once wrote "I decided that if I wanted to have a look at something, I wanted to have a GOOD look..." and bought what was then the outrageously priced Zeiss 15x60 BG/AT binocular. He then said that "When you use these, you can literally FEEL the heat of envy." I guess some kit still has that effect on people today. I know I feel that every time I go out with a nice drilling to hunt--even though many rifles cost more than what I gave for the drilling, it just seems that folks think it is too fancy or extravagant. Ditto with anything nicely engraved, even if the work was done pre-war and just came with the gun. What have people reacted to in your neck of the woods? Clothing? Firearms? Vehicles, etc.?
I suppose one could go out and get something on purpose (just to stir the pot) that would bring the reaction, after all, we're close to Christmas.
I have Swaros l would feel pity.

There is certainly ”stuff” I don’t have that I’d like to, but in the end it’s just stuff and relatively meaningless. As I get older it’s those experiences that others have had that I haven’t that I envy. A hunt in Maasai land or the Niassa with my sons for example.

Agree with Phoenix Phil, some of the hunts posted online make me envious. Seeing different parts of our amazing world and meeting interesting people and experiencing foreign cultures, I'm envious of the many who have been able to do this. I'm thankful for the reports so I can vicariously enjoy their adventures and think about the what if.

My own G5 jet…

HH

That brand new hunter with a Ruger American '06 that on their first hunt bags a Monster.

:)

I have seen some pretty poor, envious behavior when someone gets a big whitetail buck. People seem envious of others who own hunting land.

Personally I get a little green when others have time off of work. I work a lot and being my own boss doesn’t mean I can take off whenever I want!

Those with Cape Buffalo on their land.

FN

Don´t care about material stuff, experiences, yes, thats another thing altogether.

Hearing some go on yearly elephant hunts does make me a bit jealous, but it just means I'll need to work even harder! :)

What have people reacted to in your neck of the woods? Clothing? Firearms? Vehicles, etc.?
All above.
moreover, success: good trophy, medal in target shooting (those two in our branch), social status, good guns, vehicles, nice things, etc... you name it.,

Some people are envious, and they are better half of the crowd.
Some people are not envious.
I think, envious for other peoples things, or success, it is mixture of genetic predisposition. and mediocrity.

Envy isn’t something I typically struggle with. I am happy when people can make the most of what they have.

No one has envy of my gear: I have cheap, busted, hand-me-down things…because I am a cheap bastard. Always will be (except with whisky…I make an exception for that ;))

What makes people green with envy?​

Personality Disorder.
How true! Else why is there a difference between what we choose to spend on a safari, and what they feel is normal to spend on a euro vacation, or stateside elk hunt?

That brand new hunter with a Ruger American '06 that on their first hunt bags a Monster.

:)
Well, there is rotten luck, then good luck, then beginner's luck (post above) and finally bystander's luck--that's the kid that doesn't even want to really participate and still gets the trophy of a lifetime the first time, or as actually happened stuck a nine iron into a pond to retrieve a golf ball and had an 11lb bass ram itself onto the club trying to swallow what it obviously thought was a flashing spoon bait. That kind can be almost maddening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertaNilk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.